Windows XP 64bit 1218 is ready to download at Microsoft

Old August 21st 04, 08:32 PM
Carlo Razzeto

"Joćo Manuel Moura Paredes" wrote in message
Carlo Razzeto wrote:

Quake III ran well. But Visual Studio.NET 2003 should work in 32bit mode.
And it
doesn't. It specifically says that it's not going to install itself on a
64bit
platform (perhaps feeling embarrassed with the power of the machine ).
But MS
does have .Net ported to 64 bits, although still in beta stages. You can
download it from MS site, although I don't have the direct link here.

Well, I guess they are further along in porting .Net over, but still. Visial
Studio needs to be patched to understand how to use the new framework.
Getting Visual Studio.Net to run on Windows64 is a much different
propisition than getting Quake III to run. I'm sure soon enough they'll have
something to get Visual Studio going, in the mean time WindowsXP 64 isn't in
any shape to be a day to day use workstation OS so it's best not to be
thinking of it quite yet. What it is right now is a preview of what should
be a fairly nice workstation OS. This is why I duel boot, I can do all my
..Net work in win32, and play around in Win64 whenever I want.

Carlo

Old August 21st 04, 09:57 PM
Joćo Manuel Moura Paredes

Carlo Razzeto wrote:

I'm sure soon enough they'll have
something to get Visual Studio going, in the mean time WindowsXP 64 isn't in
any shape to be a day to day use workstation OS so it's best not to be
thinking of it quite yet.

Carlo

Win64 beta shouldn't be a day-to-day use workstation, but I do hope Win64 final
be. I am a low level developer (OS and programming language stuff) and cannot
do without a decent low level language compiler for the native architecture of
each machine I work on.

Old August 22nd 04, 05:22 AM
Carlo Razzeto

Carlo Razzeto wrote:

I'm sure soon enough they'll have
something to get Visual Studio going, in the mean time WindowsXP 64 isn't
in
any shape to be a day to day use workstation OS so it's best not to be
thinking of it quite yet.

Carlo

Win64 beta shouldn't be a day-to-day use workstation, but I do hope Win64
final
be. I am a low level developer (OS and programming language stuff) and
cannot
do without a decent low level language compiler for the native
architecture of
each machine I work on.

Should already be there... Microsoft has already discussed their driver
development tools for Win64 extensivly, I'm sure there's a beta you can
download at least. There for you should be able to code in C++/Assembler. By
the time Win64 is gold I'm sure you'll have everything you need to write any
system level app you want.

Carlo