DVD-RAM discs

Old April 2nd 05, 12:41 PM
Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

Default DVD-RAM discs

Hi
Are all dvd-ram discs in caddies, or can they be removed and
used/handled in a DVD writer without damaging them

I like the idea of dvd-ram for saving data, but don't have a ram
player drive.

Martin
©¿©¬
Old April 2nd 05, 02:35 PM
Dave

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:41:41 +0100, Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
wrote:

Are all dvd-ram discs in caddies,

No

or can they be removed and
used/handled in a DVD writer without damaging them

Yes, although it may be a bit fiddly, or not too obvious how to do it
(although caddy designs differ)

Caddy-less discs are cheaper - SVP has them at £15 for 10
http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acata...LICK_HERE.html
whereas their double-sided discs in caddies are £5 each

HTH

--
Dave
Sheffield, England, UK

http://www.gnudawn.co.uk/

Old April 2nd 05, 06:55 PM
MCheu

wrote:

Hi
Are all dvd-ram discs in caddies, or can they be removed and
used/handled in a DVD writer without damaging them

No, you can buy "naked" DVD-RAM discs for use in tray drives like LG
makes. You can even remove the discs from the caddies if you wish
without damaging the disc if you want to read or write those on a tray
drive. Usually this is done by popping out some retaining pins in the
plastic caddy. You can usually still slide the disc back in to read
in a caddy based drive if you want to or use it as an adapter for
caddy based drives though. You won't be able to entirely reverse the
procedure though, as the pins usually have to be broken off to do
this.

Old April 3rd 05, 01:06 PM
Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

I've just read the specs again on my nec 3500a and discovered that it
doesn't support dvd-ram discs. dam

Martin
©¿©¬
Old April 3rd 05, 03:40 PM
Larc

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:06:28 +0100, Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
wrote:

| I've just read the specs again on my nec 3500a and discovered that it
| doesn't support dvd-ram discs. dam

I very recently bought a NEC 3520A and found it doesn't even support
book setting!

Larc

Old April 3rd 05, 10:47 PM
MCheu

wrote:

| I've just read the specs again on my nec 3500a and discovered that it
| doesn't support dvd-ram discs. dam

I very recently bought a NEC 3520A and found it doesn't even support
book setting!

Larc

It does if you install one of the modded firmwares. I recommend the
latest from Liggy/Dee. Some of the modifications made:

1. Mods to the strategy tables to tweak burn speeds for some media
types (This is the current focus of the mods right now).

2. The book type has been changed to DVD-ROM. You can change this
back to DVD+R before flashing with another utility if you wish.

3. Riplock removed

4. Region Free

You'll still have to wait for a later *official* NEC firmware release
if you want the PI/PO error reporting features though.

FYI, get the one that is specific for your burner, as there are
several variants, and the 3500A and 3520A firmwares are *NOT*
compatible.

Oh yeah, the URL for the L&D 3520 modded firmwa

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=129381

The usual caveats. They're not official firmwares. Using them may
void warranty. Use at own risk. If rash develops, discontinue and
consult physician.

MCheu
Old April 4th 05, 01:15 AM
Larc

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:47:50 -0400, MCheu wrote:

| On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:40:04 GMT, Larc
| wrote:
|
| On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:06:28 +0100, Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
| wrote:
|
| | I've just read the specs again on my nec 3500a and discovered that it
| | doesn't support dvd-ram discs. dam
|
| I very recently bought a NEC 3520A and found it doesn't even support
| book setting!
|
| Larc
|

| It does if you install one of the modded firmwares. I recommend the
| latest from Liggy/Dee. Some of the modifications made:
|
| 1. Mods to the strategy tables to tweak burn speeds for some media
| types (This is the current focus of the mods right now).
|
| 2. The book type has been changed to DVD-ROM. You can change this
| back to DVD+R before flashing with another utility if you wish.
|
| 3. Riplock removed
|
| 4. Region Free
|
| You'll still have to wait for a later *official* NEC firmware release
| if you want the PI/PO error reporting features though.
|
| FYI, get the one that is specific for your burner, as there are
| several variants, and the 3500A and 3520A firmwares are *NOT*
| compatible.
|
| Oh yeah, the URL for the L&D 3520 modded firmwa
|
| http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=129381
|
| The usual caveats. They're not official firmwares. Using them may
| void warranty. Use at own risk. If rash develops, discontinue and
| consult physician.

Thanks VERY much for the info and link. I had heard about this
"edited" firmware, but hadn't been able to find it yet. As for
voiding the warranty, I'm not too concerned about a drive that's only
$53 delivered from Newegg! :-)

Thanks again!

Larc

Win XP Setup does not find RAID 0 discs on ASUS A8N (non deluxe!) Jan Hermesmeier Asus Motherboards 4 March 29th 05 12:00 PM
How do I place cues within a track? Mike Richter Cdr 2 October 6th 04 08:25 PM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Why can't I burn + discs on my 107D +/- burner properly? Dave Reid Cdr 8 June 23rd 04 09:54 PM
Win XP Sp1 CD ROM and DVD Rom Not Recognizing Newly inserted discs Hunter Cdr 5 December 12th 03 05:33 AM