Matrox G550 vs Radeon 8500

Old June 4th 05, 01:59 PM
Tony Pacc

Default Matrox G550 vs Radeon 8500

Hi, I am currently using a ATI Radeon 8500 on an older Dell P3 1000mgh
Pentium,I'm not into games ,so I am wondering if I would get better 2 D
performance with the G550,I using a Samsung 930B flat panel with digital
output,I am basically looking at better text performance.Thanks

Old June 5th 05, 11:59 PM
jayson

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 07:59:38 -0500, "Tony Pacc"
wrote:

Hi, I am currently using a ATI Radeon 8500 on an older Dell P3 1000mgh
Pentium,I'm not into games ,so I am wondering if I would get better 2 D
performance with the G550,I using a Samsung 930B flat panel with digital
output,I am basically looking at better text performance.Thanks

I would try the ATI since you already have it, and it has dvi support.
I like Matrox for 2D, so I've only owned Matrox cards. You could
probably get the 8500 on ebay for less than $40.

Old June 6th 05, 05:42 PM
iamnotme

wrote:

Hi, I am currently using a ATI Radeon 8500 on an older Dell P3 1000mgh
Pentium,I'm not into games ,so I am wondering if I would get better 2 D
performance with the G550,I using a Samsung 930B flat panel with digital
output,I am basically looking at better text performance.Thanks

I would try the ATI since you already have it, and it has dvi support.
I like Matrox for 2D, so I've only owned Matrox cards. You could
probably get the 8500 on ebay for less than $40.

In a word ... yes.
Matrox is the notorious "leader" in 2d rendering/display ... while ATI
concerns itself primarily, with 3d performance.

--
Convert & Proud Adopter of ...
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 & my new favorite Browser ... FireFox 1.0
Old June 6th 05, 10:32 PM
J. Clarke

wrote:

Hi, I am currently using a ATI Radeon 8500 on an older Dell P3 1000mgh
Pentium,I'm not into games ,so I am wondering if I would get better 2 D
performance with the G550,I using a Samsung 930B flat panel with digital
output,I am basically looking at better text performance.Thanks

I would try the ATI since you already have it, and it has dvi support.
I like Matrox for 2D, so I've only owned Matrox cards. You could
probably get the 8500 on ebay for less than $40.

In a word ... yes.
Matrox is the notorious "leader" in 2d rendering/display ... while ATI
concerns itself primarily, with 3d performance.

If he sees a _significant_ improvement in text by going from a Radeon 8500
to a G550 then his radeon was broken. There may be some slight difference
that an expert on text rendering might be able to detect with a magnifier
or instruments, but there is none perceptible to the average user.

The notion that there is some huge difference in text quality between Matrox
and other boards is pure hyperbole.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old June 7th 05, 04:42 AM
Tod

I've used a Matrox G400 and an ATI 9100 (really a renamed 8500).
The ATI 8500 will give about 90% as good 2D as the Matrox G400/G550.
So it's not worth spending the money.
As a matter of fact, the 8500 architecture is newer then the G400/G450/G550.
So driver support and 3D will be better (not trying to knock Matrox).

If you really wanted the best 2D you would need to get a Matrix Parhelia

Old June 7th 05, 04:45 AM
Tod

Matrox has usually had better 2D then other cards.
ATI was second, Nvidia was third.
But the "others" have gotten better.

Old June 7th 05, 04:41 PM
Edi Zubovic

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:46:33 +0200, "
wrote:

"Tony Pacc" wrote:

My question is would I see a significant improvement in text?

No, I use Matrox G400MAX, G550, P650 and Radeon 7500, 8500, 9600 and on the
same monitor these is IMHO no discernable difference in text or colour
quality.

Best regards

Andy

If you are seeking after a maximum text quality, go LCD and DVI. At
native resolution, a dot above "i" is one pixel. No less, no more, no
in-between and completely flicker-free.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Old June 7th 05, 08:38 PM
J. Clarke

george1234 wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:41:05 +0200, Edi Zubovic edi.zubovic[rem
wrote:

If you are seeking after a maximum text quality, go LCD and DVI. At
native resolution, a dot above "i" is one pixel. No less, no more, no
in-between and completely flicker-free.

that is not my experience. i did this with a syntax olevia 30" LCD and
and ATI dvi output. Text looked awful

I much prefer a CRT

So lets see, you tried to display text on a crap TV and it looked bad and so
LCDs with DVI are necessarily inferior to CRTs? I bet you weren't running
it at its native resolution either.

Now try a real monitor.

--G