Windows XP 64bit 1218 is ready to download at Microsoft

Old August 19th 04, 04:19 PM
Ugly Mugly

Jason Cothran wrote:
"quasar" wrote in message
How does it compare to the 32 bit version of XP (running on the same
64 bit architecture that is) i.e. how does xp64-on-654/939 compare to
xp32-on-754/939? Is it faster in any respect?

For now, yes. It is considerably faster. A lot of that has to do with
how "raw" it is though. Once they add all there bloatware in there,
it will likely slow down some, but the early releases look promising.
On the flip side, it is already considerably faster "feeling", and
that's without good drver optimization. From that viewpoint, it also
stands to get better even as they add the "bloatware" into it. I have
a good feeling about things to come in the future. They won't catch
Linux on 64-bit any time soon, but at least they are putting forth an
effort to put out a product even if it is way overdue.

I guess you have been away from Windows for awhile. There is a program out
that will let you remove many of the xtras that you misname "bloatware"
Heck, most versions of Linux come on 3 or more CD's nowdays. Windows still
comes on 1 cd. So, who has the more xtras? )

Old August 19th 04, 05:12 PM
quasar

For now, yes. It is considerably faster. A lot of that has to do with how
"raw" it is though. Once they add all there bloatware in there, it will
likely slow down some, but the early releases look promising. On the flip
side, it is already considerably faster "feeling", and that's without good
drver optimization. From that viewpoint, it also stands to get better even
as they add the "bloatware" into it. I have a good feeling about things to
come in the future. They won't catch Linux on 64-bit any time soon, but at
least they are putting forth an effort to put out a product even if it is
way overdue.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated! I am definitely excited about
getting into some 939 H/W. I am just trying to evaluate the time of best
entry. I will step with caution, with no rush, as I know I will soon have my
new 64bit neon glitter magic machine.

Old August 19th 04, 11:44 PM
Carlo Razzeto

"Steve Midgley" wrote in message
"Carlo Razzeto" wrote in message

I booted from the 1218 disk, did a repair install over 1069 and was able
keep my old configuration. It worked perfectly.

Steve Midgley

Excellent, I'm glad to hear I don't have to lose the few programs I
installed etc... Unfortunetly my DSL descided to take a dive late last night
and I was due into work early, but hopefully I'll get it installed yet. I'm
really hopeing that with the new public beta MS maybe getting ready to gear
up for some RC's...

Carlo

Old August 20th 04, 12:59 AM
Jason Cothran

"Ugly Mugly" wrote in message
| Jason Cothran wrote:
| "quasar" wrote in message
| How does it compare to the 32 bit version of XP (running on the same
| 64 bit architecture that is) i.e. how does xp64-on-654/939 compare to
| xp32-on-754/939? Is it faster in any respect?
|

| For now, yes. It is considerably faster. A lot of that has to do with
| how "raw" it is though. Once they add all there bloatware in there,
| it will likely slow down some, but the early releases look promising.
| On the flip side, it is already considerably faster "feeling", and
| that's without good drver optimization. From that viewpoint, it also
| stands to get better even as they add the "bloatware" into it. I have
| a good feeling about things to come in the future. They won't catch
| Linux on 64-bit any time soon, but at least they are putting forth an
| effort to put out a product even if it is way overdue.
|
| I guess you have been away from Windows for awhile. There is a program out
| that will let you remove many of the xtras that you misname "bloatware"
| Heck, most versions of Linux come on 3 or more CD's nowdays. Windows still
| comes on 1 cd. So, who has the more xtras? )

Sorry if I riled you, but Windows is my primary OS. I didn't mean to ****
off any fanboy by calling bloatware bloatware. This was not meant as a slam
on windows, but a statement of the current condition of the OS. I am sorry
you woke up on the wrong side of the bed and welcome to kill-file for your
unconstructive, militant "input".

Old August 20th 04, 01:15 AM
Ugly Mugly

Jason Cothran wrote:
"Ugly Mugly" wrote in message
Jason Cothran wrote:
"quasar" wrote in message
[...]

It seems as it is you that woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I only
wrote what is true. I love Mandrake btw, and am a paying member. But I also
am aware that it takes 4 CD's to install Mandrake 10 AMD64 Final. I doubt
it will go over 1 cd for Windows XP 64bit. That was my point. If I offended
you by my candor, then you need to stay away from newsgroups.

Old August 20th 04, 09:11 AM
Joćo Manuel Moura Paredes

Ugly Mugly wrote:

I guess you have been away from Windows for awhile. There is a program out
that will let you remove many of the xtras that you misname "bloatware"
Heck, most versions of Linux come on 3 or more CD's nowdays. Windows still
comes on 1 cd. So, who has the more xtras? )

Yes, but while with Windows' 1 CD you get about 1.1G of stuff installed on your
harddrive and nothing more than the operating system, you need only 500M of a
Linux distro installed in your harddrive to get the operating system, graphics
environment and 2 or 3 desktop managers, compiler for C, C++, and Objc, 3 or 4
assemblers, the devels of all libraries, an office suite, an imaging program,
cd recording utilites, web server and php interpreter, one or two database
servers, multimedia utilities and a complete development environment.
Old August 20th 04, 01:20 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"Joćo" == Joćo Manuel Moura Paredes writes:

I guess you have been away from Windows for awhile. There is a
program out that will let you remove many of the xtras that you
misname "bloatware" Heck, most versions of Linux come on 3 or more
CD's nowdays. Windows still comes on 1 cd. So, who has the more
xtras? )

What is the name of that program? Is it free?

Thanks!

Joćo Yes, but while with Windows' 1 CD you get about 1.1G of stuff
Joćo installed on your harddrive and nothing more than the operating
Joćo system, you need only 500M of a Linux distro installed in your
Joćo harddrive to get the operating system, graphics environment and
Joćo 2 or 3 desktop managers, compiler for C, C++, and Objc, 3 or 4
Joćo assemblers, the devels of all libraries, an office suite, an
Joćo imaging program, cd recording utilites, web server and php
Joćo interpreter, one or two database servers, multimedia utilities
Joćo and a complete development environment.

Hay, what do you expect?

Later,

Alan
Old August 20th 04, 01:57 PM
malcolm

"Steve Midgley" wrote in message
and how is it different ?
do they have network working now on it?
I coundnt get my network running when I tried the last version of win64,
regards malcolm

For starters, it looks much more like a finished operating system. The
log-on and log-off are like XP, themes are enabled, sytem restore is
available, the parallel port works but my printer still isn't supported

and
a lot of other little things. There is a firewall similar to the one in

XP
SP2.

I wish I could tell you that your networking is going to work but that I

do
not know. I do know that my Linksys wireless adapter still isn't going to
work but my onboard nVidia always has worked. What network card or onboard
network device do you have?

Steve Midgley

hello Steve
3C Gigabyte onboard network, on an ALbatron K8X800 pro2 mobo.
I coundnt get a MS NIC working either with the earlier 64os.
regards malcolm

Old August 20th 04, 02:39 PM
Jason Cothran

"Joćo Manuel Moura Paredes" wrote in message
| Ugly Mugly wrote:
|
| I guess you have been away from Windows for awhile. There is a program
out
| that will let you remove many of the xtras that you misname "bloatware"
| Heck, most versions of Linux come on 3 or more CD's nowdays. Windows
still
| comes on 1 cd. So, who has the more xtras? )
|

| Yes, but while with Windows' 1 CD you get about 1.1G of stuff installed on
your
| harddrive and nothing more than the operating system, you need only 500M
of a
| Linux distro installed in your harddrive to get the operating system,
graphics
| environment and 2 or 3 desktop managers, compiler for C, C++, and Objc, 3
or 4
| assemblers, the devels of all libraries, an office suite, an imaging
program,
| cd recording utilites, web server and php interpreter, one or two database
| servers, multimedia utilities and a complete development environment.

Don't confuse him with facts lol.