USB Portable 3.0/2.0 reliability

Old May 27th 11, 12:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
David Arnstein

Default USB Portable 3.0/2.0 reliability

In article ci.org,
Anonymous wrote:
I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign
net cafes.

If this was my problem, I would certainly use a small drive that derives
its power from its USB cable. I would not even consider dealing with an
external power supply and power cables.

I have had good results with Toshiba drives.

I have had BAD results with a drive that used the USB 2.0 "micro" cable
port. I could tap this drive VERY gently with my finger, and cause a
computer to disconnect. Reliably. With Windows systems. With a Macintosh
iMac system.

From reading user reviews on Amazon.com, I have come to believe that
this is a common problem, even with Toshiba drives. I have read plenty
of complaints involving USB 3.0 cable port as well. I don't know much
about the different cable types for USB 3.0 (mini? micro?) but I would
certainly educate myself if I had a need for USB 3.0.

I use Toshiba drives with USB 2.0 "mini" cable ports all the time. No
issues.

I am looking forward to feedback to this post. I am interested in other
folks experience with USB port types.
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}
Old May 27th 11, 12:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

David Arnstein wrote
Anonymous wrote

I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign
net cafes.

If this was my problem, I would certainly use a small drive that
derives its power from its USB cable. I would not even consider
dealing with an external power supply and power cables.

I have had good results with Toshiba drives.

I have had BAD results with a drive that used the USB 2.0 "micro"
cable port. I could tap this drive VERY gently with my finger, and
cause a computer to disconnect. Reliably. With Windows systems. With
a Macintosh iMac system.

From reading user reviews on Amazon.com, I have come to believe that
this is a common problem, even with Toshiba drives. I have read plenty
of complaints involving USB 3.0 cable port as well. I don't know much
about the different cable types for USB 3.0 (mini? micro?) but I would
certainly educate myself if I had a need for USB 3.0.

I use Toshiba drives with USB 2.0 "mini" cable ports all the time. No issues.

I am looking forward to feedback to this post. I am interested in
other folks experience with USB port types.

I only use standard USB connectors and never have any problems.

I use bare Samsung drives in a hard drive docking station most of the time, but not always.

Old June 15th 11, 08:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lasse Kliemann

David Arnstein wrote:

I have had BAD results with a drive that used the USB 2.0 "micro" cable
port. I could tap this drive VERY gently with my finger, and cause a
computer to disconnect. Reliably. With Windows systems. With a Macintosh
iMac system.

From reading user reviews on Amazon.com, I have come to believe that
this is a common problem, even with Toshiba drives. I have read plenty
of complaints involving USB 3.0 cable port as well. I don't know much
about the different cable types for USB 3.0 (mini? micro?) but I would
certainly educate myself if I had a need for USB 3.0.

I use Toshiba drives with USB 2.0 "mini" cable ports all the time. No
issues.

I am looking forward to feedback to this post. I am interested in other
folks experience with USB port types.

Good experiences here with Western Digital HP SimpleSave 1TB
2.5" USB 3.0. Cables sit firmly. Drive runs host-powered and even
does not come with a Y-cable.

Gives about 50 MiB/sec write speed on large files under Linux
with USB 3.0 and LUKS encryption.

I had severe instabilities on newer Dell notebooks with several
different external drives using USB 2.0, including this HP
product. But I think that's not related to the disk but probably
more to the USB system and its drivers. Hopefully this will
become better with newer kernel versions.
Old June 16th 11, 11:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
David Arnstein

In article ,
Lasse Kliemann wrote:
Good experiences here with Western Digital HP SimpleSave 1TB
2.5" USB 3.0. Cables sit firmly. Drive runs host-powered and even
does not come with a Y-cable.

It does look like a nice drive. I think it uses a mini USB connector
rather than a micro USB connector. What do you think? After a quick
google, I was only able to find a line drawing. No detailed photo.
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}
Old June 17th 11, 07:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lasse Kliemann

David Arnstein wrote:
In article ,
Lasse Kliemann wrote:
Good experiences here with Western Digital HP SimpleSave 1TB
2.5" USB 3.0. Cables sit firmly. Drive runs host-powered and even
does not come with a Y-cable.

It does look like a nice drive. I think it uses a mini USB connector
rather than a micro USB connector. What do you think? After a quick
google, I was only able to find a line drawing. No detailed photo.

The plug is slightly less than 2mm thick, so it's micro.

I'm not sure there are any mini connectors for USB 3.0 out there
at all.