Done with Dell

Old November 18th 10, 08:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
David Arnstein

Default Done with Dell

I have been buying computers from Dell for about 10 years. It ends today.

I ordered a Studio XPS 8100 last week. A Dell rep. told me that the only
way to mount extra disk drives in the machine is to buy the drives from
Dell, which ship with required mounting hardware.

So I duly ordered one disk drive, at an inflated price.

The disk drive arrived today, without any mounting hardware. Useless.

I don't have time to screw around with Dell regarding such petty issues.
The computer arrives next week, and I already have an RMA number for
it.

The Dell reps. were great, after I lost my temper.
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}
Old November 18th 10, 08:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"David Arnstein" wrote:
I have been buying computers from Dell for about 10 years. It ends today.

I ordered a Studio XPS 8100 last week. A Dell rep. told me that the only
way to mount extra disk drives in the machine is to buy the drives from
Dell, which ship with required mounting hardware.

So I duly ordered one disk drive, at an inflated price.

The disk drive arrived today, without any mounting hardware. Useless.

I don't have time to screw around with Dell regarding such petty issues.
The computer arrives next week, and I already have an RMA number for
it.

The Dell reps. were great, after I lost my temper.

What the inadequately trained sales rep should have said is that
the warranty wouldn't apply to the HDs that you install yourself.
In addition, no HDs I've ever purchased came with mounting hardware
other than screws. The brackets that you need will probably arrive
with the computer - the order for which will show the extra HD and
the need for the extra brackets.

*TimDaniels*

Old November 18th 10, 09:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 11/18/2010 3:07 PM, David Arnstein wrote:
I have been buying computers from Dell for about 10 years. It ends today.

I ordered a Studio XPS 8100 last week. A Dell rep. told me that the only
way to mount extra disk drives in the machine is to buy the drives from
Dell, which ship with required mounting hardware.

So I duly ordered one disk drive, at an inflated price.

The disk drive arrived today, without any mounting hardware. Useless.

I don't have time to screw around with Dell regarding such petty issues.
The computer arrives next week, and I already have an RMA number for
it.

The Dell reps. were great, after I lost my temper.

despite what dell may have told you, i suggest that you immediately call
your credit card company to dispute the charges and be sure to refuse
delivery of the computer (leave a note for fedex/ups re the same) so
that you never take possession of it. if dell gives you any problem
then submit a complaint to the bbb.org as it appears to be the only way
these days to get a person at dell who is actually capable of
understanding anything that falls outside of their usual order
processing procedure and who actually has the power to do something
about it. not sure why dell takes bbb complaints so seriously but am
glad that they do. good luck.
Old November 18th 10, 09:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

BTW, my ancient Dell computer didn't need an extra
bracket for a 2nd internal HD - all that was needed
were the screws that came with the HD itself since
the bracket was already built-in.

*TimDaniels*

Old November 19th 10, 12:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 11/18/2010 4:22 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
[...]

Good advice from Christopher... Ben Myers
Old November 19th 10, 03:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

(David Arnstein) writes:

I have been buying computers from Dell for about 10 years. It ends today.

I ordered a Studio XPS 8100 last week. A Dell rep. told me that the only
way to mount extra disk drives in the machine is to buy the drives from
Dell, which ship with required mounting hardware.

So I duly ordered one disk drive, at an inflated price.

The disk drive arrived today, without any mounting hardware. Useless.

I don't have time to screw around with Dell regarding such petty issues.
The computer arrives next week, and I already have an RMA number for
it.

The Dell reps. were great, after I lost my temper.

I was told the same for a Precision machine I ordered, but in fact it
came with all the necessary brackets (well, there is a way to put a 5th
HD in one of the optical bays, and it did not come with one of those.

A month earlier I got a fast track Optiplex, with room for one extra
HD. It had no extra bracket, but when I contacted Tech Support they
sent me one (actually two, they seemed to mess up the order) for free,
overnight. They even threw in a Sata cable for each extra bracket.

You can also buy brackets for $5-20 on the web. That is what I had
decided to do with the precision, but it turned out not to be necessary.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Old November 22nd 10, 04:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Lucky[_2_]

That's why my new desk top is going to be an Apple.
My brother and sister-in-law just bought two new Apples(one desktop and one
laptop) after 15 years of all Dell.
Enough is Enough!

Lucky

"Justin" wrote in message
In article ,
(David Arnstein) wrote:

I have been *buying computers from Dell for about 10 years*.

I'm sorry to hear that.

It ends today.

I'm happy to hear that.

I ordered a Studio XPS 8100 last week. A Dell rep. told me that the only
way to mount extra disk drives in the machine is to buy the drives from
Dell, which ship with required mounting hardware.

So I duly ordered one disk drive, at an *inflated price.*

That is standard Operating Procedure.

The disk drive arrived today, without any mounting hardware. Useless.

I don't have time to screw around with Dell regarding such petty issues.
The computer arrives next week, and I already have an RMA number for
it.

Get a Mac.

The Dell reps. were great, after I lost my temper.

Don't expect anything different from HP or any of the other PeeCee
manufacturers. HP wanted $200 just to talk - for a machine 30 days out
of warranty. The machine completely shorted out, toasting the hard
drive any everything.

Apple has the best support in the business. Nobody will ever beat them.