G450 Hans Windows 98se exit

Old July 26th 05, 04:59 PM
John Dulak

Default G450 Hans Windows 98se exit

I am having a problem with a Matrox G450 16 Meg Dual Head Card running
on a Windows 98se system with a "VIA MVP3 AGP" chipset motherboard. The
card actually works quite well except when I try to shut down the PC.
Most often I get the following BSOD error message:

"A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:c001409B in VXD VMM(01) +
0001309B"

This is followed with the usual message about "Press any key to
terminate or Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot". Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing and any
key gets me a mostly black screen with narrow white stripes plus a
blinking cursor in the lower right quadrant. NOTHING but a reset or
power off will resolve this.

Sometimes I get just a black screen with a frozen mouse pointer.

Interestingly when Windows restarts Scandisk runs but never finds
anything. Then Windows finishes loading and runs normally.

What I've tried:

- Driver versions 6.82 and 6.83

- Video Card Bios upgrade to v2.0-36

- Upgraded DX4 to DX8 (DxDiag passes all video tests

- The same card in a similar system works well and exits normally.

- A different G450 card but with 32 Meg also has problems in this PC.

For what it is worth the MB BIOS has some settings that relate to Video;
Video BIOS Shadow = Enabled
Video Bios Cacheable = Enabled
AGP Aperture Size = 32M
Assign IRG for Video VGA = Enabled

Any and all help, suggestions or WAGs are appreciated.

John Dulak

--
\\\\\//
"Don't take life so seriously... | |
Old July 27th 05, 09:56 AM

Hello John,
Hello John,

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:59:57 -0400, John Dulak
wrote:

I am having a problem with a Matrox G450 16 Meg Dual Head Card running
on a Windows 98se system with a "VIA MVP3 AGP" chipset motherboard. The
card actually works quite well except when I try to shut down the PC.
Most often I get the following BSOD error message:

"A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:c001409B in VXD VMM(01) +
0001309B"

Put this whole message into the search window of Google... and look
where it gets you.

This is followed with the usual message about "Press any key to
terminate or Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot". Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing and any
key gets me a mostly black screen with narrow white stripes plus a
blinking cursor in the lower right quadrant. NOTHING but a reset or
power off will resolve this.

Sometimes I get just a black screen with a frozen mouse pointer.

Interestingly when Windows restarts Scandisk runs but never finds
anything. Then Windows finishes loading and runs normally.

What I've tried:

- Driver versions 6.82 and 6.83

- Video Card Bios upgrade to v2.0-36

- Upgraded DX4 to DX8 (DxDiag passes all video tests

- The same card in a similar system works well and exits normally.

How 'similar' is that other system?

- A different G450 card but with 32 Meg also has problems in this PC.

For what it is worth the MB BIOS has some settings that relate to Video;
Video BIOS Shadow = Enabled

As far as I know Disabled is better (option is for very old and slow
systems)
Video Bios Cacheable = Enabled

As far as I know Disabled is better (option is for very old and slow
systems)
AGP Aperture Size = 32M

Right
Assign IRG for Video VGA = Enabled

Right

Any and all help, suggestions or WAGs are appreciated.

John Dulak

Although there is 'vxd' in the sentence of the fatal error, I am not
sure that the error is caused by (the drivers of) your videocard.

Did you try the util from Matrox for cleaning videodriver before
installing a new one?

Perhaps the patch for Windows98se not closing down in the right way
(from M$) will help or a 'refresh install' of Windows98se.

Max M.

Old July 29th 05, 01:25 AM
John Dulak

Max:

wrote:

I am having a problem with a Matrox G450 16 Meg Dual Head Card running
on a Windows 98se system with a "VIA MVP3 AGP" chipset motherboard. The
card actually works quite well except when I try to shut down the PC.
Most often I get the following BSOD error message:

"A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:c001409B in VXD VMM(01) +
0001309B"

Put this whole message into the search window of Google... and look
where it gets you.

Lost of genertic info about windows "fatal exception error"
troubleshooting but nothing specific.

- The same card in a similar system works well and exits normally.

How 'similar' is that other system?

Processor is a bit faster, hdd a bit bigger and the MB uses an ALi
chipset.

Although there is 'vxd' in the sentence of the fatal error, I am not
sure that the error is caused by (the drivers of) your videocard.

Did you try the util from Matrox for cleaning videodriver before
installing a new one?

I used the Control Panel "Remove Program" applet to uninstall the old
driver whixh was for a Matrox PCI card that functioned flawlessly. I was
back to "plain Vanilla VGA when I installed the new card and driver.

Perhaps the patch for Windows98se not closing down in the right way
(from M$) will help

I have this somewhere and will give it a try but it will be a while
before I get to it.

or a 'refresh install' of Windows98se.

Trying to avoid that. Have had problems in the past.

Max M.

John

--
\\\\\//
"Don't take life so seriously... | |
...it's only a temporary condition." (.) (.)
========================================oOO==(_)== OOo==
| John G. Dulak |
| Gnomeway Services |
/)| E-mail me from my home page at: |(\
/ )|
Old July 29th 05, 11:12 PM

Hello,

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:25:07 -0400, John Dulak
wrote:

Max:

wrote:

I am having a problem with a Matrox G450 16 Meg Dual Head Card running
on a Windows 98se system with a "VIA MVP3 AGP" chipset motherboard. The
card actually works quite well except when I try to shut down the PC.
Most often I get the following BSOD error message:

"A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:c001409B in VXD VMM(01) +
0001309B"

Put this whole message into the search window of Google... and look
where it gets you.

Lost of genertic info about windows "fatal exception error"
troubleshooting but nothing specific.

That's a pity...

- The same card in a similar system works well and exits normally.

How 'similar' is that other system?

Processor is a bit faster, hdd a bit bigger and the MB uses an ALi
chipset.

Nor of those make that other mobo better, but differences in used
device drivers and other software *could* make the difference between
working well and not working well, hence my question.

Although there is 'vxd' in the sentence of the fatal error, I am not
sure that the error is caused by (the drivers of) your videocard.

You really should try another videocard (+driver) to look and see if
that makes a difference. You need proof that it is the vidcard causing
the problem.

Did you try the util from Matrox for cleaning videodriver before
installing a new one?

I used the Control Panel "Remove Program" applet to uninstall the old
driver whixh was for a Matrox PCI card that functioned flawlessly. I was
back to "plain Vanilla VGA when I installed the new card and driver.

Perhaps the patch for Windows98se not closing down in the right way
(from M$) will help

I have this somewhere and will give it a try but it will be a while
before I get to it.

All right... to me. ;-)

or a 'refresh install' of Windows98se.

Trying to avoid that. Have had problems in the past.

What kind of problems? If the 'normal' reparations fail (like what you
have allready done and then using Easycleaner (free), Adaware (free),
perhaps defragmenter) I do a 'refresh install' of windows. It often
helps. If that does not help you can only reformat and reinstall
everything. That's no joy.

So you own the Matrox G450 with 16MB mem, don't you. I seem to
remember that it was a rather awsome quest to find the right driver
for mine. Are you sure your driver is o.k. for that specific model?
Are you using Wgx_682.exe or what?

Max M.

John

Max M.

Old August 3rd 05, 04:20 PM

Hello,

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:23:31 -0400, John Dulak

Hello,

You really should try another videocard (+driver) to look and see if
that makes a difference. You need proof that it is the vidcard causing
the problem.

The system is just fine when using a Matrox MGA PCI card.

A Matrox card of *exactly* the same model but then for pci? Otherwise
it proofs nothing.

Hm. There are several possibilities I think:
1. This videocard and some of the hardware are incompatible (hope it
is not your mobo). This can be found out by removing all peripherals
except hd and discdrive, trying for some time and if o.k. then adding
next peice of hardware, etc.
2. Some piece of software that interferes with... (same method as for
1.)
3. A faulty agp-slot: other videocard functions well in same slot?
4. If the little peice of litze (cable) that should be there on your
vidcard is not there anymore or is damaged, that can make the vidcard
unstable.

So you own the Matrox G450 with 16MB mem, don't you. I seem to
remember that it was a rather awsome quest to find the right driver
for mine. Are you sure your driver is o.k. for that specific model?
Are you using Wgx_682.exe or what?

I have tried "w9x_682.exe" and "w9w_683.exe". The only other driver
listed on the web sight is a 'Microsoft Certified' driver. No idea what
that means.

It means exactly wnat it says. M$ says the driver has been written
following their rules. This does *not* mean at all that a
non-certified driver will cause problems (from experience)

My objection to the "refresh" install comes from having FUBARed

My English is not good enough to know what fubared means...:-)
a system
once when working with an ATI card. It may come to a fresh install but I
would like to understand what is going on.

You are like me in this: I always want to know precisely what causes a
problem with my computer. Then I try to find out in a very methodical
way, but there should be a balance between labour and (quick) result,
don't you think?

I have made many times a refresh install with win98se without
problems.
John

Max M.

--
\\\\\//

Old August 5th 05, 08:07 PM
John Dulak

Max:

lid wrote:

Hello,

A Matrox card of *exactly* the same model but then for pci? Otherwise
it proofs nothing.

No. The PCI card uses an MGA chipset the AGP a G450 Chipset.

Hm. There are several possibilities I think:
1. This videocard and some of the hardware are incompatible (hope it
is not your mobo). This can be found out by removing all peripherals
except hd and discdrive, trying for some time and if o.k. then adding
next peice of hardware, etc.
2. Some piece of software that interferes with... (same method as for
1.)
3. A faulty agp-slot: other videocard functions well in same slot?
4. If the little peice of litze (cable) that should be there on your
vidcard is not there anymore or is damaged, that can make the vidcard
unstable.

1. Have not gotten to that point yet since this system is my PRIMARY
system. I have several drives with different OS installed so it would
not be too bad but I've taken another track

2. This is what I was thinking. I disabled an "InCD" packet reading TSR
to no effect.

Removed everything else in the way of running software till a
Ctrl+Alt+Del task list showed only Explorer - SysTray - PowerDesk -
Rundll32. The Rundll32 bothered me so I "End Task" for it but the
problem still occurred.

I then ran MS System File Checker but it found nothing.

I ran the "98se shutdown patch" (Q239887) but the problem still occurs.

I did a basic "Clean Boot" by running MSConfig.exe and unchecking
everything on the "General" tab. FINALLY the system would shut down
normally but the video driver was plain old VGA 640 x 480. If I
re-enabled the processing of the WIN.INI file the problem returned. In
then compared the WIN.INI file of the problem system to a very similar
system that uses a Matrox G450 card with no problems. Other than some
entries having to do with the different mice and sound cards there was
nothing obvious to change.

At this point I did a "refresh" install of Win98se by running SETUP from
within windows. The problem still occurred.

I then booted from a DOS floppy and deleted EVERYTHING from the drive
except the directory where I have copied the Win98se CD. I even used
ATTRIB to be sure I removed all Hidden System and Read Only files. the
problem stil occurs.

I have tried "w9x_682.exe" and "w9w_683.exe". The only other driver
listed on the web sight is a 'Microsoft Certified' driver. No idea what
that means.

It means exactly wnat it says. M$ says the driver has been written
following their rules. This does *not* mean at all that a
non-certified driver will cause problems (from experience)

This may be my next step. It is unclear if the driver is written by
Matrox or Microsoft. If done by Microsoft I suspect it is as "plain
Vanilla" as possible.

My objection to the "refresh" install comes from having FUBARed

My English is not good enough to know what fubared means...:-)

"F.U.B.A.R" it is an acronym meaning "Fouled Up Beyond Recognition" :-).

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...748437,00.html

You are like me in this: I always want to know precisely what causes a
problem with my computer. Then I try to find out in a very methodical
way, but there should be a balance between labour and (quick) result,
don't you think?

Yes. I realize that neither I, nor any other one person, will ever
understand EVERYTHING about any operating system but I just HATE having
not a clew as to what is going on.

John

--
\\\\\//
Old August 10th 05, 03:30 AM

Hello John,

I'm sorry for having not reacted on you for some days but my system
was unavailable because of problems as the result of trying to install
a new cooler of almost gigantic dimensions (Zalman 7000B). :-)

[CUT]

[...]

Rundll32 is a perfectly normal part of Windows98se. Nevertheless it
can cause problems when it's become corrupt.

[...]

Spooky!

I have tried "w9x_682.exe" and "w9w_683.exe". The only other driver
listed on the web sight is a 'Microsoft Certified' driver. No idea what
that means.

It means exactly wnat it says. M$ says the driver has been written
following their rules. This does *not* mean at all that a
non-certified driver will cause problems (from experience)

This may be my next step. It is unclear if the driver is written by
Matrox or Microsoft. If done by Microsoft I suspect it is as "plain
Vanilla" as possible.

I do not think M$ will ever write drivers for third party hardware ;-)
I don't suppose those third parties would appreciate that ;-))
Matros simply has produced a M$-certified driver to please their
clients (?)

My objection to the "refresh" install comes from having FUBARed

My English is not good enough to know what fubared means...:-)

"F.U.B.A.R" it is an acronym meaning "Fouled Up Beyond Recognition" :-).

:-))

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...748437,00.html

You are like me in this: I always want to know precisely what causes a
problem with my computer. Then I try to find out in a very methodical
way, but there should be a balance between labour and (quick) result,
don't you think?

Yes. I realize that neither I, nor any other one person, will ever
understand EVERYTHING about any operating system but I just HATE having
not a clew as to what is going on.

Like me.

clew=clue I know that notwithstanding my poor English ;-)

Well, doing a full reinstall of Win98se now?
But take a look at the little piece of cable that should be soldered
on the vidcard first! If it's not there you should solder a new one on
the vidcard, if it has loose end you should solder it. There is an
image of how the card should look on the internet.

Success!

John

Max M.
(Amsterdam)