Where's this message coming from?

Old July 12th 06, 03:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Robert

Default Where's this message coming from?

I have a A8N-SLI premium with AMD dual core CPU. I recently had a virus
which I've successfully removed but at boot up I get the message "You may
have a virus" or something like that and I have to press "enter" twice to
get the system to boot. Where does this message come from and how do I get
rid of it?

Old July 12th 06, 03:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
David H. Lipman

From: "Robert"

| I have a A8N-SLI premium with AMD dual core CPU. I recently had a virus
| which I've successfully removed but at boot up I get the message "You may
| have a virus" or something like that and I have to press "enter" twice to
| get the system to boot. Where does this message come from and how do I get
| rid of it?

Look in the BIOS sttings.
It sound like a protection scheme for Boot Sector Infectors.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old July 12th 06, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

A virus module that you missed could be trying to modify the boot
sector, and boot sector virus protection could be turned on in the BIOS.
If that is the case (I can only speculate), the message is coming from
the Virus, because something is trying to write to the boot sector.
That protection can be turned off in BIOS setup, but I'd be hesitant to
do so until I knew what was trying to write to the boot sector (and why).

Old July 12th 06, 04:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

The reference won't necessarily be to a virus, it may be to the boot
sector. But this is a pretty universal feature, it's probably present.
However, I'd be real hesitant to turn this off until you understand
what's going on and why.

Robert wrote:

Thanks Dave, I've looked in the bios setup, maybe I'm blind but I can't find
reference to a virus there.
rtm

From: "Robert"

Old July 12th 06, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Robert

Thanks Barry -- I might add that the hard drive has been formatted at least
twice and 3 virus scanners run (in dos mode) and have all come up empty
handed. I'm unable to find any reference to virus protection in the boot
configuration.
rtm

Old July 12th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Friedrich Wuelfing

Thanks Barry -- I might add that the hard drive has been formatted at
least twice and 3 virus scanners run (in dos mode) and have all come up
empty handed. I'm unable to find any reference to virus protection in the
boot configuration.

Did you use "FDISK /MBR" before partitioning and formatting?
Info he
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013/en-us

Old July 12th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ben Dover

"Friedrich Wuelfing" blabbered in
:

Thanks Barry -- I might add that the hard drive has been formatted at
least twice and 3 virus scanners run (in dos mode) and have all come
up empty handed. I'm unable to find any reference to virus protection
in the boot configuration.

Did you use "FDISK /MBR" before partitioning and formatting?
Info he
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013/en-us

Unfortunately, not many people seem to know about the MBR switch, thinking
a simple format will cure any hard disk problem. As you know - that's just
not so.
Old July 12th 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
frischmoutt

Don't click at all on the OK button. It may be equivalent to accept a
malware.
Either it's an hoax or a kind of spyware or worse. Download Hijackthis,
launch it and post your report on the appropriate site to get help.
Everything is well explained within the HiJackThis package.
Good luck

SlZsg.108756$A8.25285@clgrps12...

Old July 12th 06, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
David H. Lipman

From: "frischmoutt"

| Don't click at all on the OK button. It may be equivalent to accept a
| malware.
| Either it's an hoax or a kind of spyware or worse. Download Hijackthis,
| launch it and post your report on the appropriate site to get help.
| Everything is well explained within the HiJackThis package.
| Good luck

I really don't think there is a need to run HJT in this scenario.

However....

Forums where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.
NOTE: Registration is REQUIRED before posting a log
NOTE: Web sites NOT listed in any particular order

http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://forum.networktechs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18
http://forums.techguy.org/f54-s.html
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7

Old July 12th 06, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ronald Cole

Ben Dover writes:
"Friedrich Wuelfing" blabbered in
:

Thanks Barry -- I might add that the hard drive has been formatted at
least twice and 3 virus scanners run (in dos mode) and have all come
up empty handed. I'm unable to find any reference to virus protection
in the boot configuration.

Did you use "FDISK /MBR" before partitioning and formatting?
Info he
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013/en-us

Unfortunately, not many people seem to know about the MBR switch, thinking
a simple format will cure any hard disk problem. As you know - that's just
not so.

A low-level format of the hard-drive would, though.

Ronald Cole Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152