Delaminating CDs best way to recover, copy or retreive the DATA?

Old January 6th 08, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ron Cliburn

Default Delaminating CDs best way to recover, copy or retreive the DATA?

I have 4ea Digital Research Technologies 24x CD Recordable Media
that I had stored in a cool, dry,dark safe with several other CD's and
DVD's. All of the different media were stored on the same spindle.
While rearranging the items in my safe I looked through the disks and
noticed 2 of the above CD had penny to nickel sized areas of (for want
of a better word) delaminating where the silver was peeling off. 2 of
the other CD's has areas where the delaminating was starting.
I know that the information that was on the peeled off areas is gone
for good. And I'm now going to have to listen to my friend crow about
buying cheap media.
My question is, is there an easy way to copy the CD's to my hard drive
and not have to address each time tells me something is wrong and asks
what do I want to do?
If it is bad I don't want it, but I do want to copy all (and only) the
good and intact info.

The CD with the missing penny sized area will not even read.
And one other CD that has a little damage around the outer edge will
not read either, which seems odd for so little damage.

Is there a program of some kind that might help? I'd like to recover
the data as I said, but it is not a matter of life or death. But it
would be convenient if I were able to remedy the problem.
I don't know if it matters but all the files are text documents of
some kind.

When I store the important life or death information on CD's\DVD\s, I
copy it to two different brands of DVD's and store them in safes at 2
different addresses. Can anyone give me any more suggestions on how
to protect data that is backed up or what is the best media?

I had thought that the CD's and DVD's properly cared for would last
100 years or at least my life time. I guess not.
I've probably burned at least a thousand DVDs, and I've had maybe a
total of 10 go bad spontaneously, that gives me about a 1% failure
rate. That may seem good on the surface, but I'm guessing most
industries have a better rate then that ( I'm guessing here, I don't
know jack about industry). And while 1% may not be bad, it is if the
1% of Disc failures hold your critical data.

Any advice - well most advice, - would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
RC

Old January 6th 08, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Ron Cliburn wrote:
[...]

My first concern, would be whether the media still has mechanical
integrity. You don't want to try media, where the polycarbonate is
cracked. If a disc spins at high speed, it can damage the drive
when it flies apart. As long as it looks like it is physically
still sound, you could try it.

I see a program here, but don't know anything about it. It
is possible there are other leads on data recovery tools in
some Wikipedia article.

http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobuster

Paul
Old January 7th 08, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ron Cliburn

My first concern, would be whether the media still has mechanical
integrity. You don't want to try media, where the polycarbonate is
cracked. If a disc spins at high speed, it can damage the drive
when it flies apart. As long as it looks like it is physically
still sound, you could try it.

Thanks Paul, an excellent point. I use Nero v8.0 and it has a program
in it that will allow you to set the speed of the Disc from 1x up to
whatever. I don't know how to use it, but now seems like a great time
to find out.

I appreciate the polite and helpful response. Different then many I
see posted.
Thanks
RC
Old January 7th 08, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_5_]

"Ron Cliburn" wrote in message
[...]

::::in reference to your last post::::::
Problem is that NERO is referring to 'write' speed not spin up or read speed.

I have never seen yet, a disk with lamination peeling being 'read' by anything.
I lost a whole library of time life albums that I created in the CDR infancy days.

Old January 7th 08, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

"Ron Cliburn" wrote in message

My first concern, would be whether the media still has mechanical
integrity. You don't want to try media, where the polycarbonate is
cracked. If a disc spins at high speed, it can damage the drive
when it flies apart. As long as it looks like it is physically
still sound, you could try it.

Thanks Paul, an excellent point. I use Nero v8.0 and it has a program
in it that will allow you to set the speed of the Disc from 1x up to
whatever. I don't know how to use it, but now seems like a great time
to find out.

I appreciate the polite and helpful response. Different then many I
see posted.
Thanks
RC

I have used Isobuster 2 or 3 times when I was in dire need and found it to
be very good.

Regards, Rene

recover data Skeleton Man General 22 April 12th 07 12:17 AM
Any hope to recover data? sergio96w7 Storage (alternative) 3 March 2nd 07 03:09 PM
Copy/Clone/Recover data from drive with errors? William P.N. Smith Dell Computers 3 March 6th 06 10:28 PM
Data Recover: Format -> Windows Install -> Need Recover Ryan Hubbard Storage (alternative) 3 September 7th 05 08:35 PM
Recover data Ruby General Hardware 3 August 24th 04 03:04 PM