Which of the newer cpu's runs the coldest?

Old March 18th 07, 07:46 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

Default Which of the newer cpu's runs the coldest?

Hi all,

I need to put together a 1U file server. I would like to
know which of the newer chips runs the coldest because
that seems to be a big issue with 1U cases and the fans
on the cpus are real short. Speed is a secondary issue.

thanks,
charles....

Old March 19th 07, 12:58 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
CJT

***** charles wrote:
Hi all,

I need to put together a 1U file server. I would like to
know which of the newer chips runs the coldest because
that seems to be a big issue with 1U cases and the fans
on the cpus are real short. Speed is a secondary issue.

thanks,
charles....

probably Sun CoolThreads

Old March 19th 07, 03:54 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

I need to put together a 1U file server. I would like to
know which of the newer chips runs the coldest because
that seems to be a big issue with 1U cases and the fans
on the cpus are real short. Speed is a secondary issue.

probably Sun CoolThreads

Doesn't run the code I want to run.

later....

Old March 19th 07, 04:12 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Gojira

"***** charles" wrote in message
t...
Hi all,

I need to put together a 1U file server. I would like to
know which of the newer chips runs the coldest because
that seems to be a big issue with 1U cases and the fans
on the cpus are real short. Speed is a secondary issue.

thanks,
charles....

Any Core 2 Duo runs coldest.They're also the fastest.

Old March 25th 07, 06:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Mark Hahn

I need to put together a 1U file server. I would like to
know which of the newer chips runs the coldest because

what you're looking for is actually a system with agressive
power-saving features, commonly found on desktop systems.
_less_ commonly found on server systems. since filserving is
not very intensive at all, either a core2 or recent ath64
will do fine.

that seems to be a big issue with 1U cases and the fans
on the cpus are real short. Speed is a secondary issue.

no - the norm is not to put fans on the cpus at all, but rather
engineer decent airflow through the case and use substantial
passive heatsinks on the cpus.

regards, mark hahn.
Old March 26th 07, 10:16 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles[_2_]

"Mark Hahn"
wrote in message ...
I need to put together a 1U file server. I would like to
know which of the newer chips runs the coldest because

what you're looking for is actually a system with agressive
power-saving features, commonly found on desktop systems.
_less_ commonly found on server systems. since filserving is
not very intensive at all, either a core2 or recent ath64
will do fine.

that seems to be a big issue with 1U cases and the fans
on the cpus are real short. Speed is a secondary issue.

no - the norm is not to put fans on the cpus at all, but rather
engineer decent airflow through the case and use substantial
passive heatsinks on the cpus.

regards, mark hahn.

I plan to put 4 standard size hard drives in the front of the
1U case. This pretty much blocks most of the airflow potential
through the case hence the need for a cpu fan. I just tried out
a new E4300. It was clocked at 1.86 GHz. Initally it ran at
20C but the motherboard gave an error message at bootup.
I flashed to the latest beta bios and the error message went
away but the cpu temp went up to 26C to 31C. It was still
stable. Problem was that the cpu fan was about 3 inches
plus tall, way to tall for a 1U.

later.....

Old April 1st 07, 06:10 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Mark Hahn

that seems to be a big issue with 1U cases and the fans
on the cpus are real short. Speed is a secondary issue.

no - the norm is not to put fans on the cpus at all, but rather
engineer decent airflow through the case and use substantial
passive heatsinks on the cpus.

I plan to put 4 standard size hard drives in the front of the
1U case. This pretty much blocks most of the airflow potential

nah. disks are 1", and 1U is 1.75". they also don't block the
whole width...

stable. Problem was that the cpu fan was about 3 inches
plus tall, way to tall for a 1U.

normal CPU fans are designed for desktop cases with crappy
airflow design. most of the air being so agressively circulated
past the fins is not fresh/cool air. the opposite is the norm
for 1U's, where the front of a rack is in the cold aisle and
thus taking in ~19C air, which runs straight through the node, and exits
to be cooled.

FEAR runs crappy, Quake runs fine JB Homebuilt PC's 30 December 19th 05 05:55 PM
Newer Dell cover Dell Computers 2 March 16th 05 01:03 PM
Is MMC 9.03 Newer Than 9.1 ??? Greggg Brady Ati Videocards 1 February 14th 05 04:32 PM
Drivers newer than 53.03?? Charlie Nvidia Videocards 2 August 14th 04 03:18 AM