Need Recommendations for Video Adapter for 3D GRaphics - Google MAps

Old November 12th 05, 09:38 PM
Mike

Default Need Recommendations for Video Adapter for 3D GRaphics - Google MAps

Hi, at work we have mainly Dell GX-270 and Dell GX-280 PCs w. 512MB RAM and
using on motherboard graphics adapter (shared memory) . At times, the PCs
need to display 3D graphics such as Google Earth. Displaying 3D graphics
using the onboard video display is much less than satisfactory - video
display stalls and is choppy.. My personal 4 y/o Dell 8200 w/ 512MB DRAM and
nvida gforce 2 32MB PCI video adapter displays Google Maps better than the
GX-270 or GX-280 PCs using on board video Looking for recommendations for
good add in video adapters that won't break the bank. (Google maps not
compatible with ATI Rage Mobility, ATI Xpert, ATI 3D Rage.) Don't need high
end gaming video adapters.

Mike

Old November 12th 05, 09:57 PM
Jerry

The 22 Nov issue of "PC Magazine" has an article on Google Earth and they
say you need 3D graphics with 16Mb of VRAM for best viewing. I'd use those
spec's as a place to start looking.

Old November 12th 05, 10:19 PM
ANONYMOUS

Before you buy any cards. you need to be absolutely clear that it will
be compatible with your system. To do this I suggest scan your system
using Crucial's scanner from he

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmfg...cat=Video+Card

You will also get recommendations there. You don't have to buy from
them. Just the make & model and search for the best deals online.

hth

Old November 12th 05, 10:45 PM
Mike

"ANONYMOUS" wrote in message

Before you buy any cards. you need to be absolutely clear that it will
be compatible with your system. To do this I suggest scan your system
using Crucial's scanner from he

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmfg...cat=Video+Card

You will also get recommendations there. You don't have to buy from
them. Just the make & model and search for the best deals online.

hth

end gaming video adapters.

Just used http://www.crucial.com/store/listmfg...cat=Video+Card. Cool.
Then it directed to a list of compatible crucial Radeon video adapters. Are
they
OEM ATI Radeon video adapters?

Mike

Old November 12th 05, 10:49 PM
Mike

Good point. My four y/o Dell 8200 w/ 512MB RDRAM & 32MB OEM nvida pci video
adapter w/ latest driver
does a much better job running Google Maps than the much newer pcs at work.

Mike

Old November 12th 05, 11:00 PM
Plato

www.newegg.com