What card for 1600x1200 dual?

Old May 10th 05, 02:57 AM
Mister Max

Default What card for 1600x1200 dual?

I want to upgrade my graphics card from a Matrox G550, which doesn't
support the full native resolution of my new LCD monitor, and won't let
me adjust colors separately on two monitors. I don't use games or TV, so
I don't need 3D.

My system:
Monitors: Samsung 213T DVI LCD + Sony CRT
Motherboard: AGP slot. Intel D845HV. Bus Clock 100 MHz.
Processor: 180 GHz Pentium 4. 8 KB primary, 256 KB secondary cache
OS: Windows XP Pro SP2
Primary use: Photoshop CS2 (My upgrade is on order.)

Objectives:
1. To use the native 1600x1200 resolution of the LCD.
2. To calibrate the two monitors separately: Adobe Gamma, color, etc.

What graphic card should I buy?
- Max

--
MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,
Mt Holly, Myanmar (new), Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand (new),
Tour de France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax - Shadows and Reflections
Old May 10th 05, 04:06 AM
Paul GoodBar

Voodoo 2 12 Meg card. They look nice

Old May 10th 05, 06:51 AM
Kent_Diego

I want to upgrade my graphics card from a Matrox G550, which doesn't

support the full native resolution of my new LCD monitor, and won't let
me adjust colors separately on two monitors. I don't use games or TV, so
I don't need 3D.

My system:
Monitors: Samsung 213T DVI LCD + Sony CRT
Motherboard: AGP slot. Intel D845HV. Bus Clock 100 MHz.
Processor: 180 GHz Pentium 4. 8 KB primary, 256 KB secondary cache
OS: Windows XP Pro SP2
Primary use: Photoshop CS2 (My upgrade is on order.)

Objectives:
1. To use the native 1600x1200 resolution of the LCD.
2. To calibrate the two monitors separately: Adobe Gamma, color, etc.

What graphic card should I buy?

Any modern video card should be able to do 2048x1536 dual monitor. There are
a few ultra cheap cards that can only handle one monitor but rare nowadays.

-Kent

Old May 12th 05, 12:23 AM
Mister Max

"Sharanga Dayananda" posted:

I doubt whether any nVidia or ATi cards can do independent gamma for
each display.

Pre-sale help at Matrox emailed me that
"the best card for you would be our Millennium P650. ... All three skus
support dual color calibration and support 2 digital monitors up to and
including 1920 X 1200."

An expert at protonic.com recommended the Nvidia NVS 280.

An appendix to a Nvidia Technical Brief on nView says that the Nvidia
GeForce4 MX/Go and GeForce4 Ti cards have "Digital Vibrance Control
Technology" which "enables users to independently tune the video settings
for each of the display devices, resulting in richer, brighter, and
clearer images."

Anybody have an opinion on which would be better?

- Max

. 97.136...

Old May 12th 05, 02:49 AM
jayson

On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:23:29 -0500, Mister Max
wrote:

"Sharanga Dayananda" posted:

I doubt whether any nVidia or ATi cards can do independent gamma for
each display.

Pre-sale help at Matrox emailed me that
"the best card for you would be our Millennium P650. ... All three skus
support dual color calibration and support 2 digital monitors up to and
including 1920 X 1200."

An expert at protonic.com recommended the Nvidia NVS 280.

An appendix to a Nvidia Technical Brief on nView says that the Nvidia
GeForce4 MX/Go and GeForce4 Ti cards have "Digital Vibrance Control
Technology" which "enables users to independently tune the video settings
for each of the display devices, resulting in richer, brighter, and
clearer images."

Anybody have an opinion on which would be better?

- Max

The P650 is an awfully good card and the drivers are solid. And I've
always considered Matrox to have the best 2D. But I happen to own the
650 so I'm biased.
Old May 12th 05, 04:07 AM
Larc

wrote:

| "Sharanga Dayananda" posted:
|
| I doubt whether any nVidia or ATi cards can do independent gamma for
| each display.
|
| Pre-sale help at Matrox emailed me that
| "the best card for you would be our Millennium P650. ... All three skus
| support dual color calibration and support 2 digital monitors up to and
| including 1920 X 1200."
|
| An expert at protonic.com recommended the Nvidia NVS 280.
|
| An appendix to a Nvidia Technical Brief on nView says that the Nvidia
| GeForce4 MX/Go and GeForce4 Ti cards have "Digital Vibrance Control
| Technology" which "enables users to independently tune the video settings
| for each of the display devices, resulting in richer, brighter, and
| clearer images."
|
| Anybody have an opinion on which would be better?

I can't say definitively which is better since I've used only the
Matrox P650 of those you mention. But I can say it's an excellent
card that will do exactly what you say you want at least as well as
any other card I've experienced.

One of the strong points about Matrox is that they aren't forever
introducing new products and quickly abandoning support for last
year's models. Their support is second to none IMHO. There will
undoubtedly be occasional updated drivers for the P650 as long as you
would want to use it. And if history is an indicator, there will be
appropriate Matrox drivers as soon as you need them when the next
version of Windows is available.

Larc