MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

Old July 15th 19, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MaxTheFast

Default MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

Do not misunderstand My idea is to use my 3.5" HDD within my fantec enclosure AND the converter outside it, not just a HDD+converter as yours. The converter will connect my enclosure and the mobo because my goal is to use the mobo's sata ports and not its usb ports, in other word my converter usage will be "opposite/reverse" as the standard one it was built to. And remember my enclosure has its independent power supply so I'm going to use the converter only for data so my 3.5" hdd within my enclosure will be powered apart from converter. Keep in mind it's just an experiment so it's not important how I've to "work"
So my question is about the hardware behavior of this system [HDD] - [enclosure] - [hacked usb-sata converter cable] - [mobo sata]: will it work?
This time I ask you before buying anything
Old July 16th 19, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

MaxTheFast wrote:
Do not misunderstand My idea is to use my 3.5" HDD
within my fantec enclosure AND the converter outside it,
not just a HDD+converter as yours. The converter will
connect my enclosure and the mobo because my goal is to
use the mobo's sata ports and not its usb ports, in other
word my converter usage will be "opposite/reverse" as
the standard one it was built to. And remember my enclosure
has its independent power supply so I'm going to use the
converter only for data so my 3.5" hdd within my enclosure
will be powered apart from converter. Keep in mind it's just
an experiment so it's not important how I've to "work"
So my question is about the hardware behavior of this
system [HDD] - [enclosure] - [hacked usb-sata converter
cable] - [mobo sata]: will it work?
This time I ask you before buying anything

Mobo:

Sata ------- SATA to USB -------- USB enclosure -- chip ---- SATA drive
/\ | | |
/||\ 3.3 5.0 12V
|| \-----------------/
|| wall adapter etc
To start with, the SATA to USB doesn't go backwards.
So that would be a problem.

The closest bidirectional chip I know of, does "SATA to IDE"
but by changing a config pin, does "IDE to SATA". Some
versions of those, there is a jumper and you can
select either mode. There are sufficient connectors
to support the two modes.

*******

One way to do it, would be like this, but there isn't
any particular advantage. No adapters needed, just a
regular SATA cable, plus the lid on the enclosure must
be loose so the SATA can be routed out of the enclosure.
If there is a short data cable inside the enclosure, you
disconnect it from the drive, then connect the long
SATA cable to the mobo (through the removal of a PCI slot cover).

Mobo: +-------------------------------------------------+
| |
Sata ---+ USB enclosure -- chip +- SATA drive
| | |
3.3 5.0 12V
\-----------------/
wall adapter etc

The wall adapter and enclosure power switch, enable the SATA drive.
You could use a 24" to 36" data cable.

Paul
Old July 18th 19, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MaxTheFast

If there is a short data cable inside the enclosure,
That'd be nice but it isn't because sata connector group (data+power) is solded to the inner enclosure PCB.

the SATA to USB doesn't go backwards. So that would be a problem.

*Would that be* or *is that* a problem? Are you sure the data flux is monodirectional? Is this the matter of master/slave peripherals? In the "regular" case thought by the cable's manufacturer the mobo connected to the usb cable plug is the master and the HDD connected to the sata cable plug is the slave while in my case the roles as inverted.
Old July 18th 19, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

MaxTheFast wrote:
If there is a short data cable inside the enclosure,

That'd be nice but it isn't because sata connector group (data+power) is solded to the inner enclosure PCB.

the SATA to USB doesn't go backwards. So that would be a problem.

*Would that be* or *is that* a problem? Are you sure the data flux is monodirectional? Is this the matter of master/slave peripherals? In the "regular" case thought by the cable's manufacturer the mobo connected to the usb cable plug is the master and the HDD connected to the sata cable plug is the slave while in my case the roles as inverted.

USB to SATA work in one direction only.

As defined by the USB Mass Storage protocols,
from USB to storage devices.

There is no "storage devices to USB" option.

*******

The SATA to IDE and IDE to SATA bidirectional works
that way, because *both* interfaces are "storage"
from the same spec (ATA).

Paul
Old July 20th 19, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MaxTheFast

Hi Paul, sorry for delay. I see your explanation about USB-SATA only. What about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TM3DDZS
I couldn't understand if it works SATA-USB only like the one of my previous post. Title says "USB 2.0 to IDE SATA" but I wait for your reply.
Anyway do you know if there're such converters USB-SATA?
Old July 20th 19, 04:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

MaxTheFast wrote:
Hi Paul, sorry for delay. I see your explanation about USB-SATA only. What about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TM3DDZS
I couldn't understand if it works SATA-USB only like the one of my previous post. Title says "USB 2.0 to IDE SATA" but I wait for your reply.
Anyway do you know if there're such converters USB-SATA?

Anything with "USB" as one end of the connection,
goes in one direction only. These use the USB Mass Storage
class driver.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TM3DDZS

USB2 --+--+--- IDE 40 pin 0.1" centers (3.5" IDE drive)
| |
| +--- IDE 44 pin 2mm centers (2.5" IDE drive)

+------ 7 pin SATA data (either 2.5" or 3.5" SATA drive)

None of those go backwards or sideways.

One direction only.

Paul
Old July 22nd 19, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

On 21/07/2019 2:23 AM, MaxTheFast wrote:
Hi Paul, sorry for delay. I see your explanation about USB-SATA only. What about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TM3DDZS
I couldn't understand if it works SATA-USB only like the one of my previous post. Title says "USB 2.0 to IDE SATA" but I wait for your reply.
Anyway do you know if there're such converters USB-SATA?

I'll say it again: I would try a PCIe to eSATA expansion card and eSATA / eSATA cable. It seems to
me like you're trying to do everything but the right thing.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 22nd 19, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

~misfit~ wrote:
On 21/07/2019 2:23 AM, MaxTheFast wrote:
Hi Paul, sorry for delay. I see your explanation about USB-SATA only.
What about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TM3DDZS
I couldn't understand if it works SATA-USB only like the one of my
reply.
Anyway do you know if there're such converters USB-SATA?

I'll say it again: I would try a PCIe to eSATA expansion card and eSATA
/ eSATA cable. It seems to me like you're trying to do everything but
the right thing.

It's just as likely to work, if the rate is knocked
down to SATA II. Which can be done with the force jumper.
Or, use an older drive for test, a drive that runs
slower on the interface, and see if that makes a difference.

The motherboard drive idea can be a problem, if it
tries to run at SATA III, which is too fast for ESATA-length
cabling.

Paul