my computer will not turn on

Old June 18th 04, 08:35 AM
kevin

Default my computer will not turn on

when i push the power button on, the computer sounds like its starting
up properly, but the monitor says its not pluged into any thing. If i
wait a long time or if I turn it on and off over and over, it will
eventually work. Once it turns on, it works fine. I tried reseting
CMOS (or is it CMSO?). Yeah i hope a part of the hardware isnt broken,
but if any one has suggestions on what to do to try to fix it or any
diagnostic advice I'd appreciate it cuz i really want to solve this
problem.

THANKS!
Old June 18th 04, 12:52 PM
§

kevin wrote:
when i push the power button on, the computer sounds like its starting
up properly, but the monitor says its not pluged into any thing. If i
wait a long time or if I turn it on and off over and over, it will
eventually work. Once it turns on, it works fine. I tried reseting
CMOS (or is it CMSO?). Yeah i hope a part of the hardware isnt broken,
but if any one has suggestions on what to do to try to fix it or any
diagnostic advice I'd appreciate it cuz i really want to solve this
problem.

THANKS!

How long had it been since you turned it off till when you initially turned
it on?
What video card do you have?
What power supply do you have?
Recheck video card seating, power supply cable, monitor cable.
Etc...etc

Old June 18th 04, 04:39 PM
Noozer

"kevin" wrote in message
om...
when i push the power button on, the computer sounds like its starting
up properly, but the monitor says its not pluged into any thing. If i
wait a long time or if I turn it on and off over and over, it will
eventually work. Once it turns on, it works fine. I tried reseting
CMOS (or is it CMSO?). Yeah i hope a part of the hardware isnt broken,
but if any one has suggestions on what to do to try to fix it or any
diagnostic advice I'd appreciate it cuz i really want to solve this
problem.

- Bad power supply
- Failing mainboard capacitors
- Loose cables/cards/memory
- Failing mainboard/other hardware

1st - Inspect inside of PC paying attention to the capacitors. If any have
brown "goo" under them or the tops seem to be bulged you definately have a
problem. These can be fixed, but not easily. Bad caps could be faulty on
their own or a flaky PSU could cause them to fail.

2nd - Ensure that your cards/memory/cables are tight. Possibly unplug/replug
everything just in case there is oxide buildup on the conductors.

3rd - Swap the PSU for a known working unit. A multimeter may be able to
tell you if your voltages are bad, but it won't help for things such as
ripple and noise.

4th - Remove as much hardware as possible and see if problem exists. Keep
adding parts back until you see the failure. Once you find the failure, try
removing items that DIDN'T cause the failure to see if it still occurs - If
not, power supply is probably not strong enough, if so, the remaining part
is probably faulty.

Old June 18th 04, 06:40 PM
kevin

How long had it been since you turned it off till when you initially
turned
it on?
What video card do you have?
What power supply do you have?
Recheck video card seating, power supply cable, monitor cable.
Etc...etc

Ive tried turning it on right after it turns off, and it also happens
even when I wait over an hour.
I have an ATI 9600 128mb graphics card
I'm not sure what brand the power supply is. Its probably around 300
watts. It came with the computer case i got.
Old June 18th 04, 09:46 PM
ric

kevin wrote:

when i push the power button on, the computer sounds like its starting
up properly, but the monitor says its not pluged into any thing. If i
wait a long time or if I turn it on and off over and over, it will
eventually work. Once it turns on, it works fine. I tried reseting
CMOS (or is it CMSO?). Yeah i hope a part of the hardware isnt broken,
but if any one has suggestions on what to do to try to fix it or any
diagnostic advice I'd appreciate it cuz i really want to solve this
problem.

When your system fails to start, what is the voltage on pin 9? If it is
less than 4.75v, either a) the logic on your motherboard is shorting
b) your +5vsb is under powered, or c) your PS is bad. It is
most likely a combination of b) and c).

If your +5vsb is OK, measure pin 14 of the PS/MB connector. If it is 0.8v
(and the +5vsb is OK), the power supply should be on. If pin 14 is 0.8v,
the +5vsb is OK, and the PS is OFF, the PS is bad. If pin 14 is 2.0v, the
power supply is being told to stay OFF by the MB. If depressing the front
panel ON/OFF switch does NOT lower pin 14 to 0.8v (and the +5vsb is OK),
then the problem is NOT the power supply, but rather MB related.
Old June 19th 04, 04:33 AM
w_tom

Time to collect facts. That starts with signals and power
on wires between motherboard and power supply. Voltages,
especially those on red, orange, and yellow wires, must be
within upper 3/4 of those limits. If power supply does not
send correct signal to motherboard, then computer will not
boot. You cannot see electrons which is why two important
tools are required - the screwdriver and a 3.5 digit
multimeter. Latter so ubiquitous as to even be sold in Sears,
Home Depot, Lowes, and Radio Shack. Rest of procedure that
only takes tens of seconds was posted previously:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

Once you have established power supply integrity, only then
are you ready to move on to other usual suspects. Without
those numbers from that meter, then every helpful response
will only be wild speculation. Get the meter and use the
procedure; to save time and money; start with known facts.