DVD spinning speed

Old November 7th 03, 12:06 AM
Halfgaar

Default DVD spinning speed

Hello,

I've got a BENQ-DVD player in my computer and I use PowerDVD4 XP. I have the
following problem: All dvd's but one (U571) are played at rotation speeds
of 1x or 2x, so the drive is not or hardly audible. But with U571 it runs
at full speed, so besides the movie sound I have to listen to this turbine
spinning all the time. Is there a way to fix this? Are there for example
tools for setting the dvd read speed? I've searched but found nothing.

TIA

Halfgaar
--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.
Old November 7th 03, 10:08 AM
Alien Zord

"Halfgaar" wrote in message
I've got a BENQ-DVD player in my computer and I use PowerDVD4 XP. I have

the
following problem: All dvd's but one (U571) are played at rotation speeds
of 1x or 2x, so the drive is not or hardly audible. But with U571 it runs
at full speed, so besides the movie sound I have to listen to this turbine
spinning all the time. Is there a way to fix this? Are there for example
tools for setting the dvd read speed? I've searched but found nothing.

It is most likely that the disk is unbalanced or warped.

Otherwise, Nero 6 contains utility to limit the drive speed, don't know of
any others.

Old November 7th 03, 10:46 AM
Halfgaar

Alien Zord wrote:

"Halfgaar" wrote in message
I've got a BENQ-DVD player in my computer and I use PowerDVD4 XP. I have

the
following problem: All dvd's but one (U571) are played at rotation speeds
of 1x or 2x, so the drive is not or hardly audible. But with U571 it runs
at full speed, so besides the movie sound I have to listen to this
turbine spinning all the time. Is there a way to fix this? Are there for
example tools for setting the dvd read speed? I've searched but found
nothing.

It is most likely that the disk is unbalanced or warped.

I can very clearly hear that the disc spins faster then usual. Normally,
when I insert the DVD, it rotates quite fast. Then when I press play on
Powerdvd it spins down and the movie starts playing. With U571, it doesn't
spin down at all. It's not inbalance noise or something like it.

--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.
Old November 8th 03, 12:59 AM
Bastet

Halfgaar wrote:
Alien Zord wrote:

"Halfgaar" wrote in message
I've got a BENQ-DVD player in my computer and I use PowerDVD4 XP. I
have the following problem: All dvd's but one (U571) are played at
rotation speeds of 1x or 2x, so the drive is not or hardly audible.
But with U571 it runs at full speed, so besides the movie sound I
have to listen to this turbine spinning all the time. Is there a
way to fix this? Are there for example tools for setting the dvd
read speed? I've searched but found nothing.

It is most likely that the disk is unbalanced or warped.

I can very clearly hear that the disc spins faster then usual.
Normally, when I insert the DVD, it rotates quite fast. Then when I
press play on Powerdvd it spins down and the movie starts playing.
With U571, it doesn't spin down at all. It's not inbalance noise or
something like it.

No he never said that the imbalance was anything to do with the noise, there
could be a miniscule warp on the disc that's causing the issue.

Old November 8th 03, 10:45 AM
Halfgaar

Bastet wrote:

No he never said that the imbalance was anything to do with the noise,
there could be a miniscule warp on the disc that's causing the issue.

Why would the disk spin faster if there is a warp on the disc?

--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.
Old November 10th 03, 07:36 AM
Alien Zord

"Halfgaar" wrote in message
I've got a BENQ-DVD player in my computer and I use PowerDVD4 XP. I have

the
following problem: All dvd's but one (U571) are played at rotation speeds
of 1x or 2x, so the drive is not or hardly audible. But with U571 it runs
at full speed, so besides the movie sound I have to listen to this turbine
spinning all the time. Is there a way to fix this? Are there for example
tools for setting the dvd read speed? I've searched but found nothing.

Just found another such utility. If you have Nero Burning Rom 5.5 or later
then you should have Nero DriveSpeed in Ahead Nero / Nero Toolkit.

Harddisk spinning noise Shep© General 9 October 19th 03 10:07 PM
Modem speed terry General 5 September 3rd 03 01:40 AM
new Cyberdrive 52x - is my tray ejection speed normal? Pauli G General 0 July 30th 03 04:28 PM
CD burning speed determines read speed? David K General 4 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM
Cas latency among the same speed RAM modules [email protected] General 1 July 18th 03 10:51 PM