P4PE and USB2.0 Question

Old February 14th 04, 01:36 AM
gja1

Default P4PE and USB2.0 Question

I have this MB running Win98SE. I installed USB2.0 Drivers from
Orangeware
and had a problem installing a film scanner(Minolta Scan Dual IV).
Apparently,
the orangeware drivers were buggy. Does anyone have this motherboard
and
operating system and run USB2.0? I would like to be able to run USB2.0
somehow.

Old February 14th 04, 08:25 AM
Paul

In article , gja1 wrote:

I have this MB running Win98SE. I installed USB2.0 Drivers from
Orangeware
and had a problem installing a film scanner(Minolta Scan Dual IV).
Apparently,
the orangeware drivers were buggy. Does anyone have this motherboard
and
operating system and run USB2.0? I would like to be able to run USB2.0
somehow.

Maybe you could purchase a cheap PCI USB2 card and plug your
scanner in there ? Just make sure the card you select has a
driver for Win98SE. (For example, I visited the Belkin website,
and one of their cards is using what could be an Orangeware driver,
but it appears to be regularly updated - last updated 1/23/04.
I think the chip on the card is a Via USB chip.)

In terms of performance, the sample spec for the Minolta says it
produces a 41MB scan in 21 seconds, which is a capture rate of
2MB per second. USB 1.1 has a theoretical transfer rate of 1.5MB
per second and perhaps a practical transfer rate of 1MB per second.
So, in this case, using USB 2.0 will help a bit - many
cheap scanning devices are the exact opposite, and USB 2.0 doesn't
help them at all.

http://www2.konicaminolta.jp/english...ification.html

I tried the Intel website, to see if they have a more recent
Orangeware driver for the 845PE, and no such luck. Since Intel
makes motherboards, one place to look is in their downloads for
their own motherboards, and the Orangeware driver listed for
a 845PEBT2 is version 1.

http://developer.intel.com/design/mo.../bt2_drive.htm

HTH,
Paul
Old February 14th 04, 05:22 PM
Wayne Roop

I'm using owich4usb2v1_03.zip, dated 2/11/03. It's the one Asus has for
our M/B on its main website. This is the latest I could find. I checked
Asus-Taiwan and Intel. OrangeWare itself doesn't provide drivers.
The only device I use USB2 for is a H-P G85 OfficeJet all-in-one printer
and it functions fine. I have never tried any other devices which require or
prefer USB2. I've had no problems installing USB2 drivers.

Regards,
Wayne R.