Windows XP standby on XPS710 = loud fan on graphics card

Old January 5th 08, 02:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
David Arnstein

Default Windows XP standby on XPS710 = loud fan on graphics card

I like to use the "standby" power saving feature of Microsoft Windows
XP. This is also called "sleep." But when my PC goes into this mode,
the cooling fan on my Nvidia graphics card spins up to its highest
speed, which makes a high pitched sound. Irritating.

I found discussions of this issue on the Dell web page forums. In one
post, someone from Dell stated that Nvidia needs to provide a better
device driver for the graphics card.

So I opened up a technical support request on Nvidia's web pile. An
Nvidia rep responded with a few questions about my problem.
Eventually, he concluded that it could not be a device driver issue,
because the device driver is not involved when the PC is in standby
mode.

I don't know if the Nvidia rep is being reasonable or not. But in any
case, it seems that Dell and Nvidia are pointing the finger at each
other.

Any suggestions?
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}
Old January 5th 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"David Arnstein" wrote in message
[...]

Locate a suitable passive heatsink for the card or simply don't use standby
mode.

Over the years I've developed a healthy mistrust for Windows power
management beyond anything more simple than monitor sleep anyway.

Given that you apparently like the feature, search NVidia or gamer forums
and see if a passive cooling solution is possible or practical.

Old January 5th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"WSZsr" wrote in message
I'm more trusting than Stew!

I use standby on all my systems and couldn't live without it. I would try
another nVidia card. Have Dell replace it if you are still under warranty
or borrow one just for a test.

Well given the recent standby/resolution thread, I admire your continued
confidence. ;-)

I have an irrational fear of data corruption, BSODs, simulated system
comas - along with 'flying squirrels and nightmares of stigmata.' heh

Also, not flaming the OP, but I'll never associate the ('mack-daddy') XPS
desktop systems with the word "quiet" - given the nature of the animal
itself.

You're right though. Could be a bad card, could also be something addressed
by a BIOS flash, maybe.

Dunno....

Stew

Old January 6th 08, 02:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

S.Lewis wrote:
"WSZsr" wrote in message
I'm more trusting than Stew!

I use standby on all my systems and couldn't live without it. I would try
another nVidia card. Have Dell replace it if you are still under warranty
or borrow one just for a test.

Well given the recent standby/resolution thread, I admire your continued
confidence. ;-)

I have an irrational fear of data corruption, BSODs, simulated system
comas - along with 'flying squirrels and nightmares of stigmata.' heh

Also, not flaming the OP, but I'll never associate the ('mack-daddy') XPS
desktop systems with the word "quiet"

Hm, mine has been from the get go (not counting the initial spinup of
everything when the system is first powered up).
Old January 6th 08, 04:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

David,

I have a Dimension 9150 and the video card fan is loud until about the blue
WinXP scrolling screen. I presume this is when the video drivers are loaded.
I made a Reatogo XPE CD about a year ago and the video card fan was loud the
whole time the CD was in use. I later found you could load nVidia drivers
from Reatogo and when I did this the fan cut out just at the time it does
when WinXP is loading. So in my case, I need the nVidia drivers to cut the
fan speed. Without drivers the fan is loud.

I just remembered it's the same when you install a fresh WinXP. The fan is
loud in WinXP until the nVidia drivers are installed.

Does this apply to you in some way?

Old January 6th 08, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Tony Harding" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
"WSZsr" wrote in message
I'm more trusting than Stew!

I use standby on all my systems and couldn't live without it. I would
try another nVidia card. Have Dell replace it if you are still under
warranty or borrow one just for a test.

Well given the recent standby/resolution thread, I admire your continued
confidence. ;-)

I have an irrational fear of data corruption, BSODs, simulated system
comas - along with 'flying squirrels and nightmares of stigmata.' heh

Also, not flaming the OP, but I'll never associate the ('mack-daddy') XPS
desktop systems with the word "quiet"

Hm, mine has been from the get go (not counting the initial spinup of
everything when the system is first powered up).

Given the number of cooling fans and PS supply fans, that's pretty
remarkable then.

Old January 7th 08, 12:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

S.Lewis wrote:
"WSZsr" wrote in message
I'm more trusting than Stew!

I use standby on all my systems and couldn't live without it. I would
try another nVidia card. Have Dell replace it if you are still under
warranty or borrow one just for a test.

Well given the recent standby/resolution thread, I admire your continued
confidence. ;-)

I have an irrational fear of data corruption, BSODs, simulated system
comas - along with 'flying squirrels and nightmares of stigmata.' heh

Also, not flaming the OP, but I'll never associate the ('mack-daddy') XPS
desktop systems with the word "quiet"

Hm, mine has been from the get go (not counting the initial spinup of
everything when the system is first powered up).

Given the number of cooling fans and PS supply fans, that's pretty
remarkable then.

I guess I'm just not pushing it that hard - the case is always cool to
the touch, top & sides; but the exhaust out the back (up where the HDDs
are) is usually pretty warm. Maybe the Dell engineers did a good job
here? Maybe your hearing is better than mine? (not a joke)
Old February 3rd 08, 03:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Andrew Hodgson

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 02:58:52 +0000 (UTC), (David
Arnstein) wrote:

[...]

I had this until I used the latest Nvidia drivers from Dell, wherein
my issue resolved itself and the system powered down to standby fine
without the noise from the GPU. However, this is the last time I buy
an expensive GPU with a system, because that fan noise is dreadful in
for example Linux etc. I am not a huge gamer, so will make do with
the onboard graphics or a cheap GPU.

Andrew.