Diagnosis/conclusion of Skybuck's UBEE cable modem from 2009(tutorial how to get into it even if corrupted)

Old October 15th 18, 12:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Diagnosis/conclusion of Skybuck's UBEE cable modem from 2009(tutorial how to get into it even if corrupted)

Hello,

My diagnosis/conclusion concerning my UBEE cable modem is:

Corruption of download signal over COAX is somehow locking the modem out, or it's done by ISP provider, mostly it is caused by signal corruption.
(Could also be a miss configuration by ISP because of upgraded protocol, old modem gets confused by newer protocol, see log below)

This tutorial might help those to diagnose problems and to see menus of UBEE cable modem, the exercise in itself is almost useless it does provide some information about mac addresses and firmware, but logs will be deleted/reset, however this exercise does prove the cable modem is working correctly before it is hooked up to the COAX:

1. Disconnect cable modem from power.

2. Disconnect cable modem from coax/white cable (to splitter).

3. Connect cable modem to power.

4. Press reset button with a tiny screw driver.

5. Have browser open and navigate to 192.168.1.1

Use following links if 192.168.1.1 is not showing default menu:

Basic information is accessible without username/password:

http://192.168.1.1/BasicCmState.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicFirmware.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicStatus.asp

Advanced information is accessible with authentication:
user: admin
password: password

http://192.168.1.1/AdvMta.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvLine.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvDhcp.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvQos.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvProvisioning.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvEventLog.asp

The outputs will be htm pages, with red bars and information.

The event log was the most interesting after step 6:

6. Connect cable modem back to coax, I did it by disconnecting power first.

This is what the log showed:

Event Log
This page displays the Event Log on the current system.
CM Event Log
Date/Time Event Level Event ID Description
Time Not Established Warning (5) D3.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...
Time Not Established Critical (3) R2.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=0c:60:76:49...
Time Not Established Critical (3) T1.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
Time Not Established Critical (3) T2.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

MTA Event Log
Date/Time Event Level Event ID Description
Endpoint

I now believe that this response says it all:

"Non-critical field invalid in response"

Something strange is being downloaded.

Either it's a misconfiguration/miss communication from the ISP side, confusing this modem which is from 2009 or it is data corruption because of noisy signal.

Hopefully soon new splitter will arive which is supposed to replace old splitter to clear up analog tv signal.

It will be very interesting to see if this fixes the problem.

If not I may phone ISP with my findings to inform them that they might be causing some weird kind of misconfiguration on my modem, probably because of more advanced protocol from their side which may not be incompable with this older modem.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 15th 18, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Little typo corrected, I think I ment to write the last line as follows:

"...probably because of more advanced protocol from their side which may now be incompatible with this older modem."

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 15th 18, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

(Modem works fine for internetting, just can't get into the menu, resets connections when attempting too, may be a weird DHCP misconfiguration ?!?)

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 15th 18, 01:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I forgot to mention the method of debugging this modem and producing the log:

Being a programmer myself I used the logging functionality of the cable modem as a "debugger" by using the refresh F5 functionality of the webbrowser to get a constant update of the log (like stepping through code, this will show what the modem is doing step by step), and using the back button of the browser as a breakpoint. The webbrowser apperently remembers the last successfull transmission of the cable modem/websites/webservers. Firefox was used for this.

Exact method is as follows:

1. Connect modem as usual.

2. Power on modem.

3. Reset modem

4. Surf to http://192.168.1.1/AdvEventLog.asp

5. Keep pressing F5 until the log disappears/connection reset message.

6. Press back button of browser and examine last good log.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 15th 18, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Brief update:

New splitter has arrived, mailman stuffed it into the mailbox.

New splitter installed, green cable is hanging a bit though.

Did not help.

TV Signal is now even worse and more noisy.

When thing I forgot to mention is that one TV channel the frames move back and forth... like they are out of order, like a bad animation.

I have suspected for a long time that some device of theirs... down the road somewhere is defective.

So this problem is much more severe than it first seems.

The noise could be explained by bad cabling, the frame shaking however it something totally different.

Might be tv station to blame or ziggo, will have to contact them about this.

Maybe unrelated or related.

I am also quite ****ed at teamviewer 13

After restart this ****ing software changes the password automatically.

Was going to try and use remote control, couldn't do it cause ****ing password changed, now had to write it down again.

Will try again quickly before testing time closes today.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 15th 18, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
Brief update:

New splitter has arrived, mailman stuffed it into the mailbox.

New splitter installed, green cable is hanging a bit though.

Did not help.

TV Signal is now even worse and more noisy.

When thing I forgot to mention is that one TV channel the frames move back and forth...

Are you sure that analog TV is "enabled" on your line ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television_piracy

"Old cable equipment used an analog signal that was
scrambled by tuning the signal so the picture was
unsteady, just as Macrovision does at an attempt
to copy a video. The equipment would descramble the
signal so that it can be viewed by the subscriber."

It's possible that's done by shaving off the sync tips.
Or inverting sync.

In the picture here, "0 IRE" is the DC restoration level.
It is the "zero volts" level established by one stage of the video
processing steps.

The sync tips are below zero volts. It the sync tips don't
go quite as far below 0 IRE, the TV can "lose sync". It's
possible a set top box your provider has, restores sync.
Sync tips are known as "blacker than black", because they
go below the 0 IRE "black" level.

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/i.../DI39Fig05.gif

( from https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/a...dex.mvp/id/734 )

But that's a very old technology. Over here, all TV is
digital on the cable, and encrypted so only a Cable Card
device can decrypt it. I doubt there is any analog
signal left here, so you would not have an opportunity
to see a "rolling" or "weaving" frame on a cable TV set
today. You would see "snow" instead (encryption looks like
various kinds of snow).

*******

My guess is, your line needs to be verified by a cable person
coming out in a truck and checking the line. And checking
that the filters are set properly for the service you're
paying for. If an analog cable TV package is part of the
"bundle" you're paying for each month, they should make it work for
you, or, explain what additional equipment is needed.

A new splitter should not make the situation worse.

Paul
Old October 15th 18, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I went to a free wifi hotspot in my city, took brother's laptop with me.

This time connected the wireless laptop via wife with my home computer via team viewer.

This did work, so it does somewhat proof that making connections to my home computer is somewhat possible.

All other tests more or less failed.

Non of the udp protocols seemed to have worked, except maybe dns.

Reasons for this could be that these are blocked at the wifi-hotspots, but I am not sure.

Could also be a weird cable modem issue, though bittorrent works fine on my side.

TCPIPTest with micro server/micro client and free dynamic dns also failed.

I can see the IP address of my computer being returned by the DNS query but when trying to connect, connection timeout happens.

Not yet sure why, will try and install wireshark to see if there is any communication going on at all... my guess is not.

One idea is to use port 80 which seems to be open at wi-fi hotspots.

I will now call my television provider to report this dhcp problem and television signal problem(S).

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 15th 18, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 7:49:21 PM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
wrote:
Brief update:

New splitter has arrived, mailman stuffed it into the mailbox.

New splitter installed, green cable is hanging a bit though.

Did not help.

TV Signal is now even worse and more noisy.

When thing I forgot to mention is that one TV channel the frames move back and forth...

Are you sure that analog TV is "enabled" on your line ?

Ofcourse it is, perhaps it needs to be connected to other end of splitter, but doesn't seem like but ends are the same the model is:

POA 01-UPC

Can't find a manual for it, but so for my first impression is: total junk stay away from it =D

It's possible that's done by shaving off the sync tips.
Or inverting sync.

What may be happening is shaving off "television signal" in favor of digital cable modem/internet signal.

Speed test showed 100 megabit. My prediction is this signak will get worse over time as this cable modem company tries to compete with fiber optics.

A project may start in me region for fiber optics. I will definetly take part in this cause I can already see where this is going long term

technical drivel snipper, it's a problem on their side, not my side, my sharp television functions well, frame weird image is a problem on remote side).

My guess is, your line needs to be verified by a cable person
coming out in a truck and checking the line. And checking
that the filters are set properly for the service you're
paying for. If an analog cable TV package is part of the
"bundle" you're paying for each month, they should make it work for
you, or, explain what additional equipment is needed.

Possible that line was damaged by all drilling in building or outside.

Some channels come true perfectly, crystal clear, some don't which is a bit weird.

And then there is the weird shaky image. Can record it on video with my camera and put it on youtube if you want...

Yeah I may do that later on or maybe even now...

Now is best so ISP/TV guy can see it too...

A new splitter should not make the situation worse.

HAHA.

You funny.

Electronic junk equipment is everywhere dude =D

Damaged electronic equipment even more !

How would you know it's damaged ??!!!??

Gotta test it, sniff it, eat it, lick it, combine it with all kinds of tests methods to see what is wrong...

Digital future will be horrible because of component failures.

Testing the digital infrastructure and diagnosing it will become a new job in the future.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 15th 18, 09:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Ok I called ziggo a couple of times to try and get to the bottom of this.

At least the television section of ziggo was usefull, they will send a network engineer to try and diagnose the problem when it comes to noisy signal.

The internet section/service/support of ziggo was a bit less helpfull, but they try.

Questions asked by me:

1. Is a custom modem allowed, can I buy a custom mode:

Answer: no not allowed, it is "allowed" to have old cable modem

2. Is a screenshot from their settings on their end possible to be send to me ?

Answer: no not allowed.

3. Are they willing to perform some tests with me, with my own software, to test if the cable modem and internet is working properly, port-wise and such.

Answer: I'll ask, and eventually no not allowed, to much risk to their systems.

I did suggest installing a virtual machine, they girl on the phone thought that was neat.

Later I guess a superior/supervisor guy came on the phone claiming to be a programmer himself, futher questions asked to these people and girls and such:

4. Does ziggo have a testing facility where they test all of their combinations and such ?

Girl wasn't entirely sure, but yes such a division exists but nameless or she didn't know.

5. Later I asked the guy do they test combinations of new gear with old gear.
Old October 16th 18, 04:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 16:21:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

That's the 15-second reset, I hope.

5. Have browser open and navigate to 192.168.1.1

Use following links if 192.168.1.1 is not showing default menu:

Basic information is accessible without username/password:

http://192.168.1.1/BasicCmState.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicFirmware.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicStatus.asp

Advanced information is accessible with authentication:
user: admin
password: password

http://192.168.1.1/AdvMta.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvLine.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvDhcp.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvQos.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvProvisioning.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvEventLog.asp

The outputs will be htm pages, with red bars and information.

The event log was the most interesting after step 6:

I disagree. I'd say the event log is the least interesting of all. I
suggest ignoring the log page because there's nothing useful there. The
most interesting page will be the one with this info (after the modem is
connected to the coax and synced up):

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Frequency Power SNR
1 Not Locked unknown 329000000 Hz -6.9 dBmV 22.9 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
5 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
6 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
7 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
8 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV

Correctables Uncorrectables
0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Symbol Rate Frequency
Power
1 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Once the coax is reconnected and the modem is fully synced, you'll get
real numbers instead of all those zeros. Only then can you actually see
what's going on.