What kind of 2.5" HD adapter do I need?

Old January 17th 10, 02:12 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
[email protected]

Default What kind of 2.5" HD adapter do I need?

Hello,

I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
adapter.
Here are pictures of my HD:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test1.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test3.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test4.jpg

Any idea what kind adapter do I need?

Thanks,

Zalek
Old January 17th 10, 03:43 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
Hello,

I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
adapter.
Here are pictures of my HD:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test1.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test3.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test4.jpg

Any idea what kind adapter do I need?

Thanks,

Zalek

Looks like SATA. Comparing this picture of the MHV2100BH from the
Newegg site, I'd say there is some kind of adapter in place on the
drive you've got there (in your HP-test4.jpg). Maybe it unplugs to
reveal the normal SATA interface ?

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/22-116-018-S02?$S640W$

Paul
Old January 17th 10, 04:07 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Barry Watzman

The DRIVE is a standard SATA drive. However I think you have some kind
of interface adapter present on the drive to mate it to the laptop.
Remove the interface adapter.

Old January 17th 10, 11:34 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Roger Mills

Hello,

I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
adapter.
Here are pictures of my HD:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test1.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test3.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test4.jpg

Any idea what kind adapter do I need?

Thanks,

Zalek

Can you not network your laptop and desktop with an ethernet cable?[1] You
can then use Ghost (or equivalent) to make an image of the laptop's old HD
on the desktop - then replace the HD and and clone the image onto the new
one. That's whet I did when I upgraded my laptop's HD.

[You'll need to create a bootable system on a floppy (or other bootable
media recognised by the laptop's BIOS) containing PC-DOS, Ghost.exe and
support for a network connection].

[1] If it's a direct connection, you'll need a crossover cable but it goes
via a hub or wired router, you won't.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 17th 10, 04:14 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
BillW50

In ,
Roger Mills typed on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:34:30 -0000:
[You'll need to create a bootable system on a floppy (or other
bootable media recognised by the laptop's BIOS) containing PC-DOS,
Ghost.exe and support for a network connection].

What version of Ghost are you running that runs under DOS? As all later
versions runs under Windows or Windows PE (aka BartPE or WinPE) and are
known as Ghost32. Does Ghost for DOS understand NTFS formats?

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

Old January 17th 10, 04:53 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Roger Mills

BillW50 wrote:

In ,
Roger Mills typed on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:34:30 -0000:
[You'll need to create a bootable system on a floppy (or other
bootable media recognised by the laptop's BIOS) containing PC-DOS,
Ghost.exe and support for a network connection].

What version of Ghost are you running that runs under DOS? As all
later versions runs under Windows or Windows PE (aka BartPE or WinPE)
and are known as Ghost32. Does Ghost for DOS understand NTFS formats?

I'm running Norton Ghost 2003 - and, yes, it understands NTFS. You can run
some functions under Windows, but have to resort to a version running from a
bootable DOS device to make an image of a system disk [1]. If you back up to
another machine over a network, the other machine can be running Windows.

[I'm not quite sure how you would clone a *live* Windows system, 'cos you'd
be aiming at a moving target!]

[1] You create the bootable system from within the Windows version,
specifiying what support you need for USB, Firewire or network devices so
that it includes the required drivers.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 17th 10, 05:15 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
BillW50

In ,
Roger Mills typed on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:53:01 -0000:
BillW50 wrote:

[...]

Oh so you have both Ghost.exe and Ghost32.exe with Ghost 2003, right?

The trick to clone a live Windows is sometimes done through Windows VSS
(services). Sometimes third party backup programs use their own version
of the service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

I have used many different backup programs like Acronis True Image and
Paragon. And when they work, they work well. But they don't work in all
conditions especially when restoring. Ghost is the only one that has
worked under all conditions so far. The only time Ghost messed up for me
was for Linux. But that could have been my fault for not cloning all
partitions.

I don't recall which version of Ghost started to need .NET2, but it was
somewhere around 2003 I believe. But Ghost.exe and Ghost32.exe don't
obviously. ;-)

Old January 17th 10, 06:18 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Roger Mills typed on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:34:30 -0000:
[You'll need to create a bootable system on a floppy (or other
bootable media recognised by the laptop's BIOS) containing PC-DOS,
Ghost.exe and support for a network connection].

What version of Ghost are you running that runs under DOS? As all later
versions runs under Windows or Windows PE (aka BartPE or WinPE) and are
known as Ghost32. Does Ghost for DOS understand NTFS formats?

Ghost2003 runs on freedos form a bootable CD, and
does a fine job of making an image copy of an ntfs OS drive.
Old January 17th 10, 08:24 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Roger Mills

BillW50 wrote:

Oh so you have both Ghost.exe and Ghost32.exe with Ghost 2003, right?

Dunno! Can't find Ghost32.exe per se in the Ghost folder in Program Files -
although there are lots of .exe files whose names start with Ghost - like
GhostStart.exe - and there's a file called gdisk32.exe

--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 17th 10, 08:45 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
BillW50

In ,
Roger Mills typed on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:24:45 -0000:
BillW50 wrote:

Oh so you have both Ghost.exe and Ghost32.exe with Ghost 2003, right?

Dunno! Can't find Ghost32.exe per se in the Ghost folder in Program
Files - although there are lots of .exe files whose names start with
Ghost - like GhostStart.exe - and there's a file called gdisk32.exe

Maybe it is only there for the versions that uses WinPE boot disc
instead of DOS boot disc.