platen clean

Old October 1st 09, 02:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Periproct

Default platen clean

Has anybody got an alternative to platen clean for platen clean for cleaning
rubber rollers? Preferably something that can be found around the house or
in local shops in the UK. My problem is dust more than old age. (!)

Very frustrating as I had a bottle of platen clean sitting between my
keyboard and monitor. Had a big tidy and now it is nowhere to be found.
Hence I don't want to mail order a new bottle.

Old October 1st 09, 06:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Periproct wrote:
Has anybody got an alternative to platen clean for platen clean for cleaning
rubber rollers? Preferably something that can be found around the house or
in local shops in the UK. My problem is dust more than old age. (!)

Very frustrating as I had a bottle of platen clean sitting between my
keyboard and monitor. Had a big tidy and now it is nowhere to be found.
Hence I don't want to mail order a new bottle.

An MSDS for generic platen cleaner shows it as 50% limonene and 20-40%
chlorinated paraffin.

Web searches show that limonene is apparently the oil from citrus peel.
And the paraffin is, well, wax.

Next time I have some old rollers to rejuvenate, I'm going to try orange
peel on them.

Old October 1st 09, 06:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Periproct

"Warren Block" wrote in message
.. .
Periproct wrote:
Has anybody got an alternative to platen clean for platen clean for
cleaning
rubber rollers? Preferably something that can be found around the house
or
in local shops in the UK. My problem is dust more than old age. (!)

Very frustrating as I had a bottle of platen clean sitting between my
keyboard and monitor. Had a big tidy and now it is nowhere to be found.
Hence I don't want to mail order a new bottle.

An MSDS for generic platen cleaner shows it as 50% limonene and 20-40%
chlorinated paraffin.

Web searches show that limonene is apparently the oil from citrus peel.
And the paraffin is, well, wax.

Next time I have some old rollers to rejuvenate, I'm going to try orange
peel on them.

I'm off to work in a while. I may stop off and buy some oranges on the way.
I'll let you know.

Thanks for the info.

Old October 2nd 09, 09:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Chlorinated paraffins include a large group of compounds and not all of
them act as waxes. Most are liquids, although the more chlorine the
more viscose they are. Many of toxic on ingestion.

You are correct that orange oil is used in platen cleaner. It can also
be rather hostile to certain plastics, so use with caution. Citrus based
solvents are used in all sort of industrial applications to replace more
toxic solvents these days.

For just removing paper dust from rubber, you can use a slightly damp
cloth with water on it. For more stubborn residue you can use isopropyl
alcohol, although using that too often can harden the rubber surface,
which is opposite of what you want.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old October 2nd 09, 02:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Periproct

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
Chlorinated paraffins include a large group of compounds and not all of
them act as waxes. Most are liquids, although the more chlorine the more
viscose they are. Many of toxic on ingestion.

You are correct that orange oil is used in platen cleaner. It can also be
rather hostile to certain plastics, so use with caution. Citrus based
solvents are used in all sort of industrial applications to replace more
toxic solvents these days.

For just removing paper dust from rubber, you can use a slightly damp
cloth with water on it. For more stubborn residue you can use isopropyl
alcohol, although using that too often can harden the rubber surface,
which is opposite of what you want.

Art

After my last post I thought twice about orange peel due to the acidic
nature of citrus fruits.

The problem is my Disk Stakka not ejecting disks. I have wiped the rollers
with a damp handkerchief but they still looked gray rather than black so I
assumed I'd transferred fibres from the handkerchief. I took the thing to
work last night and watched it in operation and it seems the that when the
disk being ejected hits the rollers, the rollers stop turning.
The drive belts do seem to be rather slack and having already had a Google
and found people have successfully replaced the belts with rubber bands I'd
already Ebayed a set of assorted belts. Now I just have to work out how to
remove the bit that holds all the disks to get at the drive belt and hope I
have one that fits.

Old October 3rd 09, 12:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Periproct

"Periproct" wrote in message

[...]

For anybody that is remotely interested......
Found a Stakka dismantling video on YouTube. Of the assorted belts I bought,
I only had the right size to replace the one that drives the rollers that
eject the disk - but that was the one I wanted.
My Stakka is now back in business and reliably ejecting disks.

Old October 3rd 09, 11:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Thanks for your report. It may be useful information for anyone using
that device.

Luckily, most electronics even highly mechanical devices are getting
away from using rubber belts to drive things and going to either mylar
belts, or using stepper or other types of motors and gearing.

Old October 3rd 09, 11:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bast

Periproct wrote:
[...]

Just open the top and pour a quart of orange juice in.
And the vitamin C will keep your printer from getting scurvy.