Premiere 6.5 and Matrox

Old February 1st 04, 06:21 AM
Copwriter

Default Premiere 6.5 and Matrox

Tonight I tried to open an old project that I had created in Premiere and
got repeated fatal errors. The project was a relatively simple one: I
captured the output from a video that was about 30 minutes long (using the
Matrox X.10 composite inputs from a VHS recorder), edited it into 13
segments, and then saved each segment as a separate *.mpg file using Adobe
MPEG encoder. The original capture file is still preserved uncut as
"complete.avi" and "complete.wav". All of this was done with the same
software (almost) and the same computer/hardware that I am using now.

I archived the entire project onto two DVDs using Roxio Retrieve. The
Retrieve file included a uncompressed copy of the entire project, and
another *.zip file that contained the same files as the project. So, I
basically had two copies of the project in the same Retrieve archive (this
wasn't intentional - I didn't notice it until I retrieved them). I used the
same version of Roxio Retrieve to uncompress the files from the two DVDs
that it took (using disk spanning) and write them back to an 120 GB hard
drive that is used exclusively for video editing.

When I first tried to open the project file in Premiere 6.5 (again, no
changes from when I created it), I was told that I lacked the Matrox Real
Time Viewing plug in and would not be able to view the file. I don't know
how that happened, but I tried to remedy this by downloading the updated
Matrox X Tools v. 5.0.0.4263 from Matrox. I uninstalled the existing Matrox
X Tools, rebooted, then installed the new Matrox X Tools.

When I open either the project (*.ppj) file or try to import the
complete.avi file into a new Premiere project, I get a fatal error message
that reads

The instruction at "0x1e0bfe6b" referenced memory at "0x0280ad1c". The
memory could not be "read".

The Premiere program then closes.

I can still open other projects created more recently, with no error
messages.

I am at a loss to understand what might be happening here. Anyone got
ideas?

Old February 1st 04, 12:12 PM
J. Clarke

Copwriter wrote:

[...]

When you get that error the first thing to do is reinstall your latest
Windows service pack.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old February 2nd 04, 02:45 AM
Copwriter

When you get that error the first thing to do is reinstall your latest
Windows service pack.

Been there, tried that, same result.

Old February 16th 04, 03:54 AM
mitchd

"Copwriter" wrote in message ...
When you get that error the first thing to do is reinstall your latest
Windows service pack.

Been there, tried that, same result.

I would suspect Roxio may have corrupted the file. I am also having
problems with Roxio Retrieve.
Old February 21st 04, 08:53 PM
Eric Wolfe

"Copwriter" wrote in message

The instruction at "0x1e0bfe6b" referenced memory at "0x0280ad1c". The
memory could not be "read".

Could be a conflict with another dll or ocx control trying to compete for
the same memory area. This is a low level memory read error from Windows.
I would also run Memtest86 to eliminate any possible memory errors - this
message can also be caused by bad memory modules. Since you only see it on
one file it's likely you would have seen it before if a memory module was
faulty.

If you have Dr Watson running and trapping errors, you can gain some
additional insight into what is happening at the "crash point."

It might point more clearly to the process that is causing the abend.

Eric