Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch ExternalHDD!

Old April 30th 08, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
Prisoner at War

Default Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One TouchExternal HDD!

On Apr 29, 3:53 pm, kony wrote:

I wouldn't know the I from the II, III, or 4 by pictures but
if you do you might try this link,http://www.google.com/products?q=Max...II+-III+-4+-IV

Thanks, man, but unfortunately no one there sells it, either.

I don't understand google's popularity...it pulls up so much
irrelevant garbage!

I think I'll just get a 32 or even 64GB USB flash drive...?

Unfortunately sellers are likely to still be selling at the
higher yesteryear prices instead of taking a loss adjusting
down to current market value. Such is often the case since
the lower priced sellers tend to sell out of old stock much
sooner.

http://www.Surpluscomputers.com,http://www.geeks.com, orhttp://www.amazon.commight also be worth checking in
addition to ebay. Then there'shttp://www.craigslist.org/
but for some items that seems like more trouble than it's
worth.

Thanks again...looks like this thing has gone extinct!
Old April 30th 08, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Prisoner at War wrote:
On Apr 29, 7:03 pm, Arno Wagner wrote:

Any specific reason?

Arno

Ah, just 'cause I have one already and want another external HDD to
match it!

But the wider question is, just where do unsold hardware go??

I mean, it's unlikely that every single piece ever manufactured was
sold, right?

Depends. Some manufacturers try to slightly undersupply and
units in stock are often low for items that do not sell well.

If not sold, just what happens to them?

Sold later or eventually thrown out. My local computer parts
supplier has only stock for things that sell well. Things that
not sell too well, they get from one central supplier (may be
different for different products) in Switzerland. But even things
that sell well occasionally show up as "no stock at supplier"
and when asking them they say something like it may take
4-10 weeks to get it or may not be possible at all because
the manufacturer is out of stock. With computer items being
low-margin items, my guess would be there is not a lot of
unsold stock to go around in the rest of the world either.

Do companies bury them the way Atari buried all those unsold E.T. game
cartridges? (And what the heck is the sense in spending money to
destroy product?? Why not give them away, even if only for the free
publicity???)

Very simple: The typical person wants to buy "a videogame".
If they get one for free, they mught not want to get another one.
So not giving the wirthless ones away but destroying them may
generate a future sale. At least that is the marketing PoV.
If the game is really bad, destroying it may also be the better
option.

I do know that just warehousing something costs money, though....

Indeed.

Arno
Old April 30th 08, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
Squeeze

Prisoner at War wrote in
On Apr 29, 7:03 pm, Arno Wagner wrote:

Any specific reason?

Arno

Ah, just 'cause I have one already and want another external HDD to
match it!

But the wider question is, just where do unsold hardware go??

To surplus hardware brokers.
And they sell it on to everyone else who buys in bulk and then you may
buy it from them.

I mean, it's unlikely that every single piece ever manufactured was
sold, right?

It will, eventually. No supply is endless.

Old April 30th 08, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
DanielEKFA

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message

Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
want it new!

Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??

I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

Okay, sorry... I understand you don't want a used one because of the state
of the drive, but have you thought about getting a used one cheap just for
the casing? You could always just swap the drive inside for a new one?

Not sure which one it is, though, I have three different models of the
Maxtor, one in white plastic which is Firewire only (and broken), one in
blue plastic which is Firewire and USB2, and one which is aluminum and also
Firewire and USB2.

TIA!!

Old May 1st 08, 02:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
sdlomi2

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message

Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
want it new!

Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??

I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

TIA!!

I don't know if anyone else has answered likewise, but I have one,
unopened, still in the fatory box. I bought it on ebay--it was too cheap to
pass it up. I also have another one, just smaller harddrive, that I have
been using about 10 months, and that's what brought my attention to it.
Maybe I could put it on Ebay for you to buy, if you are afraid of a direct
sale between us. Remove the obvious and join together to email. daniels_sam
at bellsouth.spamnet--just be sure to include the "underscore" between
names. Luck to you. sdlomi2

Old May 1st 08, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
kony

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:33:51 -0700 (PDT), Prisoner at War
wrote:

On Apr 29, 7:03 pm, Arno Wagner wrote:

Any specific reason?

Arno

Ah, just 'cause I have one already and want another external HDD to
match it!

But the wider question is, just where do unsold hardware go??

I mean, it's unlikely that every single piece ever manufactured was
sold, right?

What ends up happening is products that don't sell fast
aren't stocked anymore, so the few remaining sell eventually
just slower.

If not sold, just what happens to them?

A certain number will sit to cover warranty replacement
situations, then when that period is over they'd get sold in
mass. It's possible they would sell them with the
stipulation that the case had to be destroyed, only the
drive inside sold as OEM.

Do companies bury them the way Atari buried all those unsold E.T. game
cartridges? (And what the heck is the sense in spending money to
destroy product?? Why not give them away, even if only for the free
publicity???)

Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it? As
someone else already wrote it could potentially devalue
other products. If you give away everything then you
certainly keep some people from buying instead. I'd imagine
they assume most people would rather have the newer product,
and since drive capacities went up over time the newer
product should have more capacity per $ too.

I do know that just warehousing something costs money, though....

Maybe the better question is why you assume they would have
kept making them if they didn't have any expectation that
they'd sell them. There might be some seller out there with
a few sitting on a shelf somewhere, perhaps at a store or PC
shop but you already see the problem with that- They have
stock because nobody can easily locate them as someone
selling the product. If you can get the UPC number off the
box, you might be able to call some computer shops or
general department superstores in larger metropolitan areas
and have them enter that UPC # into their system to see if
they can find stock there, or at other same name stores
linked into same database.

Then again, you could just buy two of the newer version,
then you'd have a matching pair. Another alternative is of
course to buy two empty enclosures, pull the drive out of
the maxtor and buy another bare drive to populate both of
them.
Old May 1st 08, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Thats essentially what happens with the stuff that ends up free after rebate.

Old May 1st 08, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
kony

On Fri, 2 May 2008 05:53:45 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

Thats essentially what happens with the stuff that ends up free after rebate.

I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
givaway-loss to the manufacturer.

I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since
around the beginning of 2006. I don't mean one-off deals, I
mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could
get a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per
platter at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate,
roughly 50% off.
Old May 2nd 08, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
Rod Speed

kony wrote
Rod Speed wrote
kony wrote

Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

Thats essentially what happens with the stuff that ends up free after rebate.

I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
givaway-loss to the manufacturer.

Irrelevant to whether its still essentially free to the
consumer who chooses to avail themselves of the rebate.

I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since around the beginning of 2006.

Irrelevant to whether they do happen.

I don't mean one-off deals,

You cant ignore those.

I mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could get
a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per platter
at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate, roughly 50% off.

There's plenty of other free after rebate deals on other products.

Old May 2nd 08, 02:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,misc.forsale.computers.other.misc,misc.consumers
Michael Black[_2_]

wrote:

Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

Thats essentially what happens with the stuff that ends up free after rebate.

I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
givaway-loss to the manufacturer.

I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since
around the beginning of 2006. I don't mean one-off deals, I
mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could
get a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per
platter at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate,
roughly 50% off.

Well so many people whined about the "unfairness" of rebates
that the companies pretty much dropped them. And as was
expected, the really great deals disappeared.

Companies can't give away stuff all the time, or give a really
great discount. Rebates were the tradeoff, offering a great
deal for those willing to make the effort.

The whiners didn't understand what the rebates were about,
so they killed the golden goose.

There was never any chance that things would be free if
every single item had to be free.

Michael