thoughts on new system

Old January 12th 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Inlaw Biker

Default thoughts on new system

Sean wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Sean" wrote in message
Core2duo 6300

Foxconn P9657AA-8EKRS2H, Intel® P965

GEIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC-6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM KIT

Powercolor ATI Radeon X1950Pro 256MB Arctic Cooling Version. 2x DVI.
HDTV/VIVO PCIE

hmmm.. a little more expensive but is this a better way to go?

--
Sean

No, I don't think you'll be happy with that. You'll end up with budget
performance. The core 2 duo is good, but the one you picked is low-end.
If you are trying to save money, go with a less expensive video card.
Bump up to an E6600, even if that means you have to drop a notch or two on
the video card and start with 1.5GB of RAM. Otherwise, you'll get an
awesome video card that will be held back by a slow processor. -Dave

Looking at the reviews I disagree.. I've decided to change the mobo to an
Asus P5B-E and overclock the crap out of the the E6300 .. apparently it's an
incredibly overclockable chip and some ppl have even managed to get it
stably to 3.6Ghz .. that's almost twice as fast.
At least if I can't do this, I'm all set up to upgrade to a better CPU in
the near future when prices drop a bit more..

Thanks so much for the help. I wouldn't have considered Intel otherwise.

Regards,

Sean

I've been researching upgrading my P4 2.4ghz. You're on the right
track. I would add that the E6400 also overclocks great and is only
about $30 more than the E6300. The P5B-E is a good choice because it
supports the quad-core chips, which right now are just way too
expensive. In a few years when you're ready to double your speed they
should be affordable.

Greg

Old January 12th 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

Dave, you are the Saint Francis of power-supplies. Your persistence is,
I wager, saving many people headaches with their builds.

I hope so. -Dave