I have discovered real overclocking! old skool

Old April 5th 05, 03:45 PM
Veritech

Default I have discovered real overclocking! old skool

This is just a story i wanted to share

i was gonna turn my old pc into a print server, i've got two old skt 370
cpus a 1.1ghz celeron, and a 533mhz celeron. 1 GHz is alot just to print a
couple docs, so why don't i underclock the cpu, ok. how, there aren't any
bios options. So i take a peek inside the case. Theres a small set of dip
switches, ah that might do the trick. So i download the manual for the
motherboard, and find the instructions on the settings. My current pc is
overclocked by a crappy 100mhz(roughly 5%). Turns out my older rig, could
possibly be overclocked by 120%, lol. the switches allow me to hold the
memory speed around 100mhz and take the fsb as high as 167, giving my 1ghz a
max speed of 1.8ghz! and my 533mhz a speed of 1.3ghz!

The only problem is where i get a O'C friendly cooling for a skt 370
nowadays. i don't really destroy the cpus but i at least wanna try to hit
these speeds. but i can't wait to try it out. Getting a HDD for it soon so
i'll tell ya how it goes and hopefully post some cpuz shots.

Lucky i don't feel to bad as i had to upgrade as that motherboard didn't
have an agp port, but i had known i might have waited a while.
--
"Blu-Ray"
2600+Sempron (O/C @1.924Ghz)

Old April 5th 05, 06:04 PM
Pat

Is that a 533 Coppermine core? If so, it should do 850-900 without any
problems or special cooling. 1 Ghz would be an extremely high limit for that
CPU. If its the older core, PPGA type, then its already at its max. There's
no way you'd get that processor to 1.3 Ghz.

The 1.1 Ghz Celeron, is that a Tulatin core? Or Coppermine core? I can't
remember what the fastest coppermine core celeron is, but 1.1 may be it. If
its a Tulatin core, it may get as fast as 1.6.

Granted, this all depends on what kind of options the motherboard has. I'm
95% sure you won't have PCI and AGP frequency locking. Also, Depending if
your memory is PC66, PC100, or PC133, that may limit you.

Pat

Old April 5th 05, 06:31 PM
Spajky

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:45:32 GMT, "Veritech"
wrote:

, lol. the switches allow me to hold the
memory speed around 100mhz and take the fsb as high as 167, giving my 1ghz a
max speed of 1.8ghz! and my 533mhz a speed of 1.3ghz!

dream on! :-)
--
˛˛ ˛˛ Regards , SPAJKY ®
\\.//_. mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
Old April 5th 05, 06:48 PM
Veritech

life is an adventure, lol

i was impressed at the board ability to offer so many fsb speeds and ratios
considering its a cheapo board from a prebuilt system(asus TUWE-M)

Concerning the 533 which one has the heat spreader?

i think the id no./stepping code is
fv524rx533
128 sl3fz

manufactered 98

As for the 1ghz i think is tulatin but i'm not sure, i can't get the
stepping code as its installed in the board and i haven't got any thermal
paste laying around.

as for the fsb, i might be able to get away with it, as the board was
designed for 66/100/ and 133 fsb operation, how ever it only takes pc100
memory so i'll use something like 101/125 to get the result i want. It
should be cool if it works though

thanks for the info

"Veritech" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old April 5th 05, 06:58 PM
Veritech

Its nice to dream, even its theoretical

Old April 5th 05, 07:13 PM
Pat

Concerning the 533 which one has the heat spreader?

Coppermine Processors do not have Metal heat spreaders on the top. The die
is visible and usually blue if I remember correctly.

As for the 1ghz i think is tulatin but i'm not sure, i can't get the
stepping code as its installed in the board and i haven't got any thermal
paste laying around.

Run Sandra Sisoft and it will tell you all about the processor. A few ways
to tell, the Tulatin has 256 cache onboard, the coppermine has 128. The
coppermine doesn't have a heat spreader, the tulatin does. After a 30 second
google search I found that the motherboard in question supports Tulatin
processors. So, maybe you'll be lucky.

Old April 5th 05, 09:32 PM
Spajky

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:13:47 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

Concerning the 533 which one has the heat spreader?

Coppermine Processors do not have Metal heat spreaders on the top. The die
is visible and usually blue if I remember correctly.

you remember correctly but you maybe would like to know, there was a
FcPga2 Coppermine P3 around 1GHz (the only one-looked like Tuallies,
but was not!)...
Old April 5th 05, 10:16 PM
David Maynard

Veritech wrote:

life is an adventure, lol

i was impressed at the board ability to offer so many fsb speeds and ratios
considering its a cheapo board from a prebuilt system(asus TUWE-M)

Concerning the 533 which one has the heat spreader?

PPGA. It'll probably run 550, or maybe 600, but there's not a rat's chance
in hell it'll do 1.3 gig.

i think the id no./stepping code is
fv524rx533
128 sl3fz

manufactered 98

As for the 1ghz i think is tulatin but i'm not sure, i can't get the
stepping code as its installed in the board and i haven't got any thermal
paste laying around.

Most 1 gig Celerons were coppermines (bare die on chip carrier) and will
do, maybe, 1.2 gig but not 1.8 gig.

Tualatins have a heat spreader and the max stock Celeron tualatin is 1.4
gig and some have gotten them to 1.6.

as for the fsb, i might be able to get away with it, as the board was
designed for 66/100/ and 133 fsb operation, how ever it only takes pc100
memory so i'll use something like 101/125 to get the result i want. It
should be cool if it works though

Don't be too disappointed. Just because you can feed a clock to the
processor doesn't mean it'll *run* at that speed.

And you won't get maximum overclocks without increasing core voltage.

thanks for the info

Old April 5th 05, 10:52 PM
Veritech

well i got dissappointment to report, lol, i guess thats what happens when
your aims are too high (i wonder if michael howard reads this NG?)

the 1GHz doesn't look good, i'm not sure if its the board or not, but i'll
find out by the end of the week when i some TIM.

the max oc was a crappy 1.1ghz.

i tried 1.26 but the board wouldn't post, my guess is it uses three
ratios(1:2:3:2, 1:2:3:3 & 1:2:3:4 pci,agp,ram,cpu) 126 throws the pci out by
a massive 1.9 mhz and the whole system goes pear shaped, alternatively the
cpu is only gd for 1ghz, i the board is crap(no voltage options what so
ever) so it may well be it

on a good printer server side,lol i got it to underclock to 750 mhz. But
this dam chip runs too hot, 55c at start up!! my new sempron rig runs cooler
than that at load!, i thinks its(celeron) 180nm. Whether i wanna risk
running this thing with case cooling only i'm not quite sure.

I'm hoping the other cpu will be better but only time will tell( thanks for
all the tips and comments, even the scarcastic remarks)

Old April 5th 05, 10:56 PM
Richard Hopkins

"Veritech" wrote in message...
Its nice to dream, even its theoretical

Theoretical dreams? Do you also dream rhetorically, or hypothetically? ;-)
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Protected vs Real esara Homebuilt PC's 1 May 1st 04 06:00 AM
Do I need hi performance memory if not overclocking? Guertin Graphics Art Department Homebuilt PC's 4 February 1st 04 12:14 AM
First Time Overclocking Results uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse Overclocking 3 August 30th 03 02:36 PM
Athlon 2500XP Barton - Is this considered to be "overclocking" ? Arif Overclocking AMD Processors 5 July 1st 03 12:22 PM
Athlon 2500XP Barton - Is this considered to be "overclocking" ? Arif Asus Motherboards 5 July 1st 03 12:22 PM