Counterfeit AMD Microprocessors Discovered

Old January 3rd 05, 01:55 AM
RusH

Default Counterfeit AMD Microprocessors Discovered

Ed wrote :

Counterfeit AMD Microprocessors Discovered in Taiwan Might Have Been
Shipped to EU [ 01/02/2005 | 08:43 AM ]
Taiwan Authorities Suspend Workshop Dealing with Fake AMD Chips

Local authorities on Friday suspended a workshop that made fake, or
remarked, AMD microprocessors in Taipei, Taiwan, and seized
unprecedented number of chips of nearly one million units.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...102084049.html

not fake but with 'fixed' stickers
Thorton 2000+ = athlona xp 2600
and so on. We had bunch of those in Poland.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
Old January 3rd 05, 12:52 PM
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

RusH writes:

Ed wrote :

Counterfeit AMD Microprocessors Discovered in Taiwan Might Have Been
Shipped to EU [ 01/02/2005 | 08:43 AM ]
Taiwan Authorities Suspend Workshop Dealing with Fake AMD Chips

Local authorities on Friday suspended a workshop that made fake, or
remarked, AMD microprocessors in Taipei, Taiwan, and seized
unprecedented number of chips of nearly one million units.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...102084049.html

not fake but with 'fixed' stickers
Thorton 2000+ = athlona xp 2600
and so on. We had bunch of those in Poland.

There has been at least one case of faked/remarked AMD cpus here in
Denmark too.

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old January 4th 05, 04:00 AM
keith

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:52:43 +0100, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

RusH writes:

Ed wrote :

Counterfeit AMD Microprocessors Discovered in Taiwan Might Have Been
Shipped to EU [ 01/02/2005 | 08:43 AM ]
Taiwan Authorities Suspend Workshop Dealing with Fake AMD Chips

Local authorities on Friday suspended a workshop that made fake, or
remarked, AMD microprocessors in Taipei, Taiwan, and seized
unprecedented number of chips of nearly one million units.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...102084049.html

not fake but with 'fixed' stickers
Thorton 2000+ = athlona xp 2600
and so on. We had bunch of those in Poland.

There has been at least one case of faked/remarked AMD cpus here in
Denmark too.

I had a tray (well, one was real) counterfeit K6s some years back. It's
an ugly situation that I thought they'd fixed.

--
Keith

Old January 4th 05, 01:57 PM
RusH

keith wrote :

I had a tray (well, one was real) counterfeit K6s some years back.
It's an ugly situation that I thought they'd fixed.

trose specific AMDs have only a sticker, no laser imprinted numbers on
the core :/

Pozdrawiam.
Old January 4th 05, 02:29 PM
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

RusH writes:

keith wrote :

I had a tray (well, one was real) counterfeit K6s some years back.
It's an ugly situation that I thought they'd fixed.

trose specific AMDs have only a sticker, no laser imprinted numbers on
the core :/

Germany is on the list as well, it seems:
http://www.computerworld.dk/default....rticleID=26520

Link to the story about the forged AMD processors in Denmark:
http://www.computerworld.dk/default....rticleID=26434

(Sorry, both stories are in danish).

Description of the forgery:
"De falske XP 3200+ cpu'er har en grøn farveklat mindre end en
millimeter, der hvor overlodningen er foretaget. Farveklatten kan ses
i området omkring mærket "L3" og varierer en ganske lille smule fra
originalfarven, men ellers er cpu'en udstyret med den normale label
fra AMD for en XP 3200+ cpu."

English translation:
"The forged XP3200+ CPU's have a green dot with a diameter less than
one millimeter, where the soldering has been done. The dot can be
seen near the marking 'L3' and varies slight from the original colour,
but the CPU is labeled with the normal label from AMD for an XP3200+
CPU."

Regards,

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old January 4th 05, 02:39 PM
RusH

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote :

English translation:
"The forged XP3200+ CPU's have a green dot with a diameter less
than one millimeter, where the soldering has been done. The dot
can be seen near the marking 'L3' and varies slight from the
original colour, but the CPU is labeled with the normal label from
AMD for an XP3200+ CPU."

wow, those in poland were simply relabeled, you could see in cpu-z that
the cache was 'missing'

Pozdrawiam.
Old January 5th 05, 03:39 AM
keith

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:57:03 +0000, RusH wrote:

keith wrote :

I had a tray (well, one was real) counterfeit K6s some years back.
It's an ugly situation that I thought they'd fixed.

trose specific AMDs have only a sticker, no laser imprinted numbers on
the core :/

Oh, my. The fools. I don't buy Rolex watches off the streets of
Manhattan (or via spam) either.

Teh K6 frauds we bought were before the LASER signatures, but the fraud
was rather obvious. The units in question were turned over to our
beagles and then to AMD, and that's the last I head about 'em.
....and I was left with one real one to test, though frankly any
information gained from fraudulent parts wasn't all that interesting
either.

--
Keith
Old January 5th 05, 02:43 PM
RusH

keith wrote :

Oh, my. The fools. I don't buy Rolex watches off the streets of
Manhattan (or via spam) either.

big suppliers are no mexicans selling sh** in the back-alley

Teh K6 frauds we bought were before the LASER signatures, but the
fraud was rather obvious. The units in question were turned over
to our beagles and then to AMD, and that's the last I head about
'em. ...

well, here you can turn yourselfe on a foot at most . My favourite
quote is "this is not ours, we dont have this serial number in our
database", forget about supplier stickers, they dont sticker because
its too expensive.

Most of AMD stock comes from Germany, so I suspect that a big chunk of
them is 'fixed', even at big retailers.

Pozdrawiam.
Old January 6th 05, 02:50 AM
keith

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:43:06 +0000, RusH wrote:

keith wrote :

Oh, my. The fools. I don't buy Rolex watches off the streets of
Manhattan (or via spam) either.

big suppliers are no mexicans selling sh** in the back-alley

A sucker is still a *sucker*. I highly doubt the counterfeit processors
were bought through the "authorized" channels. Ours weren't because there
weren't any in those channels at the time. An authorized disty won't play
such silly games.

Teh K6 frauds we bought were before the LASER signatures, but the
fraud was rather obvious. The units in question were turned over
to our beagles and then to AMD, and that's the last I head about
'em. ...

well, here you can turn yourselfe on a foot at most . My favourite
quote is "this is not ours, we dont have this serial number in our
database", forget about supplier stickers, they dont sticker because
its too expensive.

Supplier? Why are you buying stuff that's not from the *manufacturer*,
or authorized disty? that's a rhetorical question

Most of AMD stock comes from Germany, so I suspect that a big chunk of
them is 'fixed', even at big retailers.

Huh? They sell to distributors and direct to manufacturers. I highly
doubt that *most* of AMD's stock "comes from" Germany. I don't know where
their stuff is packaged anymore, but I doubt that it's packaged in
Germany. When we got our counterfeit stuff, AMD was packaging in
Canuckistan. ...which, BTW was the tip-off. The bogus parts had the
wrong substrate markings. It didn't come from Canuckistan.

--
Keith

Old January 6th 05, 07:44 AM
RusH

well, I dont see any "authorised retailer" list on the www.amd.com

Most of AMD stock comes from Germany, so I suspect that a big
chunk of them is 'fixed', even at big retailers.

Huh? They sell to distributors and direct to manufacturers. I
highly doubt that *most* of AMD's stock "comes from" Germany.

most of Polish AMD stock, I should be more specific

When we got our counterfeit stuff, AMD
was packaging in Canuckistan. ...which, BTW was the tip-off. The
bogus parts had the wrong substrate markings. It didn't come from
Canuckistan.

Processors I saw were only rebranded, you could see the lack of cache
in cpuz or other program, maybe it was local branch of counterfeit.
AMD move to play with cache sizes and FSB was too tempting not to try
it I guess. I myselfe buy only semprons and unlock cache/mobile.

Pozdrawiam.