Lost Power to turn on ASUS A8n SLI

Old April 16th 06, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Lost Power to turn on ASUS A8n SLI

I came down to my computer today, tried to turn it on and could not get it
to power up. The green light on the motherboard is on, but activating the on
switch does not turn on the power. Help!

Old April 16th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person haggar said
I came down to my computer today, tried to turn it on and could not get it
to power up. The green light on the motherboard is on, but activating the on
switch does not turn on the power. Help!

1) Try powering it off at the wall, and then back on again (this'll fix
some problems).

2) If you are halfway competent inside PCs try swapping the reset and
power switches (although it's most unlikely that one died). They are
both 'momentary contact' switches if we are talking a modern ATX PC
(beware AT powered systems don't work like that!). You could also just
briefly short the two pins the front panel power switch is connected to,
which is what turns the thing on.

3) Examine the motherboard for signs of leaking, bulging, or blown,
capacitors, the #1 cause of PCs dying (although they usually act flaky
first).

If none of those apply then you've probably got a dead motherboard or
cpu. You're into serious debugging, which involves removing practically
everything, and swapping in know good items for CPU, PSU, motherboard
etc. Depending on how old it is, it may be simper and cheaper to just
start over.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Google may be your friend, but groups.google.com posters definitely aren't.
Old April 22nd 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
If none of those apply then you've probably got a dead motherboard or
cpu. You're into serious debugging, which involves removing practically
everything, and swapping in know good items for CPU, PSU, motherboard
etc. Depending on how old it is, it may be simper and cheaper to just
start over.

Given it's an A8N-SLI I'm assuming it's not too old :-)

I had a bad Antec Neo PSU cause this on that board.. the +5VSB line got
so weak that it couldn't supply enough power to the board to power up.
It was fine until I powered the machine down and it actually needed the
standby power..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

x800xl and Far Cry, disasterous! AAvK Ati Videocards 44 October 14th 05 01:42 PM
P4P800-E Deluxe - saga continues - this time no video post on power-up + different BIOS full screen logos... Technik Asus Motherboards 2 August 28th 05 06:36 AM
GW Power Supply Feedback RDBrimmer Gateway Computers 0 October 20th 04 07:26 AM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM