How to know wether a failure is in the processor or the mobo?

Old November 19th 04, 04:24 PM
a.m.

Default How to know wether a failure is in the processor or the mobo?

I have a recently adquired athlon64 3200+ processor and a Gigabyte
K8VT800 pro motherboard, and once finished the hardware installation and
powered on the system, it didnt boot. The cooler fans start spinning,
the power led lights on, but there is no signal on the monitor, and
there is no error beeps (i verified the speaker is connected). I have
tried with only motherboard & processor plugged, but the result is the
same. I have tried with different PSUs and im sure that this isnt the
problem. So im afraid the problem is on the motherboard or on the
processor. If there is no beeps, how to know where is the problem?. If i
turn on the motherboard without the processor i should hear error beeps?

Thanks in advance
Old November 19th 04, 07:55 PM
Christo

"a.m." wrote in message
s...
I have a recently adquired athlon64 3200+ processor and a Gigabyte K8VT800
pro motherboard, and once finished the hardware installation and powered on
the system, it didnt boot. The cooler fans start spinning, the power led
lights on, but there is no signal on the monitor, and there is no error
beeps (i verified the speaker is connected). I have tried with only
motherboard & processor plugged, but the result is the same. I have tried
with different PSUs and im sure that this isnt the problem. So im afraid
the problem is on the motherboard or on the processor. If there is no
beeps, how to know where is the problem?. If i turn on the motherboard
without the processor i should hear error beeps?

Thanks in advance

probably the board, if there are no beeps at all when power on not even a
single beep then it sound like the board isnt getting past POST

(POWER ON SELF TEST)

this indicates a board problem, not sure how to get around it, maybe try RMA
it with the manufacturer or retailer, should get a replacement, if the board
is new it is probs DOA you could also check the CMOS jumpers (probably in
the motherboard manual) its a common mistake that even the sharpest of us
can make, i might be stating the obvious but check it out

otherwise go for RMA the knackered board, you should get a replacement from
manufacturer or retailer, best to go through manufacturer however, they seem
to co operate better than retailers.

Why mechanical failure causes HDD being undetectable by bios or OS ? andy General 32 September 8th 04 09:01 PM
Why mechanical failure causes HDD being undetectable by bios or OS ? andy General 0 September 3rd 04 04:02 AM
P4P800 acting flakey bios checksum failure Stacey General 6 March 7th 04 04:35 PM
Harddrive Failure Gerry Abbott General 3 November 28th 03 01:41 AM
Laptop HDD: failure during enumeration? rcm General 0 July 25th 03 05:06 PM