install Windows from DVD

Old January 9th 11, 02:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
liu

Default install Windows from DVD

I am putting a system with Sabertooth X58, i7 930. This is my first
system with SATA. I have a SATA HD, not an old PATA DVD. What do I
need to install both Windows XP 64-bit and Windows 7? Are there BIOS
setting in order to recognize SATA?

Thanks for the advice!
Old January 10th 11, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ghostrider

On 1/9/2011 6:34 AM, liu wrote:
I am putting a system with Sabertooth X58, i7 930. This is my first
system with SATA. I have a SATA HD, not an old PATA DVD. What do I
need to install both Windows XP 64-bit and Windows 7? Are there BIOS
setting in order to recognize SATA?

Thanks for the advice!

The computer should be able to boot from an SATA DVD
drive. In the first start-up, enter BIOS setup and
verify that an SATA device is listed as a boot device.
Windows is bootable from the DVD.

GR
Old January 12th 11, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
liu

I tried IDE DVD connected through USB, but it failed in the middle.
I'm trying to create a Flash drive with a Windows XP on it.
Old January 12th 11, 04:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
peter

?Why??
both installation DVD's will boot from a SATA connected DVD drive.
check your BIOS settings

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old January 12th 11, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
liu

On Jan 12, 11:02*am, "peter" wrote:
?Why??
both installation DVD's will boot from a SATA connected DVD drive.
check your BIOS settings

Installing XP from a IDE DVD (connected through a IDE to USB adaptor)
resulted in blue screen with stop: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF ... error
message ((with text relating to hardware change, might be no driver
for recognizing the IDE drive)
Installing Windows 7 from the same IDE DVD, there is no blue screen
but it is stuck at "Select the driver to be installed" page with "No
device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media
contains the correct drivers, and then click OK." error message.
From googling these keywords, it appears that using SATA DVD may
resolve the problem. I would try installing Windows XP from Flash
drive first before going that route.

Thanks,
Old January 12th 11, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

liu wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:02 am, "peter" wrote:
?Why??
both installation DVD's will boot from a SATA connected DVD drive.
check your BIOS settings

Installing XP from a IDE DVD (connected through a IDE to USB adaptor)
resulted in blue screen with stop: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF ... error
message ((with text relating to hardware change, might be no driver
for recognizing the IDE drive)

7B is "Inaccessible Boot Volume", and happens on a reboot, if a
driver is not present to access the boot drive. Check the BIOS settings,
and select a mode more suited to your approach. (For example, if the
BIOS was set to AHCI for the hard drive, set it to IDE and try to
boot again.)

If you want to use an exotic BIOS setting for the hard drive interface
(like RAID), at least on WinXP, you're going to need to offer a
driver via "pressing F6", early in the installation. Alternatives
to that method, include slipstreaming a driver into the install
disc, with NLite.

Installing Windows 7 from the same IDE DVD, there is no blue screen
but it is stuck at "Select the driver to be installed" page with "No
device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media
contains the correct drivers, and then click OK." error message.
From googling these keywords, it appears that using SATA DVD may
resolve the problem. I would try installing Windows XP from Flash
drive first before going that route.

Thanks,

Again, enter the BIOS setup screen, and verify the settings are correct.
WinXP will be constraining your choice of operating modes, and
generally, if you select a mode that doesn't need a driver for WinXP,
then Windows 7 won't need a driver either.

Windows 7 has IDE drivers, AHCI driver (MSAHCI), as well as specific
RAID drivers (IASTORV which is an Intel RAID driver originally shipped
with Vists - that is why there is a V in the name).

When you reboot these installations, don't forget, what needs the
*initial* driver, is the hard drive. If the driver for the
optical drive wasn't present, that wouldn't stop a completed
installation from booting. So in that sense, a SATA DVD would fix
nothing.

If you can't get the initial installation stage to work, then you'd
consider changing the optical drive to something that works. But
once the installation is finished (and you've been prompted to
reboot the computer for the first time), what counts then, is the
hard drive and the driver that supports it.

*******

Sabertooth X58

Intel ICH10R controller
6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (black)
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

WinXP - need driver for AHCI or RAID. No driver for IDE.
- use at least a WinXP SP1 installer CD

Win7 - since MSAHCI and IASTORV are present on the Windows 7
disc, any mode should work, but the choice is controlled
by what WinXP needs to install. Windows 7 must be
"rearmed", if, at a later date, you change the BIOS
setting that controls the hard drive. On WinXP, you can't
even change the BIOS operating mode later, and expect
WinXP to boot. There is a way to fix that of course.

Marvell® 9128 PCIe SATA6Gb/s controller
2 xSATA 6Gb/s ports (gray)

There is a good chance, both OSes will need a driver.
The 9128 may be too new, to be included. WinXP would require
a floppy diskette with txtsetup.oem and driver files. Or
you could slipstream the drivers, and burn a new installer CD.
I don't know the procedure for Windows 7, and offering drivers.
I suspect you have plugged your hard drive, into the 9128 connector,
and that might be consistent with your symptoms. Plug the hard drive
into an ICH10R SATA port, for an easier installation experience.
You can move the boot drive, over to the 9128 connector later,
once you've had a chance to install a driver for it, after the
OS boots for the first time via the ICH10R SATA port.

For example - connect hard drive to ICH10R, install WinXP, boot
system for first time, install Marvell 9128 driver, shut down system,
move SATA connector to 9128 port, reboot computer and it should boot.

Supports EZ Backup and SuperSpeed functions
JMicron® JMB362 SATA controller:
1 xPower eSATA 3Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
1 xeSATA 3Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)

I don't know the details on this one. The JMicron site, terms their
driver, as a "JRAID" driver, even when only a single disk is being
used. That would lead me to suspect, you *might* need a driver for
WinXP. I'm not sure about that. On my system, the only JMicron chip
I've got, controls the PATA port.

In summary, move the disk to the ICH10R SATA ports. Set the
BIOS operating mode to IDE (either Compatible or Enhanced, preferably
Enhanced as more SATA ports will work that way).

In section 3.4.2 of the PDF user manual for Sabertooth X58, I see

3.4.2 Storage Configuration

SATA COnfiguration [Enhanced]
COnfigure SATA as [IDE]

On WinXP, you'd want at least WinXP SP1 installer CD, and then
no driver would be required for those settings. Windows 7 can
also install, without a driver, for that operating mode.

HTH,
Paul
Old January 16th 11, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
liu

Paul, thanks for the thorough info. I did the slipstreaming and it
worked after I installed it from a SATA DVD drive. It's resolved.
Thank you all for the help!