quad sli = how many video ports? matrox dual head2go x 2?

Old February 18th 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

Default quad sli = how many video ports? matrox dual head2go x 2?

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message

* DRS:

32-bit Windows can address more than 4GB using PAE. See Windows
2003 Server Enterprise Edition as an example.

Well, that's probably why I wrote "32bit desktop Windows versions" in
my explanations ;-)

Yes, but in the post to which I replied you said that "remapping is only
supported by 64bit PCs and not 32bit systems", which is incorrect. Physical
Address Expansion (PAE) is precisely to enable remapping above the 4GB limit
on 32-bit systems, hence my reference to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
Edition as an example. That this functionality has been disabled in XP is
down to a design decision by Microsoft, not an invalidation of the
principle.

Old February 18th 08, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* DRS:
Yes, but in the post to which I replied you said that "remapping is only
supported by 64bit PCs and not 32bit systems", which is incorrect.

No, it's correct. The remapping of I/O adress space (memory
remapping/memory hoisting) is only available on 64bit PCs.

Physical
Address Expansion (PAE) is precisely to enable remapping above the 4GB limit
on 32-bit systems, hence my reference to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
Edition as an example.

PAE is *not* remapping. PAE is a paging system that basically divides
memory in smaller blocks. On 32bit machines that do support PAE and that
can have up to 64GB memory and that are running Windows Server 2003
Enterprise 32bit (or any other PAE-aware 32bit OS like Linux) the I/O
space below 4GB exists and is still there (and lost as available
memory). There is no memory remapping/memory hoisting on these machines.

Benjamin
Old February 18th 08, 05:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

And a 1.5GB gfx card definitely reduces the available memory by 1.5GB. I
can say "definitely" because I tried it myself. With a Quadro FX 5600 a
32bit Windowsxp system has less than 2.5GB (in my tests ~2.1GB)
available of the installed 4GB RAM.

Memory Remapping makes that 'missing' memory available for applications,
that's my point and you know it. A 4G video card does not leave a 4G PC
with zero available memory, that's another point and you know that too.

Don't be confused with what Windows reports as available, and what is
actually available, that's where remapping comes in. But if you wish to
think that memory is lost forever to applications because of the video
card in the system by all means, think that!

Old February 18th 08, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Mr.E Solved!:

And a 1.5GB gfx card definitely reduces the available memory by 1.5GB.
I can say "definitely" because I tried it myself. With a Quadro FX
5600 a 32bit Windowsxp system has less than 2.5GB (in my tests ~2.1GB)
available of the installed 4GB RAM.

Memory Remapping makes that 'missing' memory available for applications

Right, on 64bit PCs running either a 64bit OS or a 32bit OS with PAE
support (*not* Windowsxp, Vista or any other 32bit desktop version of
Windows).

that's my point and you know it.

And my point was that this is only correct for 64bit PCs running either
a 64bit OS or a 32bit OS with PAE support (*not* Windowsxp, Vista or any
other 32bit desktop version of Windows). It is *not* correct for a 32bit
PC or a 64bit PC running a 32bit desktop Version of Windows.

A 4G video card does not leave a 4G PC
with zero available memory, that's another point and you know that too.

I know that like all your other statements it is only correct for 64bit
PCs running either a 64bit OS or a 32bit OS with PAE support (*not*
Windowsxp, Vista or any other 32bit desktop version of Windows). In case
of a 32bit PC or a 64bit PC running a 32bit desktop version of Windows
you're just plain wrong and you should know that.

Don't be confused with what Windows reports as available, and what is
actually available, that's where remapping comes in. But if you wish to
think that memory is lost forever to applications because of the video
card in the system by all means, think that!

Well, I know what I know, and all references agree with me. I also
explained you now for several times where memory remapping works and
where not, and I also provided references that confirm what I say. Heck,
a short search with google whould have shown you that in this case your
knowledge differs from reality. If that's too much asked you can take a
PC running a 32bit desktop Windows and check how much memory is consumed
with say a 256MB gfx card and a 512MB gfx card and you would see the
difference. Still, you don't even consider the fact that not only I but
also other sources don't agree with you could very likely mean that
you're wrong. If one person doesn't agree with me he can be wrong, if
two persons don't agree with me they both can be wrong. But if several
persons don't agree with me and also provide references that support
them then at least I think about that *I* might be wrong. Of course I
don't expect others to do the same and question their own opinion when
there seems a chance that it might be wrong.

So if you don't believe me or anyone else who tells you the same, please
explain your theory how memory remapping on a PC with 4GB of RAM running
a 32bit desktop Windows version which can't adress more than 4GB should
prevent the I/O space from eating up useable memory. If you're at it
please explain your theory how video memory should be adressed if it
doesn't get mapped into I/O space.

Benjamin
Old February 18th 08, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Mr.E Solved!:

And a 1.5GB gfx card definitely reduces the available memory by
1.5GB. I can say "definitely" because I tried it myself. With a
Quadro FX 5600 a 32bit Windowsxp system has less than 2.5GB (in my
tests ~2.1GB) available of the installed 4GB RAM.

Memory Remapping makes that 'missing' memory available for
applications

Right, on 64bit PCs running a 64bit OS. Not on a 64bit PC running a
32bit OS.

that's my point and you know it.

And my point was that this is only correct for 64bit PCs running
a 64bit OS. It is *not* correct for a 32bit PC or a 64bit PC running a
32bit Version of Windows.

A 4G video card does not leave a 4G PC with zero available memory,
that's another point and you know that too.

I know that like all your other statements it is only correct for 64bit
PCs running a 64bit OS. In case of a 32bit PC or a 64bit PC running a
32bit version of Windows you're just plain wrong and you should know that.

Don't be confused with what Windows reports as available, and what is
actually available, that's where remapping comes in. But if you wish
to think that memory is lost forever to applications because of the
video card in the system by all means, think that!

Well, I know what I know, and all references agree with me. I also
explained you now for several times where memory remapping works and
where not, and I also provided references that confirm what I say. Heck,
a short search with google whould have shown you that in this case your
knowledge differs from reality. If that's too much asked you can take a
PC running a 32bit desktop Windows and check how much memory is consumed
with say a 256MB gfx card and a 512MB gfx card and you would see the
difference. Still, you don't even consider the fact that not only I but
also other sources don't agree with you could very likely mean that it's
you who is wrong. If one person doesn't agree with me he can be wrong,
if two persons don't agree with me they both can be wrong. But if
several persons don't agree with me and also provide references that
support them then at least I think about that *I* might be wrong. Of
course I don't expect others to do the same and question their own
opinion when there seems a chance that it might be wrong.

So if you still don't believe me or anyone else who tells you the same,
please explain your theory how memory remapping on a PC with 4GB of RAM
running a 32bit desktop Windows version (Windowsxp, Vista 32bit, W2k
etc) which can't adress more than 4GB (and there is no way to change
that!) should prevent the I/O space from eating up useable memory and
makes all 4GB available. If you're at it please also explain your theory

Old February 18th 08, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Mr.E Solved!:

And a 1.5GB gfx card definitely reduces the available memory by
1.5GB. I can say "definitely" because I tried it myself. With a
Quadro FX 5600 a 32bit Windowsxp system has less than 2.5GB (in my
tests ~2.1GB) available of the installed 4GB RAM.

Memory Remapping makes that 'missing' memory available for
applications

Right, on 64bit PCs running a 64bit OS. Not on a 32bit PC or 64bit PC
running a 32bit OS.