What to do with a 240 GB Kingston SSD that is no longer detected?

Old July 8th 20, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Default What to do with a 240 GB Kingston SSD that is no longer detected?

Hi all,

I had a 240 GB Kingston SSD that went silent on my big rig. I tested it on
another Win10 PC. I have a SATA/USB adapter and a power supply for SSD. This
has permitted me to extract files in the past so I think it is a truth
teller. A warm boot failed so a hard boot was required. The 240 GB Kingston
SSD was not detected. I was hoping to do a scan disk and repair it. I have
done this successfully with uSSD. Should I try this stunt on WinXP where it
worked? WinX uses NTFS like all the rest. I could try test it on the big
rig. Why would it go silent? Pin problems?

Any hope to recover files?

Thanks

Old July 8th 20, 03:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm Why wrote:
Hi all,

I had a 240 GB Kingston SSD that went silent on my big rig. I tested it on
another Win10 PC. I have a SATA/USB adapter and a power supply for SSD. This
has permitted me to extract files in the past so I think it is a truth
teller. A warm boot failed so a hard boot was required. The 240 GB Kingston
SSD was not detected. I was hoping to do a scan disk and repair it. I have
done this successfully with uSSD. Should I try this stunt on WinXP where it
worked? WinX uses NTFS like all the rest. I could try test it on the big
rig. Why would it go silent? Pin problems?

Any hope to recover files?

Thanks

Did you do a search on:

Kingston-part-number brick

and see if brickage is reported elsewhere ?

Older parts had more trouble with firmware failures
than newer parts. At one point, Intel rewrote some
Sandforce firmware because of problems it could see
in the code. Substitute the Kingston part number
for the Kingston-part-number field.

Brickage happens, for example, if the "critical data"
section of the SSD is corrupted. And that contains the
map from virtual to physical storage location. That's
how the controller "unscrambles" what is stored in the
Flash chip(s). Unfortunately, you cannot do a "linear scan"
of the Flash chip and use the data that way. Owning
a chip scanner is not enough.

Paul
Old July 11th 20, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

[...]

Thanks Paul for the leads. WinXP on my netbook can access files on the bad
240 GB Kingston SSD. DiskInfo says the drive is only 96% whereas 500 GB
Samsung is 100%. Failing drive is not even detected by Gigabyte BIOS (nor
Safe Mode Win10).

I went out and purchased a new Seagate Barracuda 500GB for replacement.
Restoring files comes later.