My experience: I'm testing memory first. memtest86

Old May 29th 04, 08:27 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Default My experience: I'm testing memory first. memtest86

Hey guys,

I am often helping people out with their old computer systems and have
always lacked a memory tester. I know, I know...

I've been relying (like an ignoramus) on the mobo powerup test. Turns
out that sucker just doesn't do it.

For anyone that cares, there's a free utility called memtest86

www.memtest86.com

It quickly creates a bootup diskette that is dedicated to running a
memory test.

It just discovered flaky memory on a friend's system. I wish I had
discovered it in time, it would have saved me a HUGE hassle!!!!

Next time I get a system (I've been tinkering with upgrading and
repairing stuff for folks for free) that acts a little odd, I'm running
that test. Heck, just might be the first thing I ever run.

Man I wish I discovered this sucker sooner..................

--
Forgetthesong,I'lljustoptforthefrontallobotomy...

Old May 31st 04, 02:34 AM
allyf

VIRUS !!!!!!

Old May 31st 04, 05:45 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

??? It nav-scans fine. It works fine. It was suggested by others. It
was from the source site.

What are you talking about?

allyf coughed up the following:

[...]

http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.

Old May 31st 04, 05:52 AM
Ogden Johnson III

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

allyf coughed up the following:

VIRUS !!!!!!

??? It nav-scans fine. It works fine. It was suggested by others. It
was from the source site.

What are you talking about?

It means YHBT. IOW, allyf is screwing around.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Old May 31st 04, 07:45 AM
The Social Outcast

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message ...

Hey guys,

I am often helping people out with their old computer systems and have
always lacked a memory tester. I know, I know...

I've been relying (like an ignoramus) on the mobo powerup test. Turns
out that sucker just doesn't do it.

For anyone that cares, there's a free utility called memtest86

www.memtest86.com

It quickly creates a bootup diskette that is dedicated to running a
memory test.

It just discovered flaky memory on a friend's system. I wish I had
discovered it in time, it would have saved me a HUGE hassle!!!!

Next time I get a system (I've been tinkering with upgrading and
repairing stuff for folks for free) that acts a little odd, I'm running
that test. Heck, just might be the first thing I ever run.

Man I wish I discovered this sucker sooner..................

Yep, been using that for ages, excellent proggie.

But have you seen Memtest86+ which can be found at http://www.memtest.org/

This is apparently an upto date version based around the original Memtest86
engine. Same principle, boot from floppy etc etc, works just as well as the
original.

Old May 31st 04, 06:10 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

The Social Outcast coughed up the following:

[...]

Excellent! THANKS!

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of

Old June 1st 04, 10:38 AM
Buck Rogers

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Hey guys,

I am often helping people out with their old computer systems and have
always lacked a memory tester. I know, I know...

I've been relying (like an ignoramus) on the mobo powerup test. Turns
out that sucker just doesn't do it.

For anyone that cares, there's a free utility called memtest86

www.memtest86.com

It quickly creates a bootup diskette that is dedicated to running a
memory test.

It just discovered flaky memory on a friend's system. I wish I had
discovered it in time, it would have saved me a HUGE hassle!!!!

Next time I get a system (I've been tinkering with upgrading and
repairing stuff for folks for free) that acts a little odd, I'm running
that test. Heck, just might be the first thing I ever run.

Man I wish I discovered this sucker sooner..................

Thanks for sharing that information with us. I don't have Ram problems,
but I think I'll run memtest just to see how it works.

Buck

Old June 1st 04, 10:43 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Buck Rogers coughed up the following:

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

[...]

Welks.

There have just been toooooo many times I've "repaired" something and
said words to the effect of:

It /seems/ to work now [but I'm not sure].

Thomas

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmal luntilsomeoneramsitupy
ournose.