Running 3 degrees cooler thanks to tighten up cables ;)

Old November 9th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Skybuck Flying

Default Running 3 degrees cooler thanks to tighten up cables ;)

Hello,

A few days ago I decided to finally tight up the cable in my computer.

The motherboard now runs (at least 3) degrees cooler ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 9th 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
SteveH

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
Hello,

A few days ago I decided to finally tight up the cable in my computer.

The motherboard now runs (at least 3) degrees cooler ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Now what are you wittering about?

Old November 9th 06, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mitch Crane

"SteveH" wrote in
.uk:

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
Hello,

A few days ago I decided to finally tight up the cable in my computer.

The motherboard now runs (at least 3) degrees cooler ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Now what are you wittering about?

His cable was loose. Now it's tight and the PC is way cooler. It's like
how people used to say things they liked were "cool" and now they say
"tight". Apparently this is based on an actual physical phenomenon that
causes a temperature drop in things under great tension.

--
ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgb neguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqg urerfgbsgurvetrareng
Old November 9th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Skybuck Flying

"Mitch Crane" -three wrote in message
. ..
"SteveH" wrote in
.uk:

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
Hello,

A few days ago I decided to finally tight up the cable in my computer.

Cable=Cables

The motherboard now runs (at least 3) degrees cooler ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Now what are you wittering about?

His cable was loose. Now it's tight and the PC is way cooler. It's like
how people used to say things they liked were "cool" and now they say
"tight". Apparently this is based on an actual physical phenomenon that
causes a temperature drop in things under great tension.

The airflow is now better.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 9th 06, 11:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
SteveH

[...]

So presumably you meant you tidied up the cables and the airflow has
improved, resulting in a slight drop in temperature.

SteveH

Old November 10th 06, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Skybuck Flying

"SteveH" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Yup.

Three degrees could be significant, it might be the difference between Asus'
Q-Fan control deciding to spindle or not spindle up the fan to higher rpm
and thus higher noise.

I am not sure if the end-user is able to changing the variables/parameters
of the Q-Fan control algorithm.

The asus pc probe II software does have some thresholds and such but I think
those are only ment for the warnings/alerts and not so much for the Q-Fan
algorithm/software ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 10th 06, 10:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
SteveH

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

"SteveH" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Put the fan on a fan speed controller?

SteveH

Old November 10th 06, 12:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Craig Sutton

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
Hello,

A few days ago I decided to finally tight up the cable in my computer.

The motherboard now runs (at least 3) degrees cooler ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

oh FFS...someone tell him............

Old November 11th 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Skybuck Flying

Default Wow something scary happened :)

Hello,

I was viewing a replay of my first multiplayer game of Company of Hero's
when I used Asus PC Probe II to turned off Q-Fan control.

I did this because the soundblaster/sound started to crackle... I thought
maybe the computer is getting to hot. As soon as I turned off Q-Fan control
to increase the CPU fan speed the computer shutdown.
I thought no problem... I ll reboot the computer and I ll go eat and later I
ll return etc. Then after I was done eating the computer was not responding.
I pressed reset button, nothing happened. I shutdown the computer, restarted
it and I walked away and then I heard beep beep beep beep. I was like WTF.
I walk back and the monitor is still all black no boot screen. I try reset a
couple of times... I finally decide to hold in the power button 10 seconds
to shut it down.

I tried two reboots or so but nothing. Now the computer start sounding real
weird. I notice the rare case fan is not spinning. The computer is making a
really weird sound.

I am getting really worried... I was thinking "Oh my god, is my motherboard
half dead or something ?", "Was there a voltage peak in the power ?", "Maybe
this is a result of a power surge a month ago ?"

Man I was worried ! I opened up the powered on PC and I noticed the CPU fan
wasn't spinning. I thought: "Oh my god, that can't be good ?!" "Maybe it's
stuck or something."
I tried to get both fans spinning but no luck. I thought: "Maybe there is
something wrong with the power supply." So I turned off and on the power
supply. Still no luck.

I knew I had tightened all the cables recently. So I thought I better check
all cables, maybe some cable is kinda loose.

And yup ! It turned out the power cable was kinda loose ! It probably was
half in, half out. The computer wasn't getting enough power.
How this happened is kinda strange. I didn't notice it when I tightened the
cables.

Anyway I rebooted the computer and now all is working fine. It's kinda
amazing the system was not damaged, ofcourse I can't be sure yet, time will
tell

Anyway... this should ofcourse have never happened in the first place ?!
Normally the power connector "clicks-in"... but maybe the asus a8n32-sli is
missing a little edge on the power socket.
I noticed the little clip on the connector is not "clicked in". Maybe it's
not problem but still.

I am too tired now so I better not mess with my computer. Tomorrow I might
investigate further into this almost-would-be-nightmare.

Bye,
Skybuck =D