Joining two pc together

Old March 10th 07, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
naza

Default Joining two pc together

I got a bit of spare time on my hands and 2 old pcs that i brought for
comic relief. they both are the same. 300mhz with 128MB RAM. I was
wondering would it be possible to join the motherboardds together so
that the main components of the boards ie: processors, RAM, VRAM were
shared.

Old March 10th 07, 12:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

"naza" wrote in message
ups.com...
I got a bit of spare time on my hands and 2 old pcs that i brought for
comic relief. they both are the same. 300mhz with 128MB RAM. I was
wondering would it be possible to join the motherboardds together so
that the main components of the boards ie: processors, RAM, VRAM were
shared.

though you cannot electrically join them, two or more machines may work
together in a cluster

http://www.ram.org/computing/linux/linux_cluster.html

that should keep you busy for a year or so

Old March 10th 07, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
frischmoutt

Theoretically you can put one SCSI board in each, declared with different
IDs, an SCSI cable between them, hard disks, SCSi peripherals, ...
They will share the peripherals but I don't know if they'll see together.
This is an old project I aborted last year.
I'd be pleased to read the gurus about it ...

Old March 10th 07, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_2_]

You CANNOT share the CPU's and RAM of two different computers.

--
_________
DaveW
ups.com...

Old March 11th 07, 10:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
naza

Ok. I wont try electrically joining them together but i am interested
in creating a cluster. Do you know hwere i can get inofmration about
this and any ideas on how to get it working on the windows enviroment,
as i believe most of the software is for linux.

Old March 11th 07, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

I have not seen computers work together in the manner you are suggesting.
The closest thing I have seen is grid computing, similar to what seti at
home did, each computer is given a task to do then the results are
collected.

I have never seen where two independent pc's are connected in some fashion
such that computing tasks are coordinated and load balanced automatically by
the OS's.

-g

Joining SATA RAID controllers? Shawn Wilson Storage (alternative) 7 September 11th 05 12:41 AM
Joining bridges Nick Wynn Overclocking 0 October 4th 04 01:32 AM
Are Watford joining my spammers blacklist? Gareth A. UK Computer Vendors 3 October 28th 03 07:07 AM