bottom mounted power supplies

Old November 16th 10, 01:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
smithdoerr[_3_]

Default bottom mounted power supplies

"Ian D" wrote in message

The PSU is usually in its own compartment, basically
sealed off from the rest of the case, except for cable
routing openings. Also, there is a fan, and probably
a drive bay for 2 HDs, all in line with the PSU. There's
a straight line front to back air flow.

Antec does indeed make cases where the power supply is in a separate
compartment but these are not the norm and may be more expensive than what
the original poster wants to spend.

The original poster is looking at the 300 series cases which are more
affordable but do no feature a separate compartment for the PS or behind the
motherboard wiring. The 300s are still a good buy though.

--

-smithdoerr

Old November 16th 10, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brian Cryer[_3_]

"coltrane" wrote in message
I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly in this newsgroup ages back) about
the problem of dust with bottom mounted power supplies. Yes, it was in
this newsgroup:
http://alt.newsgroups.archived.at/co...314126512.html
- looking back the consensus seemed to be that dust would be unlikley to
be a problem (YMMV). While looking for this I have read comments
elsewhere which implied that dust could be a problem, but none which
indicated it IS a problem.

The case I am looking at says it has filters to prevent dust. This doesn't
apply to the PSU so dust might be an issue especially being on bottom.

I suppose that since the PSU sucks air out of the case, having filters on
the main points of entry should help.

If you end up buying it then don't forget to periodically look at your
filters to clean them. I had a bit of a shock over the weekend at how much
dust was in one of my filters on my pc.

Given that hot air rises you do have the advantage with a bottom mounted
supply that the power supply should run cooler. On the other hand this
would imply that other components might run hotter - so you then need a
fan at the top of the case to get rid of the hot air - which I assume
would be provided.

The case does have 2 fans on the top.

Sounds reqsonable.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Old November 16th 10, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jon Danniken[_5_]

Brian Cryer wrote:
Given that hot air rises you do have the advantage with a bottom
mounted supply that the power supply should run cooler. On the other
hand this would imply that other components might run hotter - so you
then need a fan at the top of the case to get rid of the hot air -
which I assume would be provided.

Hot air does rise, in the absence of other air movement, but what happens
when there are multiple fans interrupting it, directing it along pre-defined
pathways?

Jon

Old November 17th 10, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peter

I would suggest you add a 120mm fan to the front.This would keep your HD
cooler
The top 2 fans draw the hot air from the CPU cooler out.
The bottom mounted PSU will draw fresh air in if you buy the right model and
the
PSU Fan will blow that cool air over the inside of the PSU and out the back
of the PSU
Theoretically none of the hot PSU air should enter the case.
After looking at this Article you might want to reconsider that purchase
but then it all depends upon what your putting inside
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3439

You might want to consider the 600 for only $20.00 more

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.
"coltrane" wrote in message ...

[...]

thanks

Old November 18th 10, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
coltrane

Even with top mounted PSUs, I always try to keep PCs off the floor to
reduce dust build-up. Even 2cms above the floor reduces dust
significantly. If you have to put your PC on the floor, put it on an old
phone book to get it up a bit.

good idea. gives me a reason to go cut up some 2x4s sitting in the garage

Power supply at the bottom of the computer chassis? Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) Homebuilt PC's 37 March 18th 10 07:23 PM
Power Supplies jc General Hardware 0 February 20th 05 04:32 PM
PC Power & Cooling power supplies -- what parts are theirs? G.W. Bush General 1 March 8th 04 05:58 PM
Power Supplies - Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please? - TIA Pete Overclocking AMD Processors 8 February 2nd 04 09:22 AM
Power Supplies (P4) Chris UK Computer Vendors 0 July 16th 03 06:46 PM