:(( One Precision 670 and two different MOBOs ?? :(((

Old November 16th 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default :(( One Precision 670 and two different MOBOs ?? :(((

Hi all,

I was shock and negatively surprised today to find out that Dell
Precision 670 would ship with Chipset Intel E7525 but Dell has two
revisions for this very same MOBO: one that is Xeon Paxville 2.8Ghz DC
enabled and another one that is NOT upgradeable only up to Single Core
3.6Ghz speed.

By the Murphy law of course I got the one that is NOT Xeon Paxville
enabled my question now is how do I find and buy the one that is
Paxville enabled to do the upgrade? part number? I got as far as
finding out a part code XC837 and a few matches in ebay but not sure
if this is the one Paxville enabled or not? I am already asking the
those ebay sellers.

When I call support and ask the answer is ... HUH? No comments!

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Giovanni

PS: Dell policy regarding upgrading really sucks.
Old November 16th 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
[...]

Looks to me like you've nailed the correct part number for PAX.
http://tinyurl.com/2e4ubs

I would call Dell Spare Parts (for a price reference to compare the ebay
stuff) and also reference the part XC837. My main concern is if the VRM
comes with the board and in *what specific configuration* it is required:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1137366

And if it is required to run (2) Core2Duos = Quad, what is the part number
and the cost?
See this: http://tinyurl.com/2fa74j

Dell spare parts: 1-800-357-3355

*I would be shocked if the price(s) from Dell aren't astronomical.

Good luck,

Stew

Old November 17th 07, 02:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
bravegag

Hi Lewis,

Many thanks for your helpful response!

I will certainly call Dell spare parts section to double-check but
indeed there are two motherboard codes for Precision 670:

- XC837 that seems to be the revised version that supports Paxville
- X0392 that seems to be the one I have (where can I find the part
number?)

There are separate ebay offers for each of these.

I alreay got my two Paxville power hungry demons only waiting to
get the right mobo. It's been so much hassle getting this upgrade ...
you find more upgrade info about Dell products in ebay than in Dell's
website )) obviously Dell wants to make it difficult upgrading and
easy buying new ...

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Giovanni

Old November 18th 07, 12:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"bravegag" wrote in message
Hi Lewis,

Many thanks for your helpful response!

I will certainly call Dell spare parts section to double-check but
indeed there are two motherboard codes for Precision 670:

- XC837 that seems to be the revised version that supports Paxville
- X0392 that seems to be the one I have (where can I find the part
number?)

snip

Regarding your present system board D/PN (Dell part number), it should be
present on a barcode on the board, buried in the midst of a bunch of other
numbers.

Something similar to this example, in the 2nd or 3rd group of numbers
(reading right to left):
http://www.fcs.uga.edu/cs/helpdesk/g...rple-lines.gif

Obviously, all D/PN's are 5 characters, usually alpha-numeric.

You might wish to enter your system service tag over at www.support.dell.com
/ "warranty information" / enter tag / "original system configuration"
tab....... and see if the planar/system board is listed there (it may not
be, but worth a try.)

Stew

AMD64 mobos Thomas Wendell Homebuilt PC's 0 June 3rd 05 06:08 PM
A64 mobos for $80 - You get what you pay for... : ( KMS Overclocking AMD Processors 9 February 29th 04 01:25 PM
A64 mobos for $80 Yousuf Khan General 38 February 29th 04 01:25 PM
A64 mobos for $80 Yousuf Khan Intel 11 February 29th 04 01:25 PM
Life yet for your old A7v (and others) mobos?? Joe101 Asus Motherboards 0 February 20th 04 08:29 PM