Logical SAN

Old January 5th 09, 04:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Default Logical SAN

I have a Solaris 10 system (x86) connected to an external usb drive,
I'd like to play around with SAN stuff(learn SAN), is there a way to
carve up a virtual SAN on this external drive?

I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive(hence usb external drive) way
to create a "logical SAN", I guess some way to simulate, dual pathed
drives in a "cheap" drive.....
Of course, one cannot assume that all SAN's are limited to ethernet
and/or to fiber....that would be a mockery of technology.....there
might be a way to create logical drives in a drive-space, such logical
drives have gotta be dual pathed.....I am able to create a makefile,
create a virtual device entry for it and losf mount it etc.....so I'd
like to have a logical drive that it multipathed.....some vmware tool
may well do this, but, it may not be free....
Interesting article on something similar:
http://blogs.sun.com/jph/entry/containers_on_nfs
Old January 5th 09, 07:03 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih[_2_]

I have a Solaris 10 system (x86) connected to an external usb drive,
I'd like to play around with SAN stuff(learn SAN), is there a way to
carve up a virtual SAN on this external drive?

I think that the way of playing with SAN is to find an open-source iSCSI server software, install it, set it up to use your external drive, split it to LUNs and such, and set up the iSCSI client in the host OS to talk to this server.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

http://www.storagecraft.com