New build

Old April 13th 20, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default New build

As long as most of us are ****-in I thought now would be a good time to
build a new machine.

I usually order from NewEgg

Just checked and I see everything ships from China and to expect it in 8
days.

Just curious , is anything really shipping from China right now?
Old April 13th 20, 01:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Philo wrote:
As long as most of us are ****-in I thought now would be a good time to
build a new machine.

I usually order from NewEgg

Just checked and I see everything ships from China and to expect it in 8
days.

Just curious , is anything really shipping from China right now?

(Paywall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/b...ing-ports.html

Feb. 27, 2020

"We don’t see any abnormal situation in the ports — most of the ports
and for that matter the customs, are working at full capacity"

Shanghai agreed on Tuesday to let trucks enter and leave the city
with few health checks, even as people arriving in cars and buses
remain subject to lengthy scrutiny and, in some cases,
14-day quarantines.

Air cargo operations have been differently affected. The cancellation
of flights in and out of China has been so extensive that freight
forwarders have had a very hard time finding any space at all on
planes for their shipments.

So yes, the system is "working", some factories have stock
from January, and there is a shortage of trucks to get the
materials to any shipper.

The lockdown has come off Wuhan, but I don't know how that
makes a difference.

Material from China takes a month by ship, and the quoted
eight days can't be an actual ship. For example, when brand
new motherboards are released, sometimes people in Europe get
them before North America, and the travel by ship (40 foot
containers) is the reason for the delay.

Air transport should be short.

At a guess, the eight days is partially, trucking across the
land mass of China, to an airport that is handling freight.

I'm sure our airport here, freight flights are still happening,
but air flights are way down, judging by the noise level. This
time of day, I'd be faintly hearing air flights in the background,
and that's not there right now. I don't think the airport is
"closed", there's just a lack of scheduled flights. Especially
as some flights were going with only one passenger on board.

The Chinese situation is very much a patchwork, as it would
be here if you asked the same question. The rules here are
very fluid, and you can see stupid things happen now and again.

Imagine having people driving transports, and no place for
them to stop and take a ****.

Paul
Old April 13th 20, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 4/13/2020 7:56 AM, Paul wrote:
Philo wrote:
As long as most of us are ****-in I thought now would be a good time
to build a new machine.

I usually order from NewEgg

Just checked and I see everything ships from China and to expect it in
8 days.

Just curious , is anything really shipping from China right now?

(Paywall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/b...ing-ports.html

Â*Â* Feb. 27, 2020

Â*Â* "We don’t see any abnormal situation in the ports — most of the ports
Â*Â*Â* and for that matter the customs, are working at full capacity"

Â*Â* Shanghai agreed on Tuesday to let trucks enter and leave the city
Â*Â* with few health checks, even as people arriving in cars and buses
Â*Â* remain subject to lengthy scrutiny and, in some cases,
Â*Â* 14-day quarantines.

Â*Â* Air cargo operations have been differently affected. The cancellation
Â*Â* of flights in and out of China has been so extensive that freight
Â*Â* forwarders have had a very hard time finding any space at all on
Â*Â* planes for their shipments.

[...]

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks.

I have purchased directly from China using eBay and it took about ten
days to get here.

If I do build a new machine there will sure be no hurry to do so.

I'm typically years behind the curve but do want to retire this DDR-3
Celeron one of these days.

Of course, I have at least four other machines I can use.
Old April 14th 20, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

On 14/04/2020 12:56 am, Paul wrote:
Philo wrote:
[...]

There have been problems with truckers in Australia not being able to buy ready-to-eat food on
long-haul trips recently. A lot of them used to use fast food joints and restaurants.

I've been getting packages from Aliexpress, about one a week for the last four weeks though I
believe most come from Shenzen.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old April 14th 20, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Philo wrote:
As long as most of us are ****-in I thought now would be a good time
to build a new machine.

I usually order from NewEgg

Just checked and I see everything ships from China and to expect it
in 8 days.

Just curious , is anything really shipping from China right now?

(Paywall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/b...ing-ports.html

Â*Â*Â* Feb. 27, 2020

Â*Â*Â* "We don’t see any abnormal situation in the ports — most of the ports
Â*Â*Â*Â* and for that matter the customs, are working at full capacity"

Â*Â*Â* Shanghai agreed on Tuesday to let trucks enter and leave the city
Â*Â*Â* with few health checks, even as people arriving in cars and buses
Â*Â*Â* remain subject to lengthy scrutiny and, in some cases,
Â*Â*Â* 14-day quarantines.

Â*Â*Â* Air cargo operations have been differently affected. The cancellation
Â*Â*Â* of flights in and out of China has been so extensive that freight
Â*Â*Â* forwarders have had a very hard time finding any space at all on
Â*Â*Â* planes for their shipments.

[...]

Thanks

I think for now though I can hold off on building a new machine
Old April 19th 20, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default New build Follow up

On 4/12/20 8:26 PM, Philo wrote:
As long as most of us are ****-in I thought now would be a good time to
build a new machine.

I usually order from NewEgg

Just checked and I see everything ships from China and to expect it in 8
days.

Just curious , is anything really shipping from China right now?

I actually found a better mobo right in my workshop.

Better CPU specs than the machine I'm using

Quad Core Celeron vs i5

For the task that I wanted to improve, there was not difference in
performance.

Machine is dual boot Win10 vd Ubuntu 20.04

Thumbnail rendering of images considerably faster on Windows

Old April 19th 20, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

philo wrote:
On 4/12/20 8:26 PM, Philo wrote:
As long as most of us are ****-in I thought now would be a good time
to build a new machine.

I usually order from NewEgg

Just checked and I see everything ships from China and to expect it in
8 days.

Just curious , is anything really shipping from China right now?

I actually found a better mobo right in my workshop.

Better CPU specs than the machine I'm using

Quad Core Celeron vs i5

For the task that I wanted to improve, there was not difference in
performance.

Machine is dual boot Win10 vd Ubuntu 20.04

Thumbnail rendering of images considerably faster on Windows

The only thing Windows doesn't thumbnail rapidly, is PDF files.
I haven't checked recently, to see if that's changed.

Paul
Old April 19th 20, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 4/19/20 3:51 PM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:
On

snip

Thumbnail rendering of images considerably faster on Windows

The only thing Windows doesn't thumbnail rapidly, is PDF files.
I haven't checked recently, to see if that's changed.

Â*Â* Paul

I am looking at jpg and tiff

Since I need to use Windows anyway to fully utilize my printer and
scanner , this is not a big deal, but still I wanted to improve my
performance on Linux

I have two dual boot machines in my office so can run tow operating
systems at once if I need to
Old April 19th 20, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

philo wrote:
On 4/19/20 3:51 PM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:
On

snip

Thumbnail rendering of images considerably faster on Windows

The only thing Windows doesn't thumbnail rapidly, is PDF files.
I haven't checked recently, to see if that's changed.

Paul

I am looking at jpg and tiff

Since I need to use Windows anyway to fully utilize my printer and
scanner , this is not a big deal, but still I wanted to improve my
performance on Linux

I have two dual boot machines in my office so can run tow operating
systems at once if I need to

There's a race car for every occasion :-)

https://superuser.com/questions/2496...ator-for-linux

Paul
Old April 20th 20, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Philo565

Thanks.