multiple cams viewed by multiple clients question

Old February 9th 04, 05:54 AM
L.Coates

Default multiple cams viewed by multiple clients question

Hello all - my plan is too run multiple cameras from different sites viewed
by multiple clients. Site servers will be running Linux OS with Apache to
take care of Logon/password and generation of user profiles(time connected,
etc.).
My question is:
Is it easier to FTP all cameras to (1) server?
Or
run independent servers at each camera location?

Benefit of first scenario is only one Server to maintain. Drawback is
Bandwidth from multiple streams & clients.

2nd seems excessive as I'm duplicating funtion. Any Insight?

Old February 9th 04, 07:43 AM
Rowdy

L.Coates wrote:

Hello all - my plan is too run multiple cameras from different sites viewed
by multiple clients. Site servers will be running Linux OS with Apache to
take care of Logon/password and generation of user profiles(time connected,
etc.).
My question is:
Is it easier to FTP all cameras to (1) server?
Or
run independent servers at each camera location?

Benefit of first scenario is only one Server to maintain. Drawback is
Bandwidth from multiple streams & clients.

2nd seems excessive as I'm duplicating funtion. Any Insight?

I would FTP to a single server. I would STREAM from individual servers.

The end solution often depends on available bandwidth and usage. If you
only have a modem dialup on a camera and ten people want to view it, you
either have to do an ftp image with slow update or stream to a central
server and rebroadcast for throughput.

So questions needing answered might be:

1. Whats your budget?
2. Whats the usage per camera?
3. Do you really need streaming?
4. Remote control? If so, probably needs streaming.
5. Who's your customer and what do they need?

It sounds like you already have a bit of a handle on available scenarios
and YOU probably just need to sit down and think about it for a bit.

--

NOTE: I have modified my reply-to address to avoid

Question about reinstalling XP with multiple partitions Harlan Homebuilt PC's 1 June 10th 04 05:02 AM
Multiple drives - probably a very stupid question! John Peel Homebuilt PC's 7 February 13th 04 02:47 PM
Multiple cams oli Webcams 2 January 22nd 04 01:31 PM
Question ati 9200 and multiple displays... BJack Ati Videocards 0 December 2nd 03 11:57 AM