Stupid Question WIFI

Old March 9th 08, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
mwebsurfer

Default Stupid Question WIFI

I just built a system with an Asus P5KE -WIFI Mb and would
like to use the LAN feature. Do I need to get a router and
adapter to connect a second pc? And can both pc's use the
internet at the same time? I have absolutely no experience
with wifi or lans soany advice or help will be appreciated.
I'm using XP PRO.
Old March 9th 08, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
old man

If you want 2 or more PC's to access internet independently, then a router
is the normal way
modemrouterPC's via wireless or lan

Old March 10th 08, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
daytripper

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:34:55 GMT, mwebsurfer wrote:

I just built a system with an Asus P5KE -WIFI Mb and would
like to use the LAN feature. Do I need to get a router and
adapter to connect a second pc? And can both pc's use the
internet at the same time? I have absolutely no experience
with wifi or lans soany advice or help will be appreciated.
I'm using XP PRO.

So...you didn't appreciate the answers the first time you posted this
question?

Get a router.

/daytripper
Old March 10th 08, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Fred

"mwebsurfer" wrote in message
I just built a system with an Asus P5KE -WIFI Mb and would
like to use the LAN feature. Do I need to get a router and
adapter to connect a second pc? And can both pc's use the
internet at the same time? I have absolutely no experience
with wifi or lans soany advice or help will be appreciated.
I'm using XP PRO.

From you posting title I presume that you are referring to wireless
connectivity only and will respond accordingly.
The included wireless card with this motherboard can be configured in three
modes as detailed in the wifi-ap manual.
Ad-hoc:
The card acts just like any wireless card and connects to other wireless
devices within range.
Infrastructure mode:
Designed to put the card into wireless adapter mode. Your computer would
interact with other devices through a central wireless Access Point like a
wireless router or router/modem.
Software Access Point:
Configures your wireless card as the central wireless access point that
provides LAN connection and internet sharing for your other wireless
devices.
Using this mode you would have to purchase something like a pci wireless
card for your second computer.
Yes both computers could access the net simultaneously alyhough the Asus one
would need to be powered up to allow access for the second.

Personally I prefer a separate modem/wireless router for LAN acess.

Old March 12th 08, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
mwebsurfer

Fred wrote:

"mwebsurfer" wrote in message

I just built a system with an Asus P5KE -WIFI Mb and would
like to use the LAN feature. Do I need to get a router and
adapter to connect a second pc? And can both pc's use the
internet at the same time? I have absolutely no experience
with wifi or lans soany advice or help will be appreciated.
I'm using XP PRO.

From you posting title I presume that you are referring to wireless
[...]

Fred: I just want to hook up two computers wirelessly and connect to
the Internet via my DSL provider. My new PC has wifi. do I need to use
this or should I just use a router and a wireless adapter for my

second Pc?.
Old March 13th 08, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
sdlomi2

snip

Fred: I just want to hook up two computers wirelessly and connect to
the Internet via my DSL provider. My new PC has wifi. do I need to use
this or should I just use a router and a wireless adapter for my

second Pc?.

Get a 4-port wireless router. Belkin F5D7230-4 works good for me. Run
cord from DSL to input of it. Run one cable from one of the 4 output ports
to OLD pc's lan-connection. Use NEW pc to connect wirelessly to the router.
HTH & hope you enjoy. BTW: This is ALL I know about topic--just happens to
be what I'm using. sdlomi2