Problems with Sound on P4PE (SoundMax)

Old June 25th 03, 07:30 AM
mad amoeba

Default Problems with Sound on P4PE (SoundMax)

Had a lot of trouble with my Asus P4PE. After much
struggle seems that I've resolves most of them(got lan working, computer
feels nice and smooth with w2k).

However one problem that I still can not solve is onboard sound. The sound
is often unacceptable.
While playing many files that I know for a fact to be high quality I get a
lot of crackling and a lot of 'tapping' sounds and
a lot of noise (however many other files sound OK). I seem to have installed
all the latest drivers etc from asus website
but that didn't help.

However here are several clues that might be relevant.
1. When I was installing drivers from Asus cd I started getting
errors something like "could not find entry point for the driver
\some\weird\path_here\filename"
2. installed windows XP on the same mobo and that helped the sound problem a
lot(although didnt solve it completely).
However Id rather use win2k so using winxp is not an option.
3. I think that right after fresh install of win2k the sound was better than
when I started messing around with sound settings.
Is there a way to get all the sound settings to the way they were when the
system was freshly installed. I tried uninstalling soundmax
but that didnt help.

I've also contacted Asus technical support many days ago but am yet to
receive any reply. So it looks like you guys
are my only hope. I was thinking of buying a 20$ sound card but that would
be like giving up since what is the point of
buying such an expensive mobo if I can't get it to work.

TIA

Old June 25th 03, 05:47 PM
Paul

In article , "mad amoeba"
wrote:

[...]

Did you try "Delayed Transaction" [Enabled] in the BIOS ?
That sometimes helps.

HTH,
Paul
Old June 26th 03, 02:02 AM
mad amoeba

yes 'delayed transaction' in bios is enabled.
thank you for replying.

Old June 26th 03, 03:00 PM
Mr Jones

You know, I was just having those same problems. When I first put the
computer together, it was kind of confusing when it came to hooking up the
front panel audio hookups on my Antec Sonata case, so I blew off hooking
them up. After a few weeks of the kids reaching behind the computer to put
headphones in, I finally went in there and (I guess) figured out what goes
where. That's when I started having all the popping and cracking until I got
sick of it, yanked the connection and it's been good ever since. Between the
markings on the Antec connectors, what the manual said and the P4PE
instructions it was very confusing. I'd love to have that front audio, but
I'm not going to put up with the crappy audio for it. Good luck

Tim

et...