Computer not starting after build

Old April 6th 08, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
rarewolf

Default Computer not starting after build

Rather than provide my symptoms and hope that someone has a remedy, I
thought I'd first ask if someone hasn't already put togther a list of
possible remedies relative to symptoms?

My own proble with rebuilding a media center computer:
Intel DG33TL mobo (using onboard video and sound)
Intel DualCore E6750 CPU
Corsair DDR2 1Mb memory (x2)
Seagate 320Gb HDs (x2)

Symptom:
Refuses to start and without any display messages ...
Disk lites and fans come on for 5sec, stop, this repeats with a cycle
~10 seconds.

I imagine this points to CPU or mobo ... leastwise, a RAM problem is
supposed to be 3 beeps(?)

TIA
Old April 6th 08, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

"rarewolf" wrote in message
Rather than provide my symptoms and hope that someone has a remedy, I
thought I'd first ask if someone hasn't already put togther a list of
possible remedies relative to symptoms?

My own proble with rebuilding a media center computer:
Intel DG33TL mobo (using onboard video and sound)
Intel DualCore E6750 CPU
Corsair DDR2 1Mb memory (x2)
Seagate 320Gb HDs (x2)

Symptom:
Refuses to start and without any display messages ...
Disk lites and fans come on for 5sec, stop, this repeats with a cycle
~10 seconds.

I imagine this points to CPU or mobo ... leastwise, a RAM problem is
supposed to be 3 beeps(?)

TIA

On new builds it's best to start out with a minimal hardware configuration
until you can at least get the machine to post.

Basically start out with nothing but the powersupply, motherboard, video
card and RAM.
Reset the bios to default and see if the machine can even post.

Go from there

Old April 6th 08, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
rarewolf

On Apr 6, 11:53*am, "philo" wrote:
"rarewolf" wrote in message

[...]

Go from there- Hide quoted text -

Thank you your reply ... but I wonder how more minimal my first boot
was. That is, I even tried disconnecting the SATA HDs and the IDE DVD
drive.

BTW, I did find an excellent forum at Motherboards.org. Short of
receiving a definative answer before tomorrow, or some other miracle,
it will be taken to a shop tomorrow ... and I'll post the remedy here,
even if it was something entirely stupid ...g...

cheerios
Old April 6th 08, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"rarewolf" wrote in message
On Apr 6, 11:53 am, "philo" wrote:
"rarewolf" wrote in message

[...]

What PSU?? Can be duff/inadequate PSU. Try only one Memory module. Chec
memory voltage set correctly.

Mike.

Old April 8th 08, 01:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
rarewolf

On Apr 7, 8:12*am, yogi wrote:
On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 21:53:37 -0400, "RobV"
wrote:

rarewolf wrote:
Rather than provide my symptoms and hope that someone has a remedy, I
thought I'd first ask if someone hasn't already put togther a list of
possible remedies relative to symptoms?

My own proble with rebuilding a media center computer:
Intel DG33TL mobo (using onboard video and sound)
Intel DualCore E6750 CPU
Corsair DDR2 1Mb memory (x2)
Seagate 320Gb HDs (x2)

Symptom:
Refuses to start and without any display messages ...
Disk lites and fans come on for 5sec, stop, this repeats with a cycle
~10 seconds.

I imagine this points to CPU or mobo ... leastwise, a RAM problem is
supposed to be 3 beeps(?)

TIA *

Are you sure the CPU heasink fan is plugged into the proper socket on
the MB?
It could also be the heatsink is not seated correctly, or the heatsink
compound not installed properly. *If it's the stock heatsink, did you
remove the plastic from the bottom, where it makes contact with the CPU?

You might also look here for some clue's.http://support.intel.com/support/mot...esktop/dg33tl/
HTH- Hide quoted text -

Thanx all for your interest in my problem. As it turns out, the
advise to minimise the hardware would have pointed to the problem.
IE, whereas I implied I had tried a minimal hardware config, I did not
-- a Linksys wireless card occupied the only PCI slot. When it was
removed all was good. More info can be found by Googling ... for
instance:

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...d.php?t=179436

... which even implies the card may have damaged the mobo! Anyone
have any thoughts?

Thanx again
Old April 8th 08, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

wrote:

rarewolf wrote:
[...]

Glad you got it figured out. Though anything is possible I suppose. I don't
recall ever seeing a bad PCI card take out a mobo