How can I trick this printer into working

Old August 3rd 09, 02:40 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sara Brown

Default How can I trick this printer into working

Hello...I just bought a new Canon MP190 all-in-one printer but found
that it is not compatiable with Windows ME (No big surprise I
guess)....I have 2 computer I use and I hooked the printer up fine to
the one with Windows 2000 Professional on it but still would like to
install it on the one with Windows ME....The CD that came with the
printer flat out refuses to do anything on that PC and attemping to
download a driver off the Canon website for ME is no longer
supported...Is there some way to get this thing to function and bypass
the blocks that seem to recognize Windows ME?..Thanks in advance :-)
Old August 3rd 09, 04:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jrg

On 08/02/2009 06:40 PM Sara Brown scribbled:

Hello...I just bought a new Canon MP190 all-in-one printer but found
that it is not compatiable with Windows ME (No big surprise I
guess)....I have 2 computer I use and I hooked the printer up fine to
the one with Windows 2000 Professional on it but still would like to
install it on the one with Windows ME....The CD that came with the
printer flat out refuses to do anything on that PC and attemping to
download a driver off the Canon website for ME is no longer
supported...Is there some way to get this thing to function and bypass
the blocks that seem to recognize Windows ME?..Thanks in advance :-)

Probably not - ME is the worst of windoze releases - why bother? at
least bump it up to 2000 pro.

you can't make silk purse out of a sow's ear.

sorry
Old August 3rd 09, 05:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
FB

Sara Brown wrote:
Hello...I just bought a new Canon MP190 all-in-one printer but found
that it is not compatiable with Windows ME (No big surprise I
guess)....I have 2 computer I use and I hooked the printer up fine to
the one with Windows 2000 Professional on it but still would like to
install it on the one with Windows ME....The CD that came with the
printer flat out refuses to do anything on that PC and attemping to
download a driver off the Canon website for ME is no longer
supported...Is there some way to get this thing to function and bypass
the blocks that seem to recognize Windows ME?..Thanks in advance :-)

The only thing you can do is if both computers are on a network, you can
share the MP190 through W2K. That means that if you want to print while
in ME, then the W2K computer must be on.
HTH
Old August 3rd 09, 09:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jonathan L. Parker[_2_]

FB wrote:

Sara Brown wrote:
Hello...I just bought a new Canon MP190 all-in-one printer but found
that it is not (compatible) with Windows ME...
I have 2 computer(s) I use and I hooked the printer up fine to
the one with Windows 2000 Professional on it but still would like to
install it on the one with Windows ME....

The only thing you can do is if both computers are on a network, you can
share the MP190 through W2K. That means that if you want to print while
in ME, then the W2K computer must be on.

Won't help her. She'll still need a WinME driver for the printer and
she doesn't have one.

This, of course, is water under the bridge now but it might have been
advisable to verify that this thing still *had* a WinME driver *before*
buying it.
Old August 3rd 09, 11:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Quite honestly, most all in one printers barely operate within the OS
environment they were written for, let alone a much older one.

There are so many component driver modules, one for printing, one for
scanning, one possibly for fax, etc., that finding a package deal that
will even be a contestant will not be easy.

In fact, I do not believe all in one inkjet printers existed back in
those ME days. If all you need is printing, you may be able to swing
that. I would look on line for some Canon ME printer drivers for
similar technology, same number of inks, for instance, and test it. You
will not find drivers for some printers which used Unicode from MS in
them because MS has required any of that code be removed from websites
since they no longer support it, but some 3rd party or private websites
may still have copies of a driver which may work.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old August 4th 09, 12:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sara Brown

Thanks for all the helpful advice..I guess I`ll just stick to using
my second computer for printing etc..They are side by side so it`s
just a matter of switching a few cables back and forth as I use
each...But just for the record I`ve found Windows ME to be the most
stable and reliable OS..I`ve had 2000 and XP on computers before and
ended up dumping them and going back to ME..But as more and more
programs seem not to support ME I guess I`ll have no choice but to
upgrade
Old August 4th 09, 02:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jrg

On 08/03/2009 04:28 PM Sara Brown scribbled:

Thanks for all the helpful advice..I guess I`ll just stick to using
my second computer for printing etc..They are side by side so it`s
just a matter of switching a few cables back and forth as I use
each...But just for the record I`ve found Windows ME to be the most
stable and reliable OS..I`ve had 2000 and XP on computers before and
ended up dumping them and going back to ME..But as more and more
programs seem not to support ME I guess I`ll have no choice but to
upgrade

google windows ME +performance ratings

would seem you are one of a very few that revert back to it from
/anything/ - 1st one I ever saw but its a big and ignorant world out
there....
Old August 5th 09, 01:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sara Brown

On Aug 3, 9:13*pm, jrg wrote:
would seem you are one of a very few that revert back to it from
/anything/ - 1st one I ever saw

Maybe it was just my Vietnamese bootleg versions of 2000 and XP
that had problems :-)
Old August 5th 09, 02:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jrg

On 08/04/2009 05:49 PM Sara Brown scribbled:

On Aug 3, 9:13 pm, jrg wrote:
would seem you are one of a very few that revert back to it from
/anything/ - 1st one I ever saw

Maybe it was just my Vietnamese bootleg versions of 2000 and XP
that had problems :-)

that could open up a real "can of worms" above and beyond ME.

I was just talking about ME and what would make anyone to go back to it
- but then, maybe you live on an island and don't have access to the
latest things. If thats the case, don't mind me...
Old August 5th 09, 02:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

jrg wrote:
On 08/03/2009 04:28 PM Sara Brown scribbled:

Thanks for all the helpful advice..I guess I`ll just stick to using
my second computer for printing etc..They are side by side so it`s
just a matter of switching a few cables back and forth as I use
each...But just for the record I`ve found Windows ME to be the most
stable and reliable OS..I`ve had 2000 and XP on computers before and
ended up dumping them and going back to ME..But as more and more
programs seem not to support ME I guess I`ll have no choice but to
upgrade

google windows ME +performance ratings

would seem you are one of a very few that revert back to it from
/anything/ - 1st one I ever saw but its a big and ignorant world out
there....

I'm not going to defend ME, in fact I doubt Microsoft can or will
either, but your disrespectful comment shows much more about your
emotional maturity than the knowledge or abilities of the original poster.

Some hardware and bios' just never worked well above Win 98SE/ME, so it
isn't just a matter of upgrading the software, but possibly the hardware
as well. I still do most of my work on a Win98SE machine, which I built
in 2000. I have upgraded some of the hardware, but it still won't
easily run XP, however it has been very stable. I have NEVER had to
reinstall Win 98SE on this system since the original install. I've had
to "repair" XP several times during the first year, (on a newer and
faster computer).. it currently has no sound (which has been narrowed
down to likely be software related), and will need further work.

So, while ME is one OS I skipped completely, it isn't out of "ignorance"
that I continue to run two computers in the household on Win 98SE, but a
mixture of good fortune with it, hardware restrictions, and having
become very familiar with it and its quirks.

Art