Giga-byte motherboard - No sound

Old November 23rd 03, 08:00 PM
Gary Kaucher

Default Giga-byte motherboard - No sound

I am trying to get the sound to work on this IMA computer that I was
given, and I do not have any manuals or documentation or the original CD

that came with it. The first thiing I did was a clean install of Windows

98 (4.10.1998). Information on boot indicates - Intel 810 AGP SET BIOS
for GWMM7 Ver 1.1u IM. The onboard audio chip on the motherboard is
labelled Yamaha XG YMF744B-R 9914 WAIF

The motherboard is labeled as a Giga-byte GA-6WMM7 Rev. 1.3, so I
downloaded all the software that I could find for that model number from

the Giga-byte site, and installed it. Everything seems to work fine,
except that I have no sound. I suspect that the problem might have some

thing to do with AC97. I noticed that when I enable AC97 in the bios
that I get the following in Device Manager:

? Other Devices
?!PCI Card (no driver installed)
?!PCI Multimedia Audio Device (no driver installed)

Sound
Gameport Joystick
MPU-401 Compatible
Yamaha DS-XG Game Port
!Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound System
(Interrupt request is used by MPU-401 Compatible
(Input/Output Range 0330-0331 used by motherboard
resources)
Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC

Is there some software for AC97 that I haven't used yet that will fix
this problem? Or do I have to change a jumper or set up the bios
differently? Any help appreciated.

Gary

Old November 23rd 03, 11:26 PM
Gary L.

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:00:38 GMT, Gary Kaucher
wrote:

[...]

You need to get the *YAMAHA* drivers for the Yamaha 744 sound chip.
You do not need the Intel 810 AC97 sound drivers and they won't work.
The motherboard manufacturer should have the proper drivers; if not,
Yamaha may have some drivers available on their web site. I believe
that both Windows 2000 and Windows XP include Yamaha 7xx drivers and
they would be better alternatives than Windows 98.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
Old November 24th 03, 02:21 AM
Gary Kaucher

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the response. I am not really familiar with AC97. I noticed that
the AC97 chip in my computer was made by ADI, so I downloaded their AC97
drivers and attempted to install them. Something called Soundmax was
recognized, but there was some kind of error that indicated that I should
either reinstall the driver, or that the device was missing or not working
properly.
Since I originally saw the Yamaha 744 chip on the motherboard, I downloaded
the Windows 96 Yamaha audio drivers from Giga-byte and got the results that I
posted. Are you saying that I might have better luck if I download the
Windows 2000 or XP versions from Giga-byte?

Thanks,

Gary

Old November 25th 03, 04:14 AM
Gary Kaucher

wrote:

[...]

Update-
I disabled the AC97 audio in the BIOS and that got rid of the entries under Other
Devices in Device Manager. I unistalled the audio drivers, removed all references
to them in the registry, rebooted, reinstalled them, and configured them so there
were no exclamation marks in Device Manager. But I still don't get sound.
Actually, that's not completely true. If I put in a CD in and attempt to play it,
I can faintly hear music on two of the four speakers if I hold them against my
ears. It's really faint though!

-Gary

Old November 25th 03, 05:05 AM
Gary L.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 04:14:05 GMT, Gary Kaucher
wrote:

Sound
Gameport Joystick
MPU-401 Compatible
Yamaha DS-XG Game Port
!Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound System
(Interrupt request is used by MPU-401 Compatible
(Input/Output Range 0330-0331 used by motherboard
resources)
Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC

Thanks for the response. I am not really familiar with AC97. I noticed that
the AC97 chip in my computer was made by ADI, so I downloaded their AC97
drivers and attempted to install them. Something called Soundmax was
recognized, but there was some kind of error that indicated that I should
either reinstall the driver, or that the device was missing or not working
properly.

The Intel 810 chip set supports a software audio feature, but that
won't be used if you have a Yamaha sound system. "Soundmax" is a trade
name for a software sound system using an Analog Devices AC 97 chip
and the Intel audio support. This is NOT what you want to install: it
is the WRONG driver. The Yamaha sound chip is a DSP and does not use
the audio feature found in the Intel 810 chip set. There will be a
little AC 97 chip on the board but the Yamaha DSP chip does most of
the work and that's what you want the driver for.

Since I originally saw the Yamaha 744 chip on the motherboard, I downloaded
the Windows 96 Yamaha audio drivers from Giga-byte and got the results that I
posted.

Assuming you mean Windows 98, then those drivers should have worked.

Are you saying that I might have better luck if I download the
Windows 2000 or XP versions from Giga-byte?

No, you must use drivers written for Windows 98 if you are using
Windows 98. What I was saying was that Windows 2000 and XP include
drivers for Yamaha 7xx sound chips on the install CD. When you install
Win2000 or XP, it will detect the sound system and install the proper
drivers without you having to do anything. Since Windows 98 is a
pretty crappy operating system, your best solution is to dump it and
install something better, and all of your problems will go away.

Update-
I disabled the AC97 audio in the BIOS and that got rid of the entries under Other
Devices in Device Manager.

Those entries were correct for the Yamaha device. The problem was that
the drivers weren't installed or working properly.

I unistalled the audio drivers, removed all references
to them in the registry, rebooted, reinstalled them, and configured them so there
were no exclamation marks in Device Manager.

There were no exclamation marks because you disabled the device and it
disappeared from the Device Manager's view.

But I still don't get sound.
Actually, that's not completely true. If I put in a CD in and attempt to play it,
I can faintly hear music on two of the four speakers if I hold them against my
ears. It's really faint though!

It isn't going to work if it is disabled in the BIOS.

If you are still intent on using Windows 98, I would do the following:

1. Remove ALL existing audio drivers completely (including all
registry entries and deleting all driver files).

2. Download the correct driver for a Yamaha 744 chip and Windows 98,
either from Yamaha or Gigabyte. You don't need the DOS drivers or
legacy support unless you use DOS mode. You do need the Windows
drivers.

3. Enable the on-board audio in the BIOS.

4. Install the correct drivers and reboot.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
Old November 25th 03, 06:38 AM
stacey

Gary L. wrote:

Since Windows 98 is a
pretty crappy operating system, your best solution is to dump it and
install something better, and all of your problems will go away.

-If- the sound hardware on the mobo even works!

Cheaper/better solution (Rather than spend $150 on XP and then buy more ram
to get it to work, buy more new software etc) is to go buy a PCI soundcard
for $20-25 and it will have a win98 driver in the box that works.
--

Stacey
Old November 25th 03, 06:45 AM
stacey

Gary Kaucher wrote:

I suspect that the problem might have some

thing to do with AC97. I noticed that when I enable AC97 in the bios
that I get the following in Device Manager:

? Other Devices
?!PCI Card (no driver installed)
?!PCI Multimedia Audio Device (no driver installed)

Sound
Gameport Joystick
MPU-401 Compatible
Yamaha DS-XG Game Port
!Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound System
(Interrupt request is used by MPU-401 Compatible
(Input/Output Range 0330-0331 used by motherboard
resources)
Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC

Easiest/cheapest solution is to go buy a cheap PCI sound card and disable
the on-board one. What I've run into before is I had to disable the onboard
sound (and anything else I could disable in the bios like USB etc) before I
install win98. Then I install the drivers for the motherboard chipset,
reboot and let win98 install all those drivers. THEN enable one thing at a
time (and don't turn on MPU-401 or game port if you have those options in
the bios unless you need them) and let windows look for and install the
drivers.

From your last post sounds like the on board sound may be toast anyway so I
wouldn't waste any more time fighting it as a PCI sound card shouldn't be
more than $20-30, just DON'T get a soundblaster, their support and drivers
suck to put in mildly!

--

Stacey
Old November 26th 03, 04:02 AM
Gary Kaucher

stacey wrote:

Gary Kaucher wrote:

[...]

From your last post sounds like the on board sound may be toast anyway so I
wouldn't waste any more time fighting it as a PCI sound card shouldn't be
more than $20-30, just DON'T get a soundblaster, their support and drivers
suck to put in mildly!

--

Stacey

Thanks for your advice. Problem solved. The jack was a line in jack and
required amplified speakers! The speakers that were given to me with the
computer were not amplified. Previous owner either removed a sound card or gave
me a different
pair of speakers. Jack was not labelled "line in". Instead it had some kind of
goofy symbol on it that I couldn't figure out! Thanks again!

Gary

Old November 27th 03, 12:32 AM
stacey

Gary Kaucher wrote:

Thanks for your advice. Problem solved. The jack was a line in jack and
required amplified speakers! The speakers that were given to me with the
computer were not amplified. Previous owner either removed a sound card or
gave me a different
pair of speakers. Jack was not labelled "line in".

Wow I though ALL computer speaker sets were amplified?? Learn something new
every day!
--

Stacey
Old November 27th 03, 01:57 PM
George Macdonald

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:32:37 -0500, stacey wrote:

Gary Kaucher wrote:

Thanks for your advice. Problem solved. The jack was a line in jack and
required amplified speakers! The speakers that were given to me with the
computer were not amplified. Previous owner either removed a sound card or
gave me a different
pair of speakers. Jack was not labelled "line in".

Wow I though ALL computer speaker sets were amplified?? Learn something new
every day!

Some of the early soundcards came with a low powered amplified output as
well as a line out and a pair of umm micro-speakers to attach to the
former. I still have the ones which came with my old Orchid Soundwave32...
oh that reminds me: GRRRRRR

Rgds, George Macdonald

P4C800-E Deluxe - Recommended Sound card or use motherboard sound Butch Hinton Asus Motherboards 6 July 7th 04 07:04 PM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 10:51 AM
I think my FX5200 is damaged...........any way to verify? Dunny Rummy Nvidia Videocards 4 October 28th 03 04:50 PM
"Double" Sound or no sound on video capture Jess Ati Videocards 0 August 7th 03 11:19 PM
Problem with built-in sound when upgrading Jon Greene General 4 July 10th 03 10:41 PM