A7V8x-x installed and nothing is happening! HELP!

Old June 22nd 03, 02:31 PM
Linh Le-Huy

Default A7V8x-x installed and nothing is happening! HELP!

similar problem here..

brand new all components.. took out all ide channels. turn it on,
motherboard light comes on, fan spins.. but nothing else.. no POST
sequence.. tried it without RAM (one stick of ddr333 512) and still same
thing. checked all jumpers, all fine..

interesting thing is that the pc speaker emits no noise. well it makes alil
drony noise but no beeps for diagnostic...

a7v8x, amd xp2400...

[ Linh Le-Huy ] "a saddened goodbye to the world
[ P H O R T E ] with a smile so blurry"
[ ICQ20706118 ] - dequinix

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
(Mike) wrote in message

. com...
(Mark Snyder) wrote in message
. com...
(Mike) wrote in message
. com...
I installed the A7v8x board with an AMD 2200 cpu and one stick of
pc3200 512MB ram and I can't even get it to post. The CPU fan turns
halfway then nothing else. I unhooked all the drives and cards and
still same result. I even tried booting without the ram and it did

the
same thing. Any suggestions?

Mike

I had a simalar problem. For me it was a power supply problem. I had
an old cheap PC with a 180W power supply, that I put the A7N8X deluxe
into. When I powered it up, it would beep but nothing else. I tried
several things to troublesoot the problem, stripping down the MB
(didn't work) and goin back to the old MB (did work). One thing I
noticed that the green power LED in the middle of the A7N8X would go
out when I tried to boot it. This lead me to believe that it was a
power supply issue. I had a unused tower case with a 300 W power
supply. When I put it in there it worked fine. This is what I'm using
now and all interfaces and features work great.

My theory is that with all the interfaces (2 ethernet, 6 usb, 2 1394,
audio, plus new chipset) the A7N8X draw more power and has a bigger in
rush current spike. From past experiences with switching power
supplies, if they can't handle this spike at start up, they shut down.

If you have a small power supply, look to see if the power LED in the
middle of the board goes out when it cuts off. If it does I would try
a bigger power supply to see if that takes care of the issue.

Mark

Well, I found that an old motherboard mount was touching the board so
I removed it. Then it actually started up. Then all it does is
"beep,beep,beep..." on into eternity. Nothing shows up on the screen
either. This board supports an 8x AGP card and I am using a 4xagp card
(MSI 8855) I figured it should be backward compatible. Maybe it's the
ram. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mike

Well, I tried an extra PC2100 and Duron 1.3 that I had laying around
and the board just kept on beeping. (tried the ram in every slot)I
lost count on the beeps after 20. And yes the extra CPU and ram came
from a working machine. I pulled off everything and tried to boot with
and without AGP card. I also tried to plug in the chassis fan near
the bottom of the board and it didnt give any power to that fan. I am
convinced it is something wrong with the motherboard. I checked all
the jumper settings and they are the defaults. The 430W power supply
is brand new and was in a working machine previously. I even removed
the MB from the case and hooked the wires up to see if there was
something grounded but it still just beeped forever. I guess I will
try to send this motherboard back. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Mike