Replace or not to replace? GA-7VTXE+

Old May 3rd 05, 03:44 PM
David Burnsed

Default Replace or not to replace? GA-7VTXE+

I've started having problems keeping my computer running. Sometimes while on
the internet or playing games - doesn't really seem to matter,I get either
booted back to the desktop or the computer reboots and then says windows has
recovered from a serious error. When it gives me a link to the Microsoft
Crash Analysis site it almost always says an unknown driver caused the
problem. Just recently it said there was a CPU hardware error. I've updated
video, audio, and board drivers but it's still the same. There does look
like there has been some swelling of the capacitors around the CPU, but most
times everything works fine. This system is about 3 years, old from the time
I purchased it refurbished from Tiger Direct, so yes it is out of warranty.
The main problem I have with replacing the motherboard is not the task
itself but having the XP reinstall disks that came with my computer not
recognize the new motherboard as the same system. I've looked around a
little at some replacements but have become more confused than anything
else.

Would replacing this board solve anything or should I look elsewhere for a
solution?

If I should replace the motherboard should I try to get an identical one and
what steps should I take to make sure everything is compatible.

David

Old May 4th 05, 02:15 AM
Anonymoose

"David Burnsed" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I had the same problem with my old 7VTXH+. I managed to find several on ebay
and bought one. swapped it out and its still running today on the same
windows install too. you may want to replace that board before the swollen
caps cause other, possible permanent problems. I found one on ebay for you
incase you're interested. better hurry, only about 1 hr left on it.
http://tinyurl.com/8h698
Chances are, however, if you do get an entirely different board you will not
be able to boot into windows xp successfully. good luck and hope this
helped.

Old May 9th 05, 04:53 AM
Davy

I think (don't take me as CERTAIN) all you need to do is to copy the
i386 files.

see following

http;//support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

I seem to think its the first one you come to, it was somewhere round
there I was reading about doing a re-install without the windows disc
and involves copying some files.

Maybe you have looked already - thought Id mention it just incase.

Cheers from Davy

Old May 9th 05, 04:53 AM
Davy

Davy again,

Sorry forgot to mention, somewhere in there is a mention on a
microsoft fix as its a known problem with some graphic cards.

Old May 9th 05, 04:53 AM
Davy

Just read about swelling of the capacitors (caps in trade) think best
bet is a new mobo becoz when caps swell you can bet gas as been
generated. good capacitor's will have pure capacitance, but as it
ages it dries out and becomes less effective as a capacitor due to
the increase in 'series resistance' as this ESR rises, the capacitor
looses its abilitiy to handle the HF pulses and generates heat which
in turn generates gas thus the expansion, modern ones usually have
vent's in to stop explosion and are rated at 105 degree C (some new
ones are rated at 125 degree C) - not that they reach these
temperatures, just the maximum environment they can cope with.

Low ESR caps handles the high frequency pulses better than normal
types.

I'll try to explain,
For example a normal transformer power supply would rectify and
smooth at 50/60Hz and use normal capacitors (standard 85 degree C
types) and indeed all components would need to be large.

A switch mode power supply normally rectifies at about 18KHz Low ESR
caps would smooth the HF ripples better than standard ones.

A switch-mode supply is a lot more efficient and indeed a lot less
smaller becoz they don't use a whopping big transformer, imagine the
size of a 50/60Hz transformer and the size of components to supply
your 3.3V @ 20 amps or so for your cpu and RAMs (amongs other
voltages required).

The reason for this comparison is becoz computers runs on HF pulses

I very much doubt you will improve matters only by a mobo change, if
you retain your HDD you SHOULD be able to remove old drivers after a
mobo change and install new ones.

I would imagine the problem you are having would get worse over time
due to the caps, also I did not mention (which could be even more
serious) when capacitors expand, they leak electrolyte and if this
gets onto the copper tracks it could either become 'leaky' ie act as
resistances or even corrode the tracks - so take a close look around
the base of the caps, sometimes you can smell the stuff

Sorry for not reading the thread properly - my fault maybe third time
lucky.