Do you like Norton SystemWorks Pro?

Old September 7th 03, 11:14 PM
Steve

Default Do you like Norton SystemWorks Pro?

Hi,

I've seen the full retail 2003 version for sale for as low as $15 including
one year of updates (but without printed manuals, they're in electronic form
on CD) and as much as I realize the average mass consumer software packages
can be clumsy if not ineffectual this seems like a decent price for what you
get. Is there anything so reprehensible/technical (I'm running XP Pro) about
this package that even the $15 is a waste of money? Maybe Utilities and Ghost
make it worth it whereas I'm better off with NOD32 as an anti-virus solution.

The Professional (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/pro/) version includes
the following:
Norton AntiVirus
Norton Utilities
Norton CleanSweep
Norton Ghost
GoBack 3 Personal Edition

Thanks, Steve.
Old September 8th 03, 04:41 AM
MyndPhlyp

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

You will probably never use Ghost unless you are a techie looking to stamp
out a bunch of clone machines for your employer. You might use GoBack, but
more likely you will simply uninstall whatever offending software you most
recently installed. And, you can use CleanSweep to get a complete uninstall.

Utilities is an excellent suite of tools. However, the only 2 tools you will
use most often are WinDoctor (to check and fix the Registry) and SpeedDisk
(which is still, in my opinion, the best defrag utility available). Some
people make use of the One Button Checkup. It is too automated for my liking
and I prefer to make Registry fixes one at a time rather than trusting some
software to guess the solutions. (I have caught WinDoctor making some poor
first choices in some of its solutions far too often.)

AntiVirus is something all machines should have. Keep in mind that AntiVirus
engines have a life span of about 2-3 years, so you'll be buying (upgrading)
this again in 2005-2006. The virus signatures are a 1-year subscription
service with the first year included in the package price. (But, if you
uninstall and reinstall Norton AntiVirus, it starts the 1-year clock all
over again.)

Bottom line, WinDoctor, SpeedDisk and AntiVirus for $15 is a steal. Just do
it.

Old September 8th 03, 03:46 PM
Lawrence Glasser

brane_ded wrote:

Steve wrote in message u...
[...]

Hi Steve,
I have been using SW 2002 Pro on a second machine for 2 yrs of
updates.
(In-otherwords, you can use it for 2 computers at the same time, or if
you get a new one,you can install, and the updates start from that
time)
b_d

From what I understand, the newly released NAV 2004 now requires an
activation, similar(?) to MS's Windows XP.

If this is true, does anyone know if it can still be installed on
mutliple machines?

Thanks!

Larry
Old September 8th 03, 04:32 PM
Hurricane Andrew

First, NAV2004 is a one machine only product, so you can't activate on
mulitple machines. Of course if you get rid of your old system or do
significant upgrades to the existing one, you can call and still use the
product, just like with MSFT.

As for SystemWorks, I always found it to be a great product---for Win9x.
Most of the utilities can be replaced by freeware utilities found elsewhere.
As for SpeedDisk, if you use NTFS file system, then I think you'll find
other defragmenters (I personally prefer Diskeeper) that are quicker and
better. Even the built in XP defrag isn't much of a step down from
SpeedDisk with respect to NTFS volumes. NAV is certainly the cream of the
package, so if you go this route, (as I did awhile ago) consider only
installing NAV, unless you really want the other apps.

Also, as others have mentioned, you may be able to do even better than the
$15 you've seen. With NAV 2004 hitting the shelves now, you may be able to
pick it up free after rebates, especially at places like staples, office
max, and best buy.

--

Andrew

History teaches that wars begin when governments believe the price of
aggression is cheap.

Old September 8th 03, 11:09 PM
Homer Simpson

I use it, I recommend it, I install it on everything. The One Button
Checkup keeps the PC behaving properly, starting up and shutting down
rapidly, and decreases the Win9x crashes. The AV is the least overhead AV I
have found so far. Ghost is invaluable for backups, Disk Doctor is the only
way to defrag.

Old September 9th 03, 02:09 AM
Allan9

There was an article I've reasd during the past couple of weeks kindof bad
mouthing it. Especially Ghost. Supposedly quite a few bugs. I bought 2002
and have used it with no problems.
Al

Old September 9th 03, 03:28 AM
Keith S.

I have routinely used GHOST to backup my hard drive-

- I have found that by partitioning the harddrive, creating an additional
partition (FAT32 for GHOST to see it) and using GHOST to create a
partition -to-image, th eimage is the best backup I have ever had. I can
recreate my hard drive bit for bit.

this has given me license to play/experiment with the knowledge that no
matter how I mess up, I can recover without any time on hold for tech
support.

"MyndPhlyp" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old September 9th 03, 04:19 AM
Bill

Same here. I purchased Systemworks 2002 Professional Edition from Ebay last
November, for around $15.00. Ghost is, by far, my favorite program of the
bunch. Backup is swift/easy, and it has saved me on several occasions--not
to mention that freedom to "play/experiment," knowing that a full restore is
only a few minutes away if needed.

"Keith S." wrote in message
I have routinely used GHOST to backup my hard drive-

- I have found that by partitioning the harddrive, creating an additional
partition (FAT32 for GHOST to see it) and using GHOST to create a
partition -to-image, th eimage is the best backup I have ever had. I can
recreate my hard drive bit for bit.

this has given me license to play/experiment with the knowledge that no
matter how I mess up, I can recover without any time on hold for tech
support.

"MyndPhlyp" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old September 9th 03, 02:52 PM
Pat Conover

Do you know any other e-tailers, other than EBay, that have Norton SW Pro
for about $15. Cheapest I found was about $27 for an OEM with one year of
updates. I will need 4 copies by October. Thanks, Pat

Pat Conover

k.net...

"Keith S." wrote in message
I have routinely used GHOST to backup my hard drive-

- I have found that by partitioning the harddrive, creating an

additional
partition (FAT32 for GHOST to see it) and using GHOST to create a
partition -to-image, th eimage is the best backup I have ever had. I can
recreate my hard drive bit for bit.

this has given me license to play/experiment with the knowledge that no
matter how I mess up, I can recover without any time on hold for tech
support.

"MyndPhlyp" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old September 9th 03, 09:28 PM
Bill

Ebay is the only source I'm aware of immediately. You don't have to place a
bid and hope you win with some of these. I purposely looked for an auction
with a "Buy it Now" price (and I checked the seller's feedback carefully
before clicking the button) to avoid the bidding hassle.

Some of the sellers have multiple copies for sale, so you could probably get
all four at the same time.

"Pat Conover" wrote in message

Do you know any other e-tailers, other than EBay, that have Norton SW Pro
for about $15. Cheapest I found was about $27 for an OEM with one year of
updates. I will need 4 copies by October. Thanks, Pat

Pat Conover

k.net...

"Keith S." wrote in message
I have routinely used GHOST to backup my hard drive-

- I have found that by partitioning the harddrive, creating an

additional
partition (FAT32 for GHOST to see it) and using GHOST to create a
partition -to-image, th eimage is the best backup I have ever had. I

can
recreate my hard drive bit for bit.

this has given me license to play/experiment with the knowledge that

no
matter how I mess up, I can recover without any time on hold for tech
support.

"MyndPhlyp" wrote in message
ink.net...

norton AV2005 problem Christo General 9 November 29th 04 03:44 AM
Alternatives to Norton Internet Security (HELP!) Johnny Canuck General 14 September 24th 04 01:56 AM
Need alternative to Norton Systemworks limner Homebuilt PC's 2 February 15th 04 02:05 AM
Use pack from the M$ This post is infected with Worm.Automat.AHB and Norton Antivirus DOES NOT detected in usenet posts. Archie Cdr 0 September 20th 03 09:25 AM
Do you like Norton SystemWorks Pro? Steve Homebuilt PC's 8 September 8th 03 01:42 PM