Req Another advice about MB

Old September 30th 12, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AS

Default Req Another advice about MB

My last PC upgrade has been 6 years ago. Still working Intel XBX2 and c2d
6600, but with the recent media I need something new. I don't play games,
use PC mostly for graphics, mainly RAW photos, very occasionally for video.
No need for double PCIE graphics cards, no fancy extras, prefer network by
physical cable. Earlier I used to have good luck with Intel CPUs and ASUS
mobos, just the recent one was out off the line. So, in short I need a good
stable mobo which can handle i5/i7 CPU. Another thing is so far I was not
able to like Win7, so WinXP drivers are also important. Any suggestions? TIA

Old October 1st 12, 01:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AS

"AS" wrote in message
...Any suggestions? TIA

Oh, I have discovered not all mobos recently have firewire connections, but
i still need them, at least just one. It seems to limit the search.

Old October 1st 12, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Peter Johnson[_3_]

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 14:08:45 +0200, "AS" wrote:

"AS" wrote in message
...Any suggestions? TIA

Oh, I have discovered not all mobos recently have firewire connections, but
i still need them, at least just one. It seems to limit the search.

Add-on cards are cheap enough.
Old October 1st 12, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

"AS" wrote in message
...Any suggestions? TIA

Oh, I have discovered not all mobos recently have firewire connections, but
i still need them, at least just one. It seems to limit the search.

Add-on cards are cheap enough.

Depending on where you buy them from, and how quickly you need them.

If you think you're going to immediately use a connector on the back,
it's better to get the function integrated.

Especially when some of the motherboard slots are blocked by a
video card and so on. I use four of seven slots on my motherboard,
and it would be a bit more difficult to use the other three. For
example, I'd like to install my old PCI sound card, but the remaining
PCI slot is blocked.

Paul
Old October 1st 12, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AS

"Paul" wrote in message

Especially when some of the motherboard slots are blocked by a
video card and so on. I use four of seven slots on my motherboard,
and it would be a bit more difficult to use the other three. For
example, I'd like to install my old PCI sound card, but the remaining
PCI slot is blocked.

Oh, yes, ditto, PCI sound and and one more is also occupied IMHO integrated
are just better. Meanwhile I have narrowed down my search to ASUS P8Z68-V
PRO/GEN3. Any reason why it could be a bad choice with i7 3770T processor?

Old October 2nd 12, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

AS wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Especially when some of the motherboard slots are blocked by a
video card and so on. I use four of seven slots on my motherboard,
and it would be a bit more difficult to use the other three. For
example, I'd like to install my old PCI sound card, but the remaining
PCI slot is blocked.

Oh, yes, ditto, PCI sound and and one more is also occupied IMHO integrated
are just better. Meanwhile I have narrowed down my search to ASUS P8Z68-V
PRO/GEN3. Any reason why it could be a bad choice with i7 3770T processor?

Pretty weird customer review distribution. 58% give 5 stars. 19% give 1 star.
So people either love it or hate it. That doesn't mean 19% had problems,
but some percentage of real users (not all of them submitting a review),
are having problems with it. A typical "real" failure rate for motherboards
is around 3%. More failures would result, if for some reason, some processor
models weren't properly supported.

In terms of feature set, it's pretty complete. About as much as
you can squeeze out of that platform.

If it was me, I would

Shop for a feature comparable second or third motherboard model,
then compare reviews. If the other boards have a more favorable
review distribution, head to the other brand.

In the manual, I notice they're careful to not name the Marvell
chip doing two of the SATA ports. In the motherboard picture,
it's listed as a 9172 (whereas the 9128 was the one with slightly
slow transfer performance with SSDs). So that means more
research, to find out whether the 88SE9172 fixes anything.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1037227/z...ata-controller

The USB3 controllers are by Asmedia. There are about five
different companies making standalone USB3, and a person buying
a board with USB3 should run a few Google searches to see if
there are driver issues at all. The only one I recollect with
issues, was ETron, but you'd best run a search and see whether
the Asmedia one is clean or not. I don't try to keep track
of USB3, as it would take a few too many searches to build
a big table of data.

You can also check the Asus forums, for more inspiration. This
thread is about the USB3 on that board.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

HTH,
Paul