Installing Ati Radeon 9700 drivers to Mandrake Linux 9.2

Old January 14th 04, 08:04 PM
Meinz

Default Installing Ati Radeon 9700 drivers to Mandrake Linux 9.2

I've been trying for a couple of day to install the Radeon drivers
without any luck. I've read all kinds of readmes but nothing helps.
Now could somebody please help me. I have Kernel 2.4.22 and XFree86
4.3.0 and Glibc 2.3.2 and when I install the drivers meant for XFree86
4.3.0 i get this message.

[root@cs163104 Downloads]# rpm -i --force
fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm
warning: user mtippett does not exist - using root
warning: group mtippett does not exist - using root
[...]
*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
*** WARNING ***
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware
acclerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
*** Error: no kernel module build environment - please consult readme.
Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application
===
ATI display drivers successfully installed
please run 'fglrxconfig' now

Then when I try to do that ./make.sh thing I get an error message like
this:

ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
initializing...
kernel includes at /usr/src/linux/include not found or incomplete
file: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h

Now I would be VERY grateful if somebody could help me with this
question..
Thnx.
Old January 15th 04, 02:48 AM
Ron Cook

Old January 15th 04, 07:09 PM
Meinz

Ok, thnx for the advice, I installed the kernel source and this time
when i run the rpm -i --force fgl...rpm(radeon drivers) I get this
message.
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware
acclerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
*** Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module
now.
ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
initializing...
cleaning...
patching 'highmem.h'...
skipping patch for 'drmP.h', not needed
patching 'drm_os_linux.h'...
probing for VMA API version...
doing script based build for kernel 2.4.x and similar
compiling './agpgart_be.c'...
compiling './agp3.c'...
compiling './i7505-agp.c'...
compiling './nvidia-agp.c'...
compiling './firegl_public.c'...
linking of fglrx kernel module...
duplicating results into driver repository...
done.
==============================
- creating symlink
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel module
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.22-26mdk/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o
will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI
Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about
tainted modules
Module fglrx loaded, with warnings
done.
Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application
===
ATI display drivers successfully installed
please run 'fglrxconfig' now
To me it seems that the installation program builds a module
environment and
then installs the drivers. However after I've run fglrxconfig my
computer is slower than it was before I installed the drivers. Also
when I run glxinfo the the direct rendering is no and also it has the
following lines:
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
Now I'm under the impression that the drivers should install some ati
stuff to the OpenGl parts.
I'm sorry for being kind of a newbie in linux but I've only had it for
less than a week but I would really want these drivers to work. I
apreciate all help I can get.
Thnx.