Optiplex 780 PSU

Old March 6th 15, 07:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

Default Optiplex 780 PSU

Will a standard (retail) PSU fit properly in this mid tower desktop?
The current one is underpowered for things I would like to do

Thnx
Old March 6th 15, 08:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve

On 06/03/2015 19:36, Steve Urbach wrote:
Will a standard (retail) PSU fit properly in this mid tower desktop?
The current one is underpowered for things I would like to do

Thnx

I doubt it. Maybe in a 740, which AFAIK is a full size tower format.
You'd have to measure it to make sure though.
Steve
Old March 6th 15, 09:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:29:02 +0000, Steve wrote:

On 06/03/2015 19:36, Steve Urbach wrote:
Will a standard (retail) PSU fit properly in this mid tower desktop?
The current one is underpowered for things I would like to do

Thnx

I doubt it. Maybe in a 740, which AFAIK is a full size tower format.
You'd have to measure it to make sure though.
Steve

I was afraid of that..
Who puts a 250W PSU in a modern computer? Oh Dell.
I would have expected this in a cheap retail machine like emachines,
I wanted a better Vid card. Most mid grade wanted a 400W supply. I had to
settle for almost a bottom end PCIe card

Thanks
Old March 6th 15, 09:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 1:36:05 PM UTC-6, Steve Urbach wrote:
Will a standard (retail) PSU fit properly in this mid tower desktop?
The current one is underpowered for things I would like to do

Thnx

Sometimes they will fit...I used one on an XPS? (for a friend). The guy at the repair store said it wouldn't fit. I got 3 or the 4 screws to line-up...it worked fine.
Old March 6th 15, 10:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

Steve Urbach wrote:
Will a standard (retail) PSU fit properly in this mid tower desktop?
The current one is underpowered for things I would like to do

Thnx

If it's the tower that has two optical bays horizontal on top then yes a
normal supply will fit BUT you need to be sure it is one that will work
with that motherboard. Some of the Dells from that era use slightly
different wiring.

http://stilcomp.cz/inshop/files/780-...-780-tower.jpg

If it's any of the other versions a standard PS won't fit.

--
Steve W.
Old March 6th 15, 10:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 2:36:05 PM UTC-5, Steve Urbach wrote:
Will a standard (retail) PSU fit properly in this mid tower desktop?
The current one is underpowered for things I would like to do

Thnx

The Optiplex 780 uses the BTX motherboard form factor, like many other Optiplex towers with silver sides. The difference between BTX and more traditional ATX12v power supplies is that the power leads to the hard drive bays are L-O-O-O-O-N-G. I think that the mounting screw pattern is the same or similar, IIRC.

In general, Optiplexes are not well-suited for tricking out with gamer-type graphics and high powered CPUs. On the other hand, the Precision systems are, because they start out with mostly 500w or higher rated PSUs.
Old March 7th 15, 04:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 17:10:34 -0500, "Steve W." wrote:

Steve Urbach wrote:
Will a standard (retail) PSU fit properly in this mid tower desktop?
The current one is underpowered for things I would like to do

Thnx

If it's the tower that has two optical bays horizontal on top then yes a
normal supply will fit BUT you need to be sure it is one that will work
with that motherboard. Some of the Dells from that era use slightly
different wiring.

http://stilcomp.cz/inshop/files/780-...-780-tower.jpg

If it's any of the other versions a standard PS won't fit.

THANKS

This is the one I have
Old March 7th 15, 04:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 14:55:17 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
wrote:

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 2:36:05 PM UTC-5, Steve Urbach wrote:
Will a standard (retail) PSU fit properly in this mid tower desktop?
The current one is underpowered for things I would like to do

Thnx

The Optiplex 780 uses the BTX motherboard form factor, like many other Optiplex towers with silver sides. The difference between BTX and more traditional ATX12v power supplies is that the power leads to the hard drive bays are L-O-O-O-O-N-G. I think that the mounting screw pattern is the same or similar, IIRC.

In general, Optiplexes are not well-suited for tricking out with gamer-type graphics and high powered CPUs. On the other hand, the Precision systems are, because they start out with mostly 500w or higher rated PSUs.

Thanks,
I was not going for 'Gamer" level graphics (Freecell is my game level ;p ).
If you had not noticed, many web pages have becone insanly 'media rich' and i
was hoping to eliminate the 'shared memory video' to get back some of the
hogged performance.