communications problem-- modem??

Old November 15th 07, 04:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MB_

Default communications problem-- modem??

Hi. I have a Dell dim 2400. It has a cable modem and a router.
I have an Inspiron 2200 wireless.

I have had no problems for about 5 years. I couldn't be more pleased with my
ISP and the service.

Two days ago, I suddenly couldn't get connected. It would say Page Not
Found.

I called my ISP. They suggested I unplug my modem for a minute and then plug
it back in so it would reset and then do the same with my Linksys router.
That worked perfectly.

Today, I had the same symptoms. I did it again and now all is fine.

Any ideas? Could this be a modem going bad? A router going bad? Problems at
the ISP (which I doubt). Or is it probably something that just happened?

Mel

Old November 15th 07, 04:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"MB_" wrote in message
Hi. I have a Dell dim 2400. It has a cable modem and a router.
I have an Inspiron 2200 wireless.

I have had no problems for about 5 years. I couldn't be more pleased with
my ISP and the service.

Two days ago, I suddenly couldn't get connected. It would say Page Not
Found.

I called my ISP. They suggested I unplug my modem for a minute and then
plug it back in so it would reset and then do the same with my Linksys
router. That worked perfectly.

Today, I had the same symptoms. I did it again and now all is fine.

Any ideas? Could this be a modem going bad? A router going bad? Problems
at the ISP (which I doubt). Or is it probably something that just
happened?

Mel

Call your ISP and ask that they replace your cable modem.

Old November 15th 07, 03:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"MB_" wrote in message
Hi. I have a Dell dim 2400. It has a cable modem and a router.
I have an Inspiron 2200 wireless.

I have had no problems for about 5 years. I couldn't be more pleased with
my ISP and the service.

Two days ago, I suddenly couldn't get connected. It would say Page Not
Found.

I called my ISP. They suggested I unplug my modem for a minute and then
plug it back in so it would reset and then do the same with my Linksys
router. That worked perfectly.

Today, I had the same symptoms. I did it again and now all is fine.

Any ideas? Could this be a modem going bad? A router going bad? Problems
at the ISP (which I doubt). Or is it probably something that just
happened?

Mel

the problem could be the cable service, the cable modem, or the router.
if it persists for more than a couple of days i would focus on the hardware
(modem or router) and since most cable companies provide the modem as part
of the monthly fee then i would ask them to replace it at no cost to you.
but my gut feeling is that the problem is likely the router. i find that
most basic home routers do not last. in particular i have found this same
random disconnect behavior to appear with linksys routers that are over 3
years old. i guess the heat they generate simply destroys them in time.
but the good news is that you will find that a new router will actually
operate much more quickly than a five year old one... they just process the
data more quickly and improve the internet surfing experience even when used
with an older pc. good luck.

Old November 15th 07, 03:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
"MB_" wrote in message
[...]

That's certainly possible. And if it is the router, she could just direct
connect/cable the system directly to the modem and determine that in almost
instantly. Good suggestion.

Old November 15th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

The sequence of unplug cable modem, unplug router, replug cable modem, wait for
it's status lights to indicate an external connection, replug router is the
usual procedure recommended by a cable ISP whenever an internet connection is
lost. (Verizon techs ask you to do more or less the same with their DSL or
FIOS.)

Possible causes are unspecified problems at ISP (and they sure won't tell you
what they are!), loss of synchronization between cable modem and router,
hardware malfunction of cable modem, hardware malfunction of router.

This happens occasionally with my Charter cable internet setup, but not enough
to be bothersome. Maybe once every month or every 2 months. My cable modem is
the original I bought when Charter first came to town, and my router is an older
Linksys 802.11b. Maybe I'm due for a replacement of one or the other, but I
intend to wait until 802.11n is actually an approved standard. I don't use
wireless internet here much except mostly for testing computers being repaired.

.... Ben Myers

Old November 15th 07, 04:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MB_

Ben and Chris:

Well, my ISP is Charter.
My Linksys is the WRT54G.

Just a thought then:

If it happens again, would I hurt anything by just disconnecting the router
for a minute and then reconnecting it? If everything then works, wouldn't
that point to the router as the source of the problem (or could it still be
the cable modem).

This happened 2 days ago and then same thing last night, about 24 hours
later. I'm hoping this was just one of those Charter glitches.

Mel

Old November 15th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

my guess is that the router is your problem.
linksys is notorious for having that problem.
that model is .... well lets just say its low-end.
some people never have a problem with it, but many of my customers
routinely do.
try a nice dlink dir-655

Old November 15th 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MB_

Jay:

Well, I guess it could be. But, as I said in my original post, I've been
VERY pleased with my set-up. I've actually had ZERO problems for about 5
years (actually I've had the cable modem for longer than that and the router
for about 3 years), and this includes a move from one home to another.

But my question below still remains. If the problem occurs again and I just
unplug the router and then plug it back in AND if all works well then, does
that definitely pinpoint the router?

If yes and that transpires, I'll definitely be back asking for
recommendations. You might call the router a low cost one, but sure has
worked well!

Mel

Old November 15th 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

yes. good thinking. you clearly grasp the issue.
i was just elaborating on stew's initial good suggestion of getting a new
modem from the cable company if it is free... it can't hurt and in most
places you can just stop by the cable company store and hand them yoru old
one and get a new one... the only way to know the source of the problem
with certainy is testing as you suggest, yet the linksys is likely router is
likely at fault. i happen to really like the netgear wgr614 wireless g
routers. they are an excellent product that for some reason is consistently
a little less expensive than comparable linksys models ($39 vs 49).
spending nearly $100 on 'n' type wireless routers is a waste of money unless
you have a 'n' type wireless network card in your laptop...
newegg, amazon, and buy.com have it for $39 with free shipping and no sales
tax colelcted to most states. or your local staples store also has it for
$39...

Old November 15th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MB_

Well, Chris, it sounds like a plan anyway.
So far things are working perfectly (since last night!).

I realize a new modem would be free. But suppose it happens again, I unplug
just the router, plug it back in, and the problem is resolved. Is there any
point getting a new modem then.

Also, if I get a new modem, does that require a new installation (and if so
is it just a disk and an easy install)?

You mention NetGear. I know one thing I really liked about Linksys was their
24-hour customer service. When I got that, the installation CD would not
work right. I had to call them at 2:00 AM and they walked me right through
the manual installation including setting up security and reconfiguring
ZoneAlarm the right way. It took about 25 minutes. It was actually nice to
talk to someone with an Indian accent who knew totally what he was talking
about!!! Would NetGear be similar (or perhaps the installation would go
smoother anyway!)

Mel

wrote:

[...]

Lexmark Z25 Communications Problem vardaman Printers 1 December 19th 04 08:57 PM
problem with modem sreelal General Hardware 2 August 18th 04 11:14 PM
modem problem minerva nine General 9 May 27th 04 08:11 AM
Modem problem.. larry Compaq Computers 2 January 13th 04 11:54 AM
GA-7IXE4 - PCI Simple Communications Controller Problem [email protected] Gigabyte Motherboards 3 October 20th 03 11:07 AM